Behind the Screen

Raindog99's Avatar Raindog995/22/13 9:51 pm
5/24/2013 7:38 pm
Raindog99's Avatar Raindog99
Hey Everyone!
Just wanted to know about everyone's experience in meeting people behind the Screen.
May seem weird...
But think about it, we create Minecraft.
We are the community, we play and look at each other and say "heh! a newb!"
Well, what are behind these people we say this to?
Recently I was on reddit and saw that an player on a server had commited suicide.
I was in awe.
We could have seen this player in the past and played with them, seen them on a server, or maybe even in a chat, and etc.
And now, we see that this player wasnt just some pixels on my computer screen...
But they are a real living person, and they have a life. They are much more then someone in minecraft, they are people.
May seem weird, just wanted to know if you had any experience when you got to known or even met someone who is "Behind the Screen"
Thanks!

You know, you play with someone on a server, and through the small, LCD pixels of your screen, you see them. You recognize your friend, because you know what they look like.
Right?
But no. What you see on the screen is just a projection of what the person looks like. No, less than that. A shadow. Not even a shadow.
When you look at a Minecraft avatar, it's easy to forget that a person is behind it. And when something like this happens, you realize it all too fast. You find it far too quickly that this person is a real human, and it hurts.
Rest in Peace.

From DuhAetherX

Inspired by this post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/1dh1ub/rip_edge_raider/
Raindog99
Level 21 : Expert Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Raindog99
05/23/2013 6:33 pm
My god, thank you for sharing these events.
It really shows me that our community are not just full of bullies, but also victims, and how it affects them.
Something that had happened to me was while in a store, I saw right in front of me a father around 40 tell these four 16 year old girls that they were bullies to the other employee. I had never been more proud, that is because that was my Dad, and he was standing up for someone in pain and unheard. I appreciate my Dad so much for this, I just hope that there are other people who do this as well.
In my life I never had experiences someone who was in so much pain on Minecraft that they decided to commit Suicide. They should not feel that they have no reason to live just because someone on the internet is having a bad day.

+1 million respect.
Doggle
05/23/2013 5:56 am
Level 47 : Master Lad
I understand bullying and hate is a very bad thing, I have had it happen to me for some time a while back. I have learnt to overcome it. Life is worth it. After all you get one shot, you get one chance, just because someone is hating you don't blow it all. Someone else out there loves you. I love everyone who doesn't hate me. No hating kids. But seriously, people need to stay strong. The voice of one is not that big. No matter who, be it the president/prime minister, your brother/sister or your teacher. A single person does not reflect everyone's view. There will always be someone out there who is willing to help, who treasures you and of course, loves you. Don't give up. It is worth it, don't give up your one chance at what you have been given because someone has challenged the way you live. For every hater, someone is a lover, someone believes in you.
Zoralink
05/23/2013 6:18 am
Level 32 : Artisan Button Pusher
Well said!
Zoralink
05/23/2013 5:33 am
Level 32 : Artisan Button Pusher
I feel sympathy, but I don't see why these children commit suicide. If you are really being bullied badly, tell someone. Don't kill yourself.
PixieSugar
05/23/2013 5:19 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
It's terrible how some of these kids kill their selves over vicious people on the internet. There's truly a special place in hell for those types of people who bully others enough over their limits. If you just throw an insult and call it as a "joke", it still doesn't make it right, you could have seriously hurt the person you're "joking" to.

Like people on this one server making fun of my cancer, it's nothing but a "joke" to them, but my cancer can become terminal. Sick kids.

RIP.
Raindog99
05/23/2013 6:37 pm
I am so sorry to hear that...
I hope you told someone and they stopped.
I hear all the time, "Man, you are so sensitive." It may be because I am a only child, but I should be able to get upset, even though its a joke.
ventie81
05/23/2013 7:12 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Never apologize for the way you feel. Its what makes you human mate.
And tell your father he is ok in my book. More people should do that.
Recently here in the netherlands ther have been a couple of teen suicides
Because of bullying. Breaks my flippin heart man
Raindog99
05/24/2013 7:38 pm
Thanks for the comment.
I have no idea what goes in their's minds, to make them feel that way...
Breaks my heart too man that their are teen suicides, they're just too young, and should know that their lives can only get so much better!
variXian
05/23/2013 5:26 am
Level 23 : Expert Modder
One kid committed suicide from my server, and it turns out that the person who bullied them was my Co Owner, and my x-best friend... I still hurt over the pain that was caused...

My server is still up, and the first thing new players see upon joining the server is a monument in his honor and rememberance.

Out of respect for this thread, I will not give out the ip of my server.
PixieSugar
05/23/2013 5:30 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Reading that almost made me cry. I do hope that their family and yourself is doing well and I hope you guys the best.

RIP.
+1 million respect.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome