Windows Live Movie Maker Display Drivers Crash

11volt11's Avatar 11volt114/19/12 9:38 pm
1 emeralds 373 8
6/20/2012 7:48 pm
11volt11's Avatar 11volt11
Hey guys. Funny, within the past week I have now made three threads about some form of technology.

Well, today, I find myself in a bit of a pickle with Windows Live Movie Maker. Let me first say that I hate WLMM compared to the original Windows Movie Maker. The UI in the original version was better as it featured a timeline. It was almost always more stable than WLMM, never crashing in all my experience. Microsoft's decision of making it required to rely on WLMM rather than have the original Movie Maker like in Vista or prior is beyond me.

This is my issue. I'm trying to put together a quick Minecraft short-film that me and my friend made. I used the free trial of FRAPS to record. Yes, that means that I had to record individual 30-second segments each time. The problem: when I tried to edit the 19 gigabyte mass of .avi files that FRAPS spit out at me (You heard right; 19 gigabytes!), Movie Maker shuts down at random intervals.

Actually, let me correct myself. It doesn't shut down. My display driver crashes, which led me to believe that my video card (Which is a MSI Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 ti 1gigabyte GDDR5 overclocked). My video card was overclocked, by yours truly. I had it at a core frequency of 900-some mhz (Which ran completely stable. It was a clock speed recommended by Maximum PC, mind you.). I highly doubted that my video card was the issue, my drivers were all up to date, but I ran it at its stock clock speed anyway, just to be safe.

To go into detail about when my display driver crashes, a pink screen takes over my monitor. An oscillating, big mass of pink hardware crash right before your eyes. Did I mention it was pink? And when the crash happens, the only thing I can do is press the reset button on my PC.

I also considered my 8 gigabytes of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 processor Random Access Memory. When it crashes, it just yells "Memory problem" to me.

As for my CPU, I have a second generation Intel Core^(C) i5 2400 processor, @ 3.1 ghz. (You know, the one with a locked multiplier... )

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with an H2 socket and a Z68 chipset.

I have a Corsair 600 watt PSU.

And, I have a 500 gigabyte 7200 rpm hard drive. I even tried to put the 19 gigs of .avi footage onto an external HDD to see if it worked any better. Actually, my mistake. I tried everything under the sun (At least what I could do for free).

These are the steps I took so far to attempt to solve my driver/software/hardware/memory issues:

1. I compressed every segment into 5-100 megabytes each. I downsized it from 19 gigs to 500 megs. Didn't work.
2. I converted every .avi file into .wmv. Figures Microsoft would want everyone to use a file format that was made by them. But it still didn't work.
(Although at this point, it wouldn't crash at random anymore; only when I try to export video.)
3. Ran Movie Maker as admin. Didn't work.
4. Set priority level to "Real-time". Didn't let me. Set it to "High". Didn't work.
5. Hit myself over the head. Didn't work.
6. Wrote this thread. Waiting to see.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I hope so. (Not that I hope your computer crashed. I just hope you can help.)

Please help me!
11volt11
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper