Looking For Website Feedback!

elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er4/3/15 2:33 am
1 emeralds 1.1k 10
4/22/2015 3:37 pm
elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er
I've spent the past couple of days working on my brand new website. My goal was to create a place where I could organize all of my tutorials, and various projects in one place. There's not a whole lot there at the moment, but that's because I wanted to get some feedback before I added much more content.

I'm currently more focused on functionality than looks. Don't get me wrong, I want my website to look pretty good, but I'm not wanting anything fancy for looks. The current theme of the site is good enough for me.

Here's the site

The biggest thing I'm unsure of, is the syntax highlighting. I'm currently using a service called Snipt. I really like the looks of it, but it doesn't have any advanced features. It'd also be nice if there was a way to create links inside of syntax, but I have yet to find a plugin that does that. There's also no line numbering, or anything. Not sure how big of a deal that is. I just have yet to find anything that looks good, and that is more functional. That's why I'm looking for feedback.

Another thing I'm not sure about, is the sidebar. I currently have it displaying my recent tweets, but I feel like it needs more under it. Recent posts perhaps? Not quite sure.

The last thing I'm not sure about is commenting. Should I enable comments on every page, or only the blog section? Or perhaps disable comments all together? I'm thinking the entire site, but I'm not sure if the tutorial section is suited for comments. Let me know your opinion.

Any other feedback is appreciated. I'll consider everything, but I may not change everything that is suggested. Thanks again to everybody for feedback.
elfin8er
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/22/2015 3:08 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
SpongyBacon
It's alright. I would say it's more functionally focused than design focused as it does what it is meant to do, but it doesn't make you go 'wow' when you see it.

I understand that this is just a theme and that you probably don't know much about CSS styling, so a simple way to improve it would be to scrap the default donate button which doesn't fit in, and just use the link from the button on a new button image or simply link it in the text.
04/22/2015 3:37 pm
elfin8er
Thanks for the feedback! Like I said in my OP post, I'm trying to focus more time on functionality than design like you said. As long as it doesn't look bad, I'm ok.

I do know a little bit of CSS, and I could always learn more about it on my own. My main problem is, I don't really have a good eye for what looks nice. I seem to have two choices. Either hire someone to come up with a design for me, or to use a pre-built theme. That's why I've chosen to use a pre-built theme. As for the donate button, I think you're right. It just doesn't fit. I added a link instead, and I think it looks much nicer, and less noticeable (I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing). Again, thank you very much for the feedback
04/22/2015 1:52 pm
elfin8er
Thanks for the feedback everybody! For those who haven't already noticed, I'm just using Wordpress. I'll admit, not a ton of work has gone into this. Just a few hours. Also, for anyone who's curious, I am planning on adding more to my site.
04/22/2015 6:06 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
FawdawAS
It looks really good! Easy to use and good design. Keep up the good work!
04/22/2015 4:58 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Engineer
hmmcrunchy
Very nice indeed - clean - easy to navigate

easy to find subjects from contents tables

code snips look good

keep up the good work
04/21/2015 11:29 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I like it... will probably give a good look at the guide as well (for the bukkit stuff) .
04/06/2015 4:41 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Eragon30
looks nice.
just wondering did u design the page all by yourself or did you just change the text and used design from organized themes ?
04/22/2015 4:48 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
That's basically what happened, yeah.
04/03/2015 3:17 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Cool
04/03/2015 12:18 pm
elfin8er
Thank you Do you have any feedback for me?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome