Need a simple laptop

Leeanne's Avatar Leeanne11/12/14 9:17 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 20
11/15/2014 11:19 pm
Leeanne's Avatar Leeanne
Hi. So, my sister is graduating this year and would like to get a laptop for Christmas that she can use for school. She doesn't play video games, but I figured they are plenty of knowledgeable laptop/pc people who could find a school laptop.

What is this computer going to be used for?
Writing essays and web browsing.

What is your budget?
Probably under $200 USD but we can go a bit over.

What OS do you want?
She wants Windows 7 or 8(.1)

Since it's a laptop, not a desktop, I just picked the ones from the form that applied to laptops.

She's going to try to buy it during Black Friday.

Thanks
Leeanne
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/14/2014 12:22 am
Level 1 : New Miner
iX1805
Right, just a quick question. Is this a first laptop / computer scenario?

Just a quick example so there isn't any confusion. Has a computer / home laptop, but you want to get her a laptop which can use anywhere?

or is this her first computer/laptop?

"If it's the former rather than the latter, definitely get some form of chrome book"

They're cheap, fast due to their SSD's and just generally are amazing for working on the move, BUT a cheap chromebook has a limitation of space, for essay work it's fine, but lets say she ever wanted to install music a video or even a small game out of interest there's an instant restriction.

If it's a first computer scenario, I recommend you trying to luck out on a cheaper laptop with a decent hard drive space and keeping specs which will help with laptop performance.

I actually feel bad saying that since it's a gift and it's incredibly generous of you to spend a large portion of money on a family member.

I have other suggestions, but I'm going to leave them for now, hopefully I gave you something to think about.
11/15/2014 11:19 pm
Leeanne
It's her first laptop. We have a pc (the one I'm on right now) but she wants (and probably needs) her own, so yeah. Thanks, to you and everyone for all the helpful stuff
11/14/2014 12:05 am
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
dog51848

Anyway my suggestion is don't buy her a HP laptop. I've had two and have had horrible experiences with both of them. They always overheat since the models I had had the vents on the bottom, when it got hot it sounded like an airplane taking off, and both only lasted around 2 years.

I have owned many HP devices, laptop, desktops, printers and I have had no issues with overheated or anything, dont know why you are having issues with them, I reccomend them because I always get a good quality products that have lasted me years.

To Op: Wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday, you will be able to find great deals on most electronics.
11/13/2014 8:08 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
Depending on where she is going, some school's might either provide a laptop or require a certain laptop the meets certain specifications. Other schools just might not care. Have you looked into that yet?
11/13/2014 7:37 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
She can always get a surface as well.
11/13/2014 8:38 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
Wouldn't getting one of those new bring her over budget?
11/13/2014 9:26 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
I own an original Surface Pro which I bought a year ago for roughly $600. It's probably new around $400 now (Since the 3 is out now) but thats still over budget and the battery isn't that great without the power keyboard. In short you're correct, even an older version goes over budget.
11/13/2014 9:42 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
I didn't realise they were that expensive. I swear, it feels like the last time I checked they were around $180 or something. I guess it was something else. :p
11/13/2014 11:39 pm
Colonellooo
You may thinking of the normal Surface which is just basically a Windows tablet that runs Windows RT. A surface Pro is a full computer running Windows 8.1
11/13/2014 7:28 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Dell and Asus make great laptops. Acer also makes good laptops, but aren't always on the same level of quality and reliability as Dell and Asus.
11/13/2014 12:25 am
Level 1 : New Network
Pyr0mrcow
Keep in mind that Compaq is also owned by HP.
In my experience, for some reason, while the computers have worked well, Compaq batteries just don't last...also, the screws fall out. Along with the entire DVD drive. That really happened.
11/13/2014 12:11 am
Leeanne
dog51848
Anyway my suggestion is don't buy her a HP laptop. I've had two and have had horrible experiences with both of them. They always overheat since the models I had had the vents on the bottom, when it got hot it sounded like an airplane taking off, and both only lasted around 2 years.

Yeah, I told her HP isn't a good way to go. Thanks for the info
11/13/2014 12:10 am
Leeanne
She can't get a Pc unfortunately. She has already decided on a laptop so that she can take it to school. Also, she has no space in her bedroom for a desktop. Her bed takes up half the room and then her clothes and her tv... xD
11/13/2014 12:05 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
RyanM
I would just get a simple PC. You can find Windows 7 computers for $200-$250. They might not be the best ones, but if that's what you want, your choice.
11/12/2014 11:57 pm
Colonellooo
I agree with Shadbuster. You'll be able to find some great deals on laptops that would normally cost more on black friday. If running through a store isn't your thing cyber monday also has some great deals.

11/12/2014 9:59 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragonborn
TheGrim123321
Buy a desktop.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($48.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.68 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB TurboDuo Video Card ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $346.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 21:58 EST-0500

Black Friday and this will be down two 200
11/12/2014 11:48 pm
Level 28 : Expert Network
Descripted
I tried holding back on this but seriously.
*cough*
Her sister wants a laptop for school. Do you seriously think someone is going to be hauling around a huge desktop to school? No. I have a mac for school, while I also have my desktop. You wasted your time writing that.

edit:
to op, here's a laptop. very nice, and only 30$ over your price range, but obviously will be lowered during black friday. it runs windows 8.1 and is actually pretty fancy for the price. as well, it's touchscreen .
it has a total of 3 usb ports (1 3.0 port and 2 2.0 port).
11/12/2014 9:42 pm
Leeanne
Ok, thanks.
11/12/2014 9:27 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
In that price range, you're looking at laptops with Celerons, Pentiums, and A6/A8 APUs if you find a good deal on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Good laptops start around $500. With Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales you could probably find a great deal on one.
11/12/2014 9:21 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
Slimecraft101
Chromebooks are nice laptops, but they do not have Windows.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome