BASIC programming

illuminati128k's Avatar illuminati128k12/7/15 7:40 pm
1 emeralds 388 9
12/8/2015 8:23 pm
MCPr0Pancakes's Avatar MCPr0Pancakes
I have a very low knowledge of computer programming (I forget most of what I learned a while ago) and i'm looking to improve upon them. I'm confused on where to start though.

Is BASIC a good language to start with? I've heard you can learn it quickly and it is simple. I'd rather start off with something simpler than something like C++. Should I learn from books or video tutorials, and where can I find tutorials to learn BASIC?

If BASIC isn't a good language to learn, what should I start out with?
illuminati128k
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/08/2015 8:23 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Modder
MCPr0Pancakes
12/08/2015 7:32 pm
illuminati128k
Well, Python it is then...

Where should I start though? Should I learn from a book, video tutorials, website, what? Does anybody know a good guide to start off with?
12/08/2015 4:54 pm
Level 28 : Expert Toast
Irvau
Well, like I said, Monkey X is great to start off with. Wasn't saying that they should stick to this, just to get the basics and an understanding of how things work before trying to learn other, more complex languages.
Sorta like a stepping stone, ya know?

Although, yes, Python does sound like a better, more useful alternative.
12/07/2015 9:06 pm
illuminati128k
TheNuclearDuckIf you are just learning to program, I would suggest Python. It's very simple and doesn't have too much syntax to remember. It also doesn't require that you deal with complex constructs like pointers, memory management, etc. Very nice language for beginners (even for more experienced programmers, it's great for little scripts).

(incidentally, built on C, so you can build Python extensions with C or C++).

EDIT: Or, if you want something that's pretty much foolproof (it's used in schools to teach programming concepts), you could use Scratch. I made my first steps into programming there.

I've used scratch before, but it's not really much like actual programming. I'd rather learn to write code. Scratch seems like translating actual code to English.

What makes Python better for beginners than BASIC?

ZitzabisBASIC is...well...basic. So yes it's simple but that's a bit of a problem sometimes.
Go with C++ instead. It's an industry standard and will take you farther. Plus, if you need to, you can go backwards and learn BASIC later.

I think i'd learn better if I start off with something smaller. I once tried to learn C++ and it was sort of confusing; I later eventually forgot about learning it.
12/07/2015 8:55 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Modder
jobicade
If you are just learning to program, I would suggest Python. It's very simple and doesn't have too much syntax to remember. It also doesn't require that you deal with complex constructs like pointers, memory management, etc. Very nice language for beginners (even for more experienced programmers, it's great for little scripts).
Python's also dynamically typed (or whatever the opposite of statically typed is), so you don't have to worry as much about different data types. The following is valid:

a = 6
b = 7.4
c = "Hello, world!"

(incidentally, built on C, so you can build Python extensions with C or C++).

EDIT: Or, if you want something that's pretty much foolproof (it's used in schools to teach programming concepts), you could use Scratch. I made my first steps into programming there.
12/07/2015 8:42 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
IrvauSince you've stated you're looking for something a bit simpler than c++, I'd recommend something like Monkey X.

Not going to say no to this, but I wouldn't recommend it. This is the first time I've ever heard of Monkey X and that's not a good sign. I mean, if you want to, go for it. Not going to stop you.
Generally in programming, you want to be able to read other's codes. Yes you can be a solo developer but being able to develop alongside others is where you'll most likely if you take up programming seriously.

I guess if you want to go on the simpler side, look into Ruby or Python.
12/07/2015 8:03 pm
Level 28 : Expert Toast
Irvau
Since you've stated you're looking for something a bit simpler than c++, I'd recommend something like Monkey X. It's language syntax is based around that of BASIC (or previous versions of it were, anyways), but it's more flexible and useful for things. It can't do all that c++ can do, I must say, but it's not bad for starters or for quickly slapping stuff together when you don't wanna bother with graphics and audio libraries.

Here be it: http://www.monkey-x.com/
12/07/2015 7:46 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
BASIC is...well...basic. So yes it's simple but that's a bit of a problem sometimes.
Go with C++ instead. It's an industry standard and will take you farther. Plus, if you need to, you can go backwards and learn BASIC later.
12/07/2015 7:55 pm
Level 42 : Master Droid
GigabyteGiant
+1

While it might be a bit more challenging, C++ is a very powerful language that can be used for countless different things.

Perhaps the following e-book will be of interest to you: C++ Succinctly.

One thing to always remember if you decide to work with C++:

free the malloc!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome