What Is Gaming?

ghostyboy5's Avatar ghostyboy510/16/12 8:41 pm
10/19/2012 7:16 pm
ghostyboy5's Avatar ghostyboy5
What Is Gaming?
So here is an age old question. What is gaming?

This is a question many people ask themselves, and each other. Is gaming just something the children do all-day and the adults do in their free-time? Or is it something else? Something better?

Please remember that this entire post is based on my overall opinion.

Every since the beginning of Online Gaming, parents have been nagging their children; "Go Outside!", or "Get your lazy -profanity- off that chair and ride your bike." Well what if gaming actually had its benefits? Like hell you say? I disagree.

Gaming does have its benefits.

Social:
Gaming online helps many non-social people be, well social. I will use myself as an example for this factor. In the real world, I am not a very social person. I will stay in the background, and talk only when I must. However in the gaming-world I feel like I have a voice. I feel like people actually stop, and give a damn about what I say. Gaming, believe it or not, gives confidence to people. It allows people the chance to actually be social, talk to others, and make friends. And yet, if you go into almost any household where the child is a hardcore gamer, you will most likely hear; "Go outside and make some friends!", when quite actually, the child in question may be already making friends.

Self-Esteem:
Gaming is often a refuge for people with low self-esteem. Feeling trapped and out of place in the real world, they feel like they have no where else to go. Gaming gives them the confidence they need. When gaming people can be the "Top-Dog". They can have the highest head-shot count, or the most bad-ass structure. Whereas around their so called "friends" in life, they will feel as if they have nothing to contribute, as if they are just a loner hanging along.

Profit:
Gaming is a growing market. And I don't mean just creating games. Running game servers, maintaining gaming community websites, etc. All have their benefits; whether it is donations, shops, or downright scamming, it all ends in money and profit does it not? Many parents don't believe their child can actually earn money on a game right? So when that so-called child asks the parent to create a Paypal account, and the parent laughs their ass off and says no. The child may be losing out on making money, where 4 months later the family may actually need it. And the child can go up to the parent, and say "Told you".

Point:
Overall the same question has been considered throughout this entire post; What Is Gaming?

Well gaming is the new fad, and yet it isn't. Gaming is a great thing, a huge thing, and a modern thing. Everyone is going into gaming. Making money, having fun, actually having social-lives. So what is gaming? Gaming, is a never-ending list of possibilities.
ghostyboy5
Level 36 : Artisan Nerd