Hacking Discussion

elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er12/26/14 11:19 pm
1 emeralds 1.9k 76
12/30/2014 5:42 pm
Palaeos's Avatar Palaeos
This topic may end up being a little big controversial. To ensure that everyone stays safe, and that the topic doesn't get removed, I ask that nobody discusses hacking techniques. PM me if you have any questions.

This topic is to discuss current happenings in the hacking world. Discuss hacker groups such as Anonymous, Lizard Squad, CyberVor or whoever else you'd like to discuss.

Please do not discuss the ethnics of hacking. I'm not saying hacking is right or wrong. I personally find it rather interesting to talk about.

If the topic is closed, I'll continue voicing my opinion at: http://ifleyhacking.wordpress.com/
elfin8er
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/26/2014 11:21 pm
elfin8er
It appears attacks have started on the Tor Network. I can personally confirm that the Hidden Wiki is again down. I'll continue looking into who may be in on this. Earlier claims have said Lizard Squad are now targetting Tor rather than PSN and XBL.
12/26/2014 11:27 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1494372
[deleted]
12/26/2014 11:42 pm
elfin8er
Here's a quick rundown of the Lizard Squad situation:

So it all started because Lizard Squad didn't think Micro$oft's servers were very good. Whether you guys agree with them or not, that's aside the point. So Lizard Squad warned Microsoft that they would be attacked on Christmas day if they didn't upgrade their servers. Well, apparently Micro$oft didn't listen, so Lizard Squad attacked, in the form of a ddos attack, as promised in hopes that Micro$oft would listen, and consider upgrading their servers.

As far as I know, Micro$oft didn't react a whole lot. There was a little bit of activity on various (official?) Xbox accounts, but nothing else more than "Yes, we're aware our services are down, and we're trying to fix them".

Then, around 7 hours ago, Kim Dotcom offered the entire Lizard Squad team free lifetime Meag vouchers if they stopped the attacks. After a bit of negotiating, Lizard Squad agreed to the terms, and stopped the attacks. According to Lizard Squad's twitter, the attacks have stopped. Any services that remain down are simply a result of the aftermath of the attack.

tl;dr: Kim dotcom saved Christmas
12/26/2014 11:44 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1494372
[deleted]
12/26/2014 11:48 pm
elfin8er
If they can be caught...
12/26/2014 11:55 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
strongblaster
Here's a quick rundown of the Lizard Squad situation:

So it all started because Lizard Squad didn't think Micro$oft's servers were very good. Whether you guys agree with them or not, that's aside the point. So Lizard Squad warned Microsoft that they would be attacked on Christmas day if they didn't upgrade their servers. Well, apparently Micro$oft didn't listen, so Lizard Squad attacked, in the form of a ddos attack, as promised in hopes that Micro$oft would listen, and consider upgrading their servers.

As far as I know, Micro$oft didn't react a whole lot. There was a little bit of activity on various (official?) Xbox accounts, but nothing else more than "Yes, we're aware our services are down, and we're trying to fix them".

Then, around 7 hours ago, Kim Dotcom offered the entire Lizard Squad team free lifetime Meag vouchers if they stopped the attacks. After a bit of negotiating, Lizard Squad agreed to the terms, and stopped the attacks. According to Lizard Squad's twitter, the attacks have stopped. Any services that remain down are simply a result of the aftermath of the attack.

tl;dr: Kim dotcom saved Christmas [/quote]
But, shouldn't these hackers go to jail?[/quote]
If they can be caught...[/quote]
If the hackers were received free vouchers, would you think they where caught?
And be thankful they didnt hack steam. i PROBABLE would of flipped out.

Think your internet is slow? click this link
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3967290496.png

#QuotesRbroke
12/26/2014 11:54 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
RomansEyeliner
I thought TheFinestSquad hacked The Lizard Squad's twitter account, or at least one of the supporters of the TheLizardSquad ('s) Twitter (LizardMafia) . Also, Anonymous is claiming FinestSquad and LizardMafia are the same group, weren't Anonymous and FinestSquad both teaming up to get rid of TheLizardSquad?
12/27/2014 12:04 am
elfin8er
From what I've gathered, Finest Squad is just a whole lot of bull. It's possible that they are the same people as Lizard Squad, but I'm not so sure... either way, I wouldn't really listen to anything Finest Squad says. They haven't earned my respect personally.

Honestly, I'm with Anonymous when they say that they don't really care about XBL or PSN. I'm personally more concerned about Tor. Like I have stated on the topic discussing Lizard Squad, they aren't able to target the entire Tor Network. However, Tor's website seems to have already been targeted (if it was down, it's back up now), as well as possibly a few websites on the Tor Network such as the Hidden Wiki (I can confirm the hidden wiki is down).
12/27/2014 12:10 am
RomansEyeliner
I agree with you, agreeing with Anonymous, but do you think if the Lizard Squad and the Finest Squad are the same thing, have they been fooling with the anonymous group this whole time? Do you think they (Lizard) will go after a bigger company or another gaming company and try to hack them next?
12/27/2014 12:14 am
elfin8er
I don't think the Lizards are going to target anymore big gaming company's. I could be wrong about that though. The reason they targeted XBL and PSN is to prove a point, and that point has been proven. Haven't had word on why Tor is a possible target though...
12/27/2014 12:27 am
elfin8er
I can confirm that most XBL services are back up, however it seems as though Sony is still having problems. Connections to PSN are timing out for me.
12/27/2014 11:37 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Modder
Nikea8
Xbox isn't any better yet. There are reports now that people's Xbox's are freezing on start-up. Happened to me too. But according to CBC and a few other news channels, the FBI is on the case. The Lizard Squad's Twitter is taken down now. Still hoping my Xbox gets fixed though =/
12/27/2014 11:48 pm
elfin8er
I could be wrong, but Lizard Squads attacks *couldn't* be making Xbox's freeze at startup... Also, Lizard Squad's twitter was taken down, but a new one was created and they're still alive and kicking (https://twitter.com/LizardMafia).

Also, for anybody interested, here is an interview of 3 Lizard Squad members, 2 Anonymous members, 2 Finest Squad members, and Kim Dotcom (LINK)! Watching it now.
12/27/2014 12:43 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Skinner
ObsidianOwen
Ugh, I want to play CoD AW. Can't, no connection /:
12/27/2014 12:48 am
elfin8er
It could just be a rumor, but PSN is supposed to be back up in the next little bit. Will keep everybody updated!

Edit: It could be a while as PSN's infrastructure is huge, plus there may be a bit of testing before it's fully up.
12/27/2014 12:58 am
RomansEyeliner
Why do you think they went after Tor?
12/27/2014 1:06 am
elfin8er
Not 100% sure, but I believe it's because of various illegal activities that people use Tor for. I think I know the specifics, but I can't post them here...
12/27/2014 1:05 am
Level 1 : New Miner
SuntariaBuilds2
This seems like some pretty serious biz :/ I dont really know what most of these groups are? (lizard quad tor network and anoymous) are they just groups of people? can someone explain?
12/27/2014 1:15 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
sierramig
Personally I hate microsoft, I don't know anything about hacking but I'm glad someone DDOS'd their servers, even if PSN went down aswell. I hate how they practically bribe every company to release their DLC first, and they pay companies to promote them, and then have the nerve to charge you for internet on the 360...
12/27/2014 3:12 am
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Have the nerve to charge you for internet
Then shouldn't you be angry at your ISP as well, they are charging you for internet!
Dont worry, Sony adopted it too for the PS4! nintendo still does not, so lets all go to the wii!

Its business, most major *GAMING* companies do it, besides valve. Microsoft is an amazing company. They changed computing and we probably wouldnt be here if it wasn't for companies like Microsoft, you may hate them, but in reality, they helped shape the industry. Most people dont hate them, 90% of computers run windows or run Microsoft software.
12/27/2014 1:23 am
elfin8er
Unless I'm misunderstanding their tweets, it looks like another attack will be made on the Tor Project by Lizard Squad. It appears that Lizard Squad has obtained a CA certificate from Sony... That's not good... from my understanding, it pretty much means Lizard Squad would have access to Sony's servers which they could then use to further ddos those such as Tor. Seems like Sony may be going under...
Please, if anybody can correct me on this, please do!!

SOURCE1 | SOURCE2
12/27/2014 1:24 am
elfin8er
PSN seems to be back up The rumors were true!

EDIT: The servers seem a bit unstable. I was able to update an app from PSN, but the servers seem to be up and down now...
12/27/2014 1:26 am
SuntariaBuilds2
OMG
ok tors going down quite fast
12/27/2014 1:30 am
elfin8er
Tor seems to still be up... for now...
12/27/2014 1:43 am
SuntariaBuilds2
Good. dont understand lizardsquads status on twitter
".@torproject Did you like our little sample? Now imagine 3000 nodes slowly creeping up, from different locations across the world..." Wierd
12/27/2014 1:54 am
elfin8er
Lizard Squad had attacked Tor a few days ago I believe. The way it worked was that Lizard Squad became a part of the network with a few "nodes" (source). This pretty much sent users information to Lizard Squad and jeopardized users' ability to be anonymous. This included anything from users browsing history, to important account information (I believe). According to Tor, this attack was small enough that there wasn't anything to worry about, and have since then attempted to remove the fake nodes.

The tweet from Lizard Squad is pretty much saying that another attack will be made on Tor with over 3000 relays (some of which may be Sonys own servers).

My opinion? According to Tor, thousands of new relays still only make up 1% of the entire Tor network. This means that 3000 new relays still wouldn't be enough to jeopardize Tor's users. However, I'd still recommend staying away from using Tor for the next few days...
12/27/2014 1:45 am
elfin8er
Anonymous | Twitter
Anonymous is a hacker group that pretty much focuses on those who do what they don't believe is right. Such targets have included the KKK, Ferguson Police, and the city of Cleveland Ohio. Members of Anonymous are also very loose. Anybody can claim to be Anonymous. They are one of the most well known hacking groups.

Lizard Squad | Twitter | Website
Lizard Squad is the group that has taken claim to hacking XBL and PSN. Threats had been posted on their twitter account a few days prior to their attack. Their attack ended up being a ddos attack that crippled both PSN and XBL. Thanks to Kim Dotcom, attacks were stopped on all servers sometime yesterday (the 25th). Attacks were made to prove that they could do it, and that Microsoft and Sony may need to look into upgrading their servers. Lizard Squad is now threatening Tor. Supposedly a "small" unsuccessful attack was made on the Tor network earlier, but now rumors have it that the Lizard Squad has access to more servers (possibly including some servers from Sony), and a bigger attack will be made very soon.

Tor
Tor is an anonymous way to browse the internet. The Tor Network consists of websites that can only be accessed from Tor. Lizard Squad seems to be attacking both the tor website, as well as the Tor Network. This could possibly take down tor websites (such as the hidden wiki), and also jeopardize Tor's users security and "anonobility".
12/27/2014 1:47 am
SuntariaBuilds2
well tor said this
Click to reveal
This looks like a regular attempt at a Sybil attack: the attackers have signed up
many new relays in hopes of becoming a large fraction of the network.
But even though they are running thousands of new relays, their relays
currently make up less than 1% of the Tor network by capacity. We are
working now to remove these relays from the network before they become
a threat, and we don't expect any anonymity or performance effects based
on what we've seen so far.
12/27/2014 2:07 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragonborn
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
The thing I don't understand is why Lizard Squad hacked into PSN if they didn't like Microsoft. Sony runs PSN right?
12/27/2014 2:17 am
elfin8er
They didn't "hack into" PSN or XBL, but that's aside the point. They attack Sony and Micro$oft to prove two points. That they could do it, and that Micro$oft and Sony need to upgrade their servers.
12/27/2014 3:15 am
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
Oh. I thought they just hated Microsoft.
12/27/2014 2:39 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
Lizard Squad (@LizardMafia) apparently behind the scenes booted off North Korea only to turn around and attack Sony, It was a way of saying "back off NK, this is our prey."
12/27/2014 2:46 am
elfin8er
Haha, I like this.

In other news, I found a supposed interview of Lizard Squad members. It's extremely biased though. VERY biased. Like so biased I now hate that interviewer whoever he may be...
12/27/2014 2:41 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Many hackers use Huzuni hack and most of the time they don`t even get cought. That`s what makes PvP servers kind of unfair. We need new solutions to stop them.
12/27/2014 3:50 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
We're talking about hacking, not custom Minecraft clients.
12/27/2014 4:01 am
VeryMadCrafter
Huzuni IS a Minecraft hack. You don`t have to cry about it instantly. Maybe I just read the title of this thread. People can have opinions. And they have to respect others` opinions too.
12/27/2014 3:02 am
elfin8er
Would anybody be interested in me creating a blog to compile all of this news? I don't want to spam Planetminecraft with random thoughts and what-not. Would anybody follow along with the blog if I were to do that?
12/27/2014 3:14 am
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Another thing, They did not hack Sony or Microsoft, they did no hacking on them! There is no hacking involved when performing a DDoS attack. It just takes money and a botnet army, which isnt hard with spam email and those you have won ads.
12/27/2014 3:16 am
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
Honestly, it really doesn't matter if it was hacking or DDoSing.
12/27/2014 3:20 am
elfin8er
Thank you!! Though, from what I've read, hacking was involved. Not in the DDoS attack itself, but I had heard that they gained access to servers with 100 gigabit connections and used them for the attack.
12/27/2014 3:34 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
As an owner of a 15gbps network and small database center,

Hacking, in technical terms, is considered an act of using technology in a way to better or weaken software or network and many other things, though this is the main idea of it.

Sony & Microsoft were ddosed by Lizard Squad, which they obtained the power of the DDoS by hacking and using malicious software to create a bot-net. They also hacked into servers before and obtained and stolen documents, redirects and many other things.

There is indeed hacking involved in DDoS attacks due to the very nature of how you use the resources to your disposal. You can't just attack using your home network, it doesn't work.
12/27/2014 3:34 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
EpicToasterizle
I Would hack the hive if i were them.
12/27/2014 3:36 am
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
strongblaster
Think your internet is slow? click this link
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3967290496.png[/color]
#QuotesRbroke

Nop. Had 0.02mbp/s connection at my old house. Not kidding.
12/27/2014 3:40 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
D_A_T_H
It just seems like a stupid way to make the general public hate you. They ruined thousands of kids presents since they weren't able to get on to XBL and PSN to set their stuff up. So instead of making people want to support them, they caused more people to dislike them. Since it was on the news it made even more people angry. I dont play on XBL or PSN but i was still pissed that my little brother wasnt able to set up his Xbox One and play AC Unity cause guess what the losersquad decided to take them down. And since its a digital copy he couldnt download it. So yeah good job liztardsquad. Congrats to you on ruining childrens days.
12/27/2014 3:50 am
elfin8er
That's if you want to look at the negative side of things. Now look at the good side of things.

If a few random people can attack Microsoft and Sony and cause a bit of damage, then think of the damage that could be done with everybody's accounts that are on these servers. I believe that LizardSquad did these attacks for three reasons. You can choose to agree, or disagree.

1. To prove that it can be done, and that both companies need to look into preventing these types of situations. LizardSquad has stated that these attacks are preventable. Ddos attacks are constantly being attempted against these companies, and the only way to raise awareness of them is to show that it can be done.

2. To prove that Microsoft has a better infrastructure than Sony. Microsoft had been able to get their servers back up and running within a few hours. However, for Sony, it's been 24 hours and their servers still aren't up. Sony's servers are also very vulnerable. This is obvious from the recent password stealing from Sony, as well as LizardSquad's ddosing. Even more recently and terrifying is that LizardSquad also supposedly obtained a CA from Sony during the attack. That's pretty scary stuff...

3. For the laughs, and a bit of money. I'll admit it. LizardSquad probably had a lot of fun with this, and it gave them a challenge. They also supposedly made close to half a million dollars from the attack. Whether this was in the original plan or not, I'm not sure.

Imo, you have a pretty sad life if Christmas is ruined because you can't fully use your gifts for a day or two...
12/27/2014 3:42 am
elfin8er
No hacks on Tor yet, but idk if the threats were a hoax or not... (source)
12/27/2014 4:05 am
elfin8er
VeryMadCrafter
WTFshady
VeryMadCrafterMany hackers use Huzuni hack and most of the time they don`t even get cought. That`s what makes PvP servers kind of unfair. We need new solutions to stop them.

We're talking about hacking, not custom Minecraft clients.

Huzuni IS a hack. You don`t have to cry about it instantly.

It depends on your definition of a "hack". Either way, I don't believe "hacked clients" are allowed to be discussed on PMC, so I'd rather not talk about it here any longer.
12/27/2014 4:09 am
VeryMadCrafter
I won`t talk about it too beacuse I`m sick of arguing in this forums just beacuse some people argue over my opinions. I`m just sick of it. I`m out.
12/27/2014 4:13 am
elfin8er
This is a place to discuss your opinions. If you voice your opinion, you can always expect somebody to voice theirs. If that's something you're not ok with, then goodbye.
12/27/2014 4:23 am
elfin8er
Just in case the topic is taken down, I'll start posting to http://ifleyhacking.wordpress.com if anybody's interesting in continuing to hear my view on things.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome