Can you help me with a(nother) video game study?

zbee's Avatar zbee9/24/13 10:30 am
10/2/2013 11:06 am
TechnicolorDalek's Avatar TechnicolorDalek
Hello all.

I have an assignment in my English class to write a paper, I've chosen to write on video games -a topic we've read about recently- and was allowed to do a poll/study to get sources for information.

So, let's get on with it. I'm going to write some questions below and then I'll ask you to comment with a response to those questions.

• Do you play video games?
  • Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?
  • Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games?
  • How old are you?
  • When did you start playing video games?
  • How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)
  • What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.)
  • Do you view video games as an escape from the real world?

Thank you for reading, and for responding, if you do. I will post my essay, or at least my results on Sunday. I'll probably update this post to link to the new one.
zbee
Level 23 : Expert Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

TechnicolorDalek
10/02/2013 11:06 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
    Yes.
  • Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?
    Not at all.
    Nope.
  • How old are you?
    14 years, 6 months, and 4 days.
    Depends on what you define as real playing. I remember playing some train and racing games as early as 2-4 years old.
  • How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)
    Less than $100. I'm cheap.
    Only computers. Consoles suck.

Indubitably. Minecraft especially.
SoraSatoshi
10/02/2013 10:58 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Do you play video games?
Yes

Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?
No

Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games?

No

How old are you?

When did you start playing video games?
Sometime between 1993 & 1994

How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)
over $5000

What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.)
computer, xbox360, gamecube, nes, snes, genesis, ps2, wii, GBA, DS

Do you view video games as an escape from the real world?
Yes, just like movies, television, books, and other forms of entertainment.
madmax3004
10/02/2013 10:50 am
Level 36 : Artisan Ranger
Do you play video games? Yes

Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? Nope

Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? At the start of middle school, a bit, but i now balance studying and gaming allot better
How old are you? 14

When did you start playing video games? 2.. 3..? on gameboy colour, and nintendo 64

How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) 3000 or more i guess

What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) right now, mostly computer, but before i found minecraft i played on PS3 & DS, may change to PS4 when i can buy it.

Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Sometimes when i get bullied or am sad i can escape into my games, and the ofcourse the forums & online friends i have, talk with them about it, game, forget it, and feel better, without gaming i'd probably have a totally different life, but i'm glad i game, I am who i am, a gamer.
ArcaneDrink
10/02/2013 10:41 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
Do you play video games?
Yes.
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?
Not sure what you mean, if you're asking if I get violent because of video games, then no.
Nope. I tend to keep things under wraps.
How old are you?
When I was about five years old.
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases?
In my entire life? I couldn't tell you really, but I've spent about $240 in the past year.
What system do you play video games on?
PC and occasionally Xbox 360.
I suppose, it's more stress relief than anything else.
mrbeaurelic
10/02/2013 10:28 am
Level 1 : New Engineer
Do you play video games?
yes
not at all
not realy
How old are you?
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)
pc and ps3
no its just someting to waste the boring times
ItsBill
10/01/2013 11:35 pm
Level 40 : Master Goblin
Do you play video games?
- I would hope so, or else answering this survey would be moot.
- Not particularly. In fact, it's a nice outlet for frustration that would otherwise have been taken out on an actual person or object rather than a virtual entity if gaming wasn't a hobby.
- Yes, but I would say indirectly. As a distracting hobby, it naturally takes time away from study and such, but things such as TV, football, or obsessions in any other sort of hobby would be as equally damaging as gaming.
How old are you?
- Don't remember.
- Not including tabletop gaming, and including computer hardware, I'd say the entertainment budget is $100-$200 a month in the past 5 years.
- I'm a PC enthusiast.
- It's as much an escape from the world as it is getting drunk at a bar, so yes. The whole point of entertainment is to distract people from their terrible, terrible lives.
EnderPvPsYT
09/28/2013 9:34 am
Level 24 : Expert Ninja
Do you play video games?Yes
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?Hmm, I like to think what is in minecraft is in real life kinda?
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games?Yeah, right now I dont even listen 2 the teacher ..
How old are you?13
When did you start playing video games?When I was like 10 I got into minecraft before that I just like played normal ones on internet w/ no violence
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)Hmm, atleast a year or two
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.)Computer
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world?yesh
SnookieBookie
09/27/2013 5:18 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Warrior
Do you play video games? Yeah.
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? No, not at all.
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? No.
How old are you? Secret
When did you start playing video games? Since I was about 5.
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) Thousands.
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) PC and xbox.
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? No, I play video games, because the things that are in them are something you'd never do in real life. Example: Robbing a store, stealing a car and killing people (GTA) or even hunting games, I don't hunt but, I like the aspect of it. So I bought a hunting game to just, get a image of what its like.
antares330
09/26/2013 11:53 am
Level 25 : Expert Nerd
Do you play video games? YES

Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? First let me say I don't play M rated games! but video games do effect me, after video games you feel like you should have everything right away, which can make you mad if you don't get something you want! All in All not much to be worried about!

Since I'm not in school, this doesn't apply to me so I'll give you a story of someone I know video games has effected! Back in the day when mario 64 was out, I loaned it to a friend (he was Home schooled) the next time I saw him (1 week later) he gave it back and said he can't have it, cause he didn't get his school work done!

How old are you?

As Long as I can remember, started with games like civilization 2, colonization and keen! (the first 2 helped me with history majorly, and also gave me a love for history that I still have today)

In Total? With or without my PCs? with my computers I'd say about $1250 without around $850! (just a estimate)

I play on PC, Wii, gamecube and a few other old school consoles most, but have friends that have Xbox (old one and 360) and a Brother that is big on Playstation that I play quite a bit as well! all in all most consoles, but Nintendo and PC most!

It Really can be, although most of the time I play with my brothers so... For a last note Ill tell you why I like video games so much,

When I play video games, from young up, it was multiplayer, Commander keen we had many Computers beside each other racing! Civ II was multiplayer hotseat, and colonization was multiplayer with the multiplayer glitch that we found by clicking a weird spot in one menu (message me if you want to know how)
and up to this day its all about the people I play with not the games, give me a game with good multiplayer and I'm in! (o and a last note I forgot to add was Age of empires was also a big game for me growing up)
Thanks!
~Ant
sycoinc
09/26/2013 10:41 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
hehe guess my results would have skewed your findings a fair bit in places... glad to see we could all help
zbee
09/27/2013 4:49 pm
Lol yeah, just a bit
zbee
09/26/2013 10:13 am
Thank you all for your help

I've posted the results and my findings here: http://zbee.me/videogames.php The essay will be up on Sunday, at some point.
xsquaredgaming
09/25/2013 9:15 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Engineer

Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? No

Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? No

How old are you? 15

When did you start playing video games? I've had a Nintindo Wii since i was 8 but I started playing minecraft about a year ago.

How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including
manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) $350

What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) PC

Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Not really.
sycoinc
09/25/2013 9:07 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
Do you play video games?
Yes

Nothing other than the odd yelling at my computer screen out of frustration towards myself or others actions on the game

No

How old are you?

1994 (played a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Game_GearSEGA Game Gear) then in 1996 got into Gameboy and N64 with more simple PC gaming

By now would be well into the $15,000 + mark (if the average game is 60-80$ and console is 300...but not including PC if including that well into the $25,000+ mark

Currently only PC, little bit of oldschool N64 and Gameboy, and soon to be DS and PS4

Yes, to relax and get away from stressful times in my life
bean1008
09/25/2013 8:32 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Pokemon
Do you play video games? -_- i cant believe ur asking... yes
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?... yep
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? no
How old are you? 12
When did you start playing video games? 4
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases $1000
What system do you play video games on? i like pc, NES, 3ds, and gameboy
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? yes. i do.
LetsPlay2D
09/25/2013 8:25 am
Level 46 : Master Pixel Painter
Do you play video games?
I do ofcourse
Other than getting mad? No.
Actually no, I didn't experienced them, but maybe it happened a little bit.
How old are you?
I'm 18 years old on 15. Nov this year
uhm ... I think round about when I was 10-11 years old, idk ^^
Way too less than I should had to, if you know what I mean
Mainly on the computer, but At home we have a N64 and soon we get our Gamecube back ^^
I did when I was 12-14 (round about), but now I watch them if I get bored or to have fun

[I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes, I'm from germany]
ABlindSniper115
09/25/2013 8:23 am
Level 34 : Artisan Creeper
1. Do you play video games?
If I didn't, I wouldn't be on PMC now would I?

2. Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?
No.

3. Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games?
Nope.avi

4. How old are you?

5. When did you start playing video games?
Around the time the PS2 came out. I'm not sure when that was... I think I was about seven or so at the time.

6. How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)
Only about $60 on games and such. I didn't buy the computer, my parents got it for me when I went off to college. I did buy accessories though, but I wouldn't classify them as 'for gaming', exept maybe the headset, which was about $15.

7. What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.)
PC gamer all the way!

8. Do you view video games as an escape from the real world?
Yeah, it can be a very good way to relax, because they can be used to temporarily escape from the real world.
zbee
09/25/2013 8:09 am
Bump.
oceanimus
09/24/2013 12:54 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Narwhal
Do you play video games? Ofc
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? No I've played GTA 5 And always been 'Normal'
Hmm. Video Games Have made me miss some homework assignments in the past but now I have set my self a time to do it
How old are you?
At the age of 5-6
.... xD Hmm ... I really dont know But I know it's over £1000
Ps3 & PC
Hmm... No I just play it for fun really :3
vaxivop
09/24/2013 12:31 pm
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? No, not that I know of (except nerd-rages xD)
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? No.
How old are you? 16
When did you start playing video games? When I was like... 6 I think.
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) Well most of the money spent was by my dad, myself I have probably spend like 100 euro.With what my dad has spent, that number goes up to at least 500 (but that is mostly because we played world of warcraft for 5 years, which costs 10 euro a month + we had 3 accounts ).
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) Computer.
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Not "escape" more like "vacation", I think escape would be too strong of a word.
Shadow_the_mango
09/24/2013 12:09 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Ranger
EthanDCHello all.

I have an assignment in my English class to write a paper, I've chosen to write on video games -a topic we've read about recently- and was allowed to do a poll/study to get sources for information.

So, let's get on with it. I'm going to write some questions below and then I'll ask you to comment with a response to those questions.

• How old are you?

Thank you for reading, and for responding, if you do. I will post my essay, or at least my results on Sunday. I'll probably update this post to link to the new one.

Yes
No
The opposite actually
£1101.38 on Steam alone (Not counting the Xbox, Wii, PS3, 3DS, DS, Gameboy, GBC, PS1, PS2 etc.)
PC
Sort of, they're my coping method, I get stressed I play games, I get depressed I play games etc.
coolkevin867
09/24/2013 11:57 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Baconator
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? Nothing physical, but I may feel mad after having played a bad online game or the same level over and over again without any progress being made.
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? No, not that I can tell. Sometimes I don't spend much time on my homework as I probably should because I was playing video games, but its not like the video game made me dumber
How old are you? 14.5 Years
When did you start playing video games? I have been playing pretty much all my life, starting with Donkey Kong on the Nintendo 64 and SSX Tricky on the Xbox. I only started playing FPS's at the age of 9 though.
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) Probably a few thousand... I can't say exactly, but I just built an $1100 PC, so that may have contributed to the spending
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) Mostly computer and sometimes Xbox 360. I don't own a PS of any kind, but I have pretty much everything else (although I didn't buy most of it, they were usually gifts)
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? I don't really think of it that way, but I guess so. I play video games to have fun. If I were to "escape from the real world", I would be worried about the previously mentioned subject of violence. Not so much with me, but with some people.
Delta7x
09/24/2013 11:42 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Explorer
Sure, I'll gladly help.

Do you play video games? I do =p
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? If you are asking "Have you ever gotten mad at a video game?" then the answer is undoubtedly yes. However, if you are asking "Have you ever exhibited violent outbursts because you played video games?" then the answer is no.
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? A little bit in Middle School, but not since then.
How old are you? I am currently 18 years of age.
When did you start playing video games? When I was around 4 or 5.
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) Honestly, I've no real idea. Definitely in the thousands. My laptop is $700 or so, my desktop $500, my brothers Halo 4 Edition Xbox360 another $400 a $200 PS3, a Wii, two or three DS's, a PS2, two gameboy advanced SP's, and many many games over the years...
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) For a few years now I've been more fond of playing games on the computer. Not too fond of consoles much anymore.
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Of course.

Here are a few things that might help you also:
http://www.ted.com/talks/daphne_bavelie ... games.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal ... world.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/gabe_zicherman ... arter.html

If you plan to use these in your study I'd recommend citing them as a source otherwise your teacher may wonder where the heck you are getting this information from.
MadScientist133
09/24/2013 11:29 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Do you play video games? Ofcourse
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? Definitely not
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? No, like Rusty, my grades have gone up.
How old are you? Currently 13.
When did you start playing video games? At the age of 8.
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) Not much, compared to other gamers, but I'd say about $1500.
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) Computer :3
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Mostly, yes.
Fokkusu
09/24/2013 11:10 am
Level 43 : Master Fox
Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games? No
Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? Yes
How old are you? 19 currently
When did you start playing video games? When I was 11
How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases (including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.) Well into the thousands
What system do you play video games on? (computer, xbox, ps, etc.) PC
Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Yes
AnteJao
09/24/2013 10:39 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
I can help you.

1. Yes, I do play video games.
2. No, I have not noticed any violent tendencies I attribuded to video games.
3. No, no grade drops, yet grade rises due to learning English from games in my earlier years (I got an A in English, and I'm from Sweden).
4. I am 13.5 years old.
5.I started playing video games in 2003, on the original XBOX (I played Amped, Rallisport Challenge, and Halo: Combat Evolved.)
6. I must have spent around 20 000 SEK (around 2 000 dollars) on video games, computers, etc.
7.I play PC alot, and sometimes when I feel like being old-school, I play my old original XBOX.
8. Yes, I view video games as an escape from the real world sometimes.
-Rusty-
09/24/2013 10:35 am
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
Do you play video games?: I'm pretty sure that's a yes

Have you ever noticed any violent tendencies that you attributed to video games?: Not really, gamers rage (when I lose a game) is really the only true violence I get.

Have you experienced any grade drops that you attributed to video games? No, infact my grades have gone up the more video games I've owned.

How old are you? 14

When did you start playing video games? 'bout 9

How much would you estimate that you've spent on video game purchases 2k-3k+(including manuals, games themselves, controllers, consoles, subscriptions, etc.)

Computor, xbox, wii, wii u, 3ds...

Do you view video games as an escape from the real world? Well yes, I find its not as much an escape as a 'getaway' or 'vacation'
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome