Concept For Unique Web Software

elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er12/23/14 3:54 pm
1 emeralds 683
I've come up with a concept for some web software that I think should be created. As far as I know, it's pretty unique (the basic concept is something seen before though). I'd actually like this to become a reality so I can use the software myself, however I find it hard to imagine I'd find somebody up for the task. Anyway, here's a bit about the idea.

So the basic idea is to create a way to better show documents on a website. These could be docs for software (Such as Bukkit), or just random documents that you'd like to share with the world. Think of this as an advanced version of ReadTheDocs. Below are some features that could be included in the software.

Docs Are Stored On Github: I think the best way to store these docs would be on github. I think this should at least be an option. It allows you to easily keep track of changes made to your docs, and allows others to collaborate with the documents. There could also be a button at the top of each document that allows users to view the specific doc on github, and perhaps make changes as well. There are a number of cases where I think this could be useful.

Custom Syntax: There could be a custom syntax that allows coloring, bold text, pictures, tables, and even videos. This would allow users to customize their documents exactly how they like them. The syntax could simply be bbcode.

Custom Styling: Users could include css in their docs to make their docs unique. They could also have the ability to modify the css globally so their doc pages look different from everyone else's. It'd also probably be a good idea to include custom skins for users to choose from as well.

Commenting: Users would have the option to use two different types of commenting. They could comment on the entire doc itself, or on a specific part of the doc. Users could comment on a specific part of the doc by highlighting the section they'd like to comment on. Comments could then be viewed by the paragraph. Hovering over a comment would then highlight the section of the doc that the commenter highlighted.

Built-in Editing: The admin can easily edit any doc with a built-in editor. The editor would be much like the editor found on forums. It would have several shortcut buttons that could be used to create tags. There would also be a way to easily preview changes. Once changes are made, the document would be pushed to github, which would update the doc throughout the website where the documents are being displayed.

Anyways, that's a quick rundown of my idea. Let me know what you guys think, or any other ideas you think I should add. If anybody would like to tackle this project, please do! Feel free to do it on your own, and no credit will be needed. I just ask that if you do, we stay in contact so I can relay ideas, and feedback.
elfin8er
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter