Fed up with the lack of response from Mods

esoomytefasgone's Avatar esoomytefasgone11/24/11 8:22 pm
12/6/2011 3:39 pm
Antiqua's Avatar Antiqua
Alright. Im always apposed to these rants, but I have reached a point where my thoughts need to be expressed in a public setting where censorship is at its most minimal.

Today, the PMC chat was filled with some of the most tasteless conversation I have ever had the displeasure to view on this site. Not only that, but the Moderators on duty at the time were incredibly unresponsive to the issues. It reached a point where myself and a few other members who attempted to tell rule breakers to shut up were being punished, but the actual people who were causing us to be aggravation went unnoticed.

Now, one of the mods brought up a valid point, and that is that mods have personal rules on punishments. I can accept that, I work in an environment that uses that ideology everyday. But it is NOT acceptable to be pick and choose the level of punishment based on how your feeling. You need to show you have some authority and grow a pair of balls. Moderators on this website are decent, but they need to stop trying to angels in the eyes of everyone and actually DO THEIR JOB and punish rulebreakers to an extent they will not do it again.

The end resulted in myseld being banned from PMC chat because apparently saying

"Do not mix up what I said and did not say"

is a banneable offense. I boiled over at this point. now the mods can apparently ban on their discretion with no proper rule set. if they dislike you, they ban you. You cannot arrest someone because you don't like them, they need to do something first

This community needs to actually take action on people who rule
break instead of punishing the regular members who actually contribute, because they are standing up for THEIR community. Enact a 0 tollerence rule on trolling and rulebreaking, and i Guarantee you will see a dramatic decrease in the number of rulebreakers here.

But no, that wont happen because we have 9 moderators, 9 moderators for thousands of people. This site has officially gone to all hell and if CYprezz does not take action and actually recruit mods who understand authority, working with rulebreakers and have the guts to make enemies, then so be it. ill stay. But untill then ill continue to act the way I do. User can not sit on the sidelines anymore, they need to take an active role. if telling someone to shut up because the mods wont do anything is so wrong, then solve the problem, and get mods who DO THEIR JOB.

rant over.
esoomytefasgone
Level 55 : Grandmaster Guard

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Antiqua
12/06/2011 3:39 pm
Level 28 : Expert Elf
CONGRATS AGAIN MY LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raxos
12/06/2011 2:41 pm
Level 47 : Master Pixel Painter
Let the thread die, SafetyMoose is a mod...
Mistablockout
12/06/2011 2:39 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Caveman
You're right, but what can we, the users, do? We can't just leave, but we can't aggravate without punishment either. But instead of complaining or "ranting", we can out-troll the trolls, who knows it might work, might not. The big picture here is that this site will eventually fix itself, no doubt, but you have to take the hits until it happens. Though I can agree that power is an issue, but moderators aren't the superpower of this site and they will eventually be removed or demoted for wrong actions. So relax, chill, this site will be okay in a couple of months or two .
accountfleftfordead
12/03/2011 8:28 pm
Level 45 : Master Network
I completly agree with everything
Crapshack
12/03/2011 8:24 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
I don't recall getting a warning, but now I can't access my server's page. What with all the 'glitches' giving servers 30,000 likes and our server still staying on the first page despite that, it's kind of important that I have access to the page.

Yeah, I was a bit of a sarcastic jerk in chat, but I don't think I did anything to warrant a permanent site-wide ban. Keep me perma-ban me from chat if it makes Tharesan feel good, I don't really care. Unban me from the rest of the site, though.
Crapshack
12/04/2011 7:17 pm
I've sent emails, I've messaged Cyprezz, I've tried talking to the moderator in question. What do I have to do to get some support around here?
SourC00kie
12/03/2011 1:41 pm
Level 45 : Master Blob
Rouge then you have to tell the Moderator off and or ask why they did that. I've never seen one Moderator ban someone straight off without giving at least one warning when posting some emoticons. Plus some people just leave right when they spam emoticons to avoid a ban. It's not always the Moderator.
Rouge
12/03/2011 1:45 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Geek
I know but it's just something like they do it, I'm about to tell them not to, then one second later they're off the chat and on the ban list. I usually try but you know how it is just hoping around you're not always on the chat so when I go "who banned so and so" I usually get nothing. Cyprezz should be able to see it in the logs I am assuming, but meh meh idk about all that trouble overall the whole issue needs to be fixed.
Raxos
12/03/2011 1:39 pm
Ah!
Just as Rouge said, that was the case.
Don't think I'm against the moderators though, as I've said, I totally think the moderators are superb, and do their job well.
Rouge
12/03/2011 1:36 pm
SourC00kie
Unless a Moderator banned someone right away with no warnings.

I've seen this happen This is what SafetyMoose said about some moderators not liking certain users, also I think sometimes they're just angry and stressed of moderating the chat that they just do it without thinking (which more moderators would solve) I know if I have to leave, but there aren't any moderators on, I usually stay.
SourC00kie
12/03/2011 1:33 pm
muffinguy123

Muffinguy, stop spamming emoticons.

muffinguy123

Temporary ban to muffinguy.

There is your answer Raxos.

Unless a Moderator banned someone right away with no warnings which is very unlikely. One warning is definitely enough to learn from.
Raxos
12/03/2011 1:28 pm
No, I meant in chat which I din't say.
I've seen people being banned from chat for putting in 5 smileys in a sentence.
I'm not saying that mods should do nothing.
SourC00kie
12/03/2011 1:25 pm
Raxos.

If you are complaining that Moderators are too strict then you obviously don't understand authority. If Moderators weren't strict we would see an abundant amount (more than we see now) of spam and hate and trolls. Moderators don't get strict if you do nothing wrong.
Raxos
12/03/2011 1:17 pm
We need to overthrow the moderators!
Nah, I think everyone is doing their job well, just some are too strict.
Charlizard
12/03/2011 1:27 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Everyone told us to be stricter, we listenened and we now are.
Now you're mad cause we are too strict?
Can't please everybody...

Btw, (-_-)
Rouge
12/03/2011 1:16 pm
I really agree with you here. There are mods (I don't know who by name yet but I always get complaints) that ban users for very poor choices. Something does need to be done here, I don't know what to be honest but there needs to be some review of the action that moderators take in the chat room. Your suggestion with putting warnings also comes into play with this so a running tab could be kept on every user who got kicked. Hopefully we get more moderators shortly.
Antiqua
12/03/2011 12:57 pm
Crapshack
newlibertymcDurdurdur

Uh, this thread's been pretty tame and civil. He was bringing an issue that needs to be taken care of to everyone's attention.

I think you are the one trolling, sir.

I have to second this. Moose has been very mature as well as 99% of all the responses here.
Po1ntBlank
12/03/2011 11:18 am
Level 47 : Master Hunter
I think that people need to judge the moderators a little less. I seem to reference this a lot, but it is like a referee in a football game. (Im american, stereotype me as a fat guy eating a hamburger if you will :3) A lot of the calls have been ruled so they CANT be reviewed. So many of the calls are "Opinionized" where its really the opinion of whoever is judging it to make the call, which is why they dont question those calls made by the ref.

For example, the other day, it was just me, Jackanoory, Rova, and one or two people that I knew, and were AFK. I Was joking around with them, one of us would spam a link, or the other would technically break a rule, and people claim that we aren't banned due to favoritism, but what it really is, is the mod knows us enough to know we aren't serious, and are just having a good time. When someone they may not know as well does the same thing, to the mods it seems like they are just another troll, and breaking the rules.

I know this is a lot to read, but people need to understand that a lot of this is opinion, and everyone's opinion differs, but these people are made moderators so their opinion needs to be honored and respected.
Crapshack
12/03/2011 11:10 am
newlibertymcDurdurdur

Uh, this thread's been pretty tame and civil. He was bringing an issue that needs to be taken care of to everyone's attention.

I think you are the one trolling, sir.

I think the fact that a couple very tame sarcastic remarks in the chat room got me banned from the entire website is an indicator that some staff members need to be retired.
NewLibertyMC
12/02/2011 8:53 pm
Dear Safetymoose,
While I do agree with your ideology, I do not agree with you in its execution. I have seen that the staff are being a little sluggish lately (and I don't mean all of them), but I don't post my rants on a forum that everyone can see.

What you have essentially done is in fact the opposite of what you claim to oppose: Troll. You knew that by posting here in the forums you will get the attention by massing this into huge flame war. I can see why you did that: Get Attention. But, sadly that is exactly the same intentions any other troller has when they start flaming bronies, minecraft, etc: Get Attention.

Instead a more responsible way if you had respected Planetminecraft, the staff, and especially Cyprezz who takes his personal time to dedicate to this is to have sent them a PM. I have yet to have a PM ignored by any member of the staff and simply not seeking that route was very unthoughtful of you.

So, since this thread has already ballooned out of scale I would recommend to you Safetymoose that you remove this thread, end the flame war, and just PM the same message to the PMC staff.

Sincerely,
Lee
Raxos
12/02/2011 11:40 am
I think most moderators are decent enough, just that minority always seem in a "banning" mood.
NewLibertyMC
11/30/2011 6:51 am
Guys chill down. I know these days PMC is moving a little sluggishly such as those glitches with diamonds still not being fixed. Anyway, it is because they don't have enough staff to monitor everyone and if they start hiring people at random, they will just be more incidents of low-caliber staff banning people just because they can.

I kind of understand the issue that PMC is going through since I run my own server and we have also been kind of overloaded with help requests. We still refuse to let people take shortcuts to become staff (aka. Whining) because we want to keep the quality of the staff right where we have it.

The best solution for now guys is to wait it out. Cyprezz and the other staff do go through all the reports and they have enough on their plates without us whining about it. Let them do their magic and everything will be fine again. Cheers. Over and out.
Antiqua
11/29/2011 6:29 pm
Trevin
Antiqua
TrevinComparing a website to a country....and you're from Canada?

The contrasting comparison obviously flew over your head. It was an excellent allegory because we are a community as in any country. All countries have stats, so do we.

I think it flew over your head buddy!

Idiocy has a tendency to do that to me, I can never understand it. Were you attempting sarcasm?
Dignity7
11/29/2011 6:24 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Trevin
Antiqua

The contrasting comparison obviously flew over your head. It was an excellent allegory because we are a community as in any country. All countries have stats, so do we.

Kudos to you for that witty response. But I'm curious to know just what you got out of the comparison, because by saying what you said, your implying you got something out of it that the rest of us haven't. Why can't a site be compared to a country?
Hiyadudez
11/29/2011 5:59 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Bunny
Megaverse
11/29/2011 5:48 pm
Level 22 : Expert Architect
Well if your not happy just sniff his IP pass for a cop with the internet company and with the adress make an example of nerds who feel safe to pass for gods behind their screens by removing their knew cap with a baseball bat, Otherwise just download what you want or communicate with specific people PRIVATLY and let go of it. It's normal to encounter people who do not agree and people in general ..well especially religious people tend to get violent directly as soon as one do not agree with their views...so Advoid them, I guess it must not be that hard ? right ?
iRapp
11/29/2011 5:38 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Technomancer
A vote would simply not work because of the fact that it would become a popularity contest, not a picking of the best of the best members.

And as for the Moderator deal... We definitely need more Mods. Back in the day, we only had three or four mods, and the entire site was controlled, but it is different now. We need to step it up, make more mods, and take better care of the site.

Cookies to you, Safety. You have said exactly what needs to be said.
Poke
11/29/2011 5:44 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Loremaster
That's why we suggested that the nominated people go to Cyprezz and then he chooses who he thinks will be a good member of staff by seeing warning level, helpfulness, previous posts and such.
timoteo2000
11/29/2011 5:35 pm
Level 46 : Master Technomancer
I agree with this, I do think the SITE Mods are not doing their job, or even responding to PMs from people who have had hard times with that Mod. FORUM Mods are doing a great job, they don't ban people who don't break the rules of the forums, they support those who go up against the rule breakers, and then they ban the rule breakers.
Also, many of you may know me from my Link skins, other skins, and also my server, I actually have supposedly 'recolored' my Creeper Mage, when all the colorings were original, and then I got banned for 2 weeks, and some how I had 'done this before' but it was the first time a submission of mine got removed for recoloring.
Now I'm afraid to post my next original skin, or project, because I'll get in trouble some how, even if I made the skin ALL by hand.
So all in all, we don't just need new Mods, we need ones who use sources for their removals of skins, instead of just asuming it was stolen, and not looking on sites like 'Miners Need Cool New Shoes' or what ever, the PMC posts, and Skindex, the current ones go like "Oh I THINK I've seen this before, exactly the same minus a few pixels." Is any GOOD member of PMC dumb enough to recolor a skin!? Like me, I was happy to hear about a place with XP and levels I could upload my builds, and skins, and servers on, then when my submissions that were original got removed, and I got tempbanned from posting submissions, I was angered, and when I thought about making a rant post, and did, I got tempbanned from the forums and chat :/ The rany post didn't even refer to any Mods, or my submissions, so I was angered, but only one Mod has removed any posts I have made, I won't say his/her name, but I will say, this fits into the same topic, Mods find an enemy, look on his/her profile every week, and remove stuff, or just (when down votes existed) down voted all the new ones.
Trevin
11/29/2011 5:32 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
Antiqua

Poke
11/29/2011 5:04 pm
s15c
This isn't complaining. SafetyMoose has actually got some good suggestions and ideas to share about how we can improve Moderation on PMC

It's still complaining Complaining is just saying that you're unhappy or dissatisfied with something. And thanks for reading the rest of my five line post, really appreciate it.

Six line post* but if you had your 'Moderation Ninjas' then won't people want answers on why one of their creations were removed? Or if they need help.
Charlizard
11/29/2011 4:58 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Network
I completely agree that we need more moderators, but voting is NOT the way to go. Everyone here should know why,
I will probabl make a longer response to this, but right now I am restricted to only using my phone.
But when I come off my phone, I will start being stricter.
PlankGang
11/29/2011 4:57 pm
Level 45 : Master Pirate
Mods not responding, will travel.
trenty43
11/29/2011 5:59 pm
Level 40 : Master Dolphin
i see what u did der
ZaphodX
11/29/2011 4:56 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
Well someone needs to suggest to Cyprezz to consider adding more moderators, otherwise all this discussion is ultimately useless.
s15c
11/29/2011 4:55 pm
Level 45 : Master Enderdragon
This isn't complaining. SafetyMoose has actually got some good suggestions and ideas to share about how we can improve Moderation on PMC

It's still complaining Complaining is just saying that you're unhappy or dissatisfied with something. And thanks for reading the rest of my five line post, really appreciate it.
AliksZander
11/29/2011 4:53 pm
Level 46 : Master Droid
Wow, this has to be one of the most in-depth and mature discussions I have ever seen on a forum, and nobody has raged really. I have got to admit that moderation on a whole is a bit thin as there is hardly enough moderators to cope with the hundreds of thousands of active users at PMC. I have got to say though some certain moderators do their job immensely well and handle the situation with great control, although I have seen certain moderators use favouritism and their personal mood against other members of the community, which should not even be a variable of the ban. All i think is that some of the more mature members such as SafetyMoose should be offered a spot on the moderation team, as PMC is in desperate need of more moderators and certain members of the community could handle various situations with great authority. I also think that some moderators should step back a little bit and put their personal feelings aside, no one likes a grumpy community member, moderator or not.
Poke
11/29/2011 4:49 pm
s15cI wish there was a website where people don't always complain about administration and such.

SourC00kie
11/29/2011 4:46 pm
I can't say I don't agree. I'll be honest, I'm a Moderator and I do see actions by other Moderators that I don't like, but I keep my mouth shut about it unless it is something big. Rather than starting a pointless argument publicly with someone that you feel did something wrong, you can either PM them if you do want discuss about the situation or you can PM an other Moderator to solve the issue.

Like ML32 said, do not state your issues publicly to form a lynch mob. I'm not just saying that to defend us Moderators, I'm saying that for everyone. We don't want flaming or inappropriate lynch mobbing going on around the forums. We're all friends here (hopefully) and we can at least accept each other or if we can't, you can simply ignore each other.

PMC is in a current state of trouble ever since Minecon and the release of 1.0. We have seen a huge mass of new people coming to PMC which is great but it's troublesome too as there is more to worry about. We will be picking up new Moderators up eventually, we do realize you all want to help and we do realize we need help. Please remain patient and what you can do to help us out (we would really appreciate it) is continuing to report anything that is going on that breaks PMC's rules and telling people off who are trying to break PMC's rules. Sometimes even people without the actual authority can tell people off if they are doing something wrong.

So continue to do what you're doing, you guys are doing great.
s15c
11/29/2011 4:45 pm
Level 45 : Master Enderdragon
I wish there was a website where people don't always complain about administration and such. Why can't everyone just be happy? We'd get rid of a lot of hyperactive morons that just want to be mod.

Heck, if I were in charge, being a moderator wouldn't show up to the public. Would fix a lot of problems. Or you could at least make the supposedly new moderators ninjas and gradually work all the others into the system with excuses.
Antiqua
11/29/2011 4:40 pm

Poke
11/29/2011 4:23 pm
I wonder if Cyprezz will see this?
Fartfingers
11/29/2011 4:34 pm
Level 24 : Expert Goblin
I really, really hope so.
Trevin
11/29/2011 4:18 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
panhead86Wow... That's actually a really sobering fact. Cyprezz! Read this please!

SafetyMoose
panhead86I'm with ya here. We have great mods, but you got banned for NOTHING. The mods need to have some guidelines, and show authority where it is due.

I also agree that we need quite a few more mods considering the massive amount of people we have.

We have a lesser mod to player ration then South Africa has a police to civilian ratio..

PMC has less control over its rules then an African country.

Comparing a website to a country....and you're from Canada?
anonpmc52215
11/29/2011 4:00 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
[deleted]
panhead86
11/29/2011 3:43 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Musician
Yeah, exactly. Cyprezz would CHOOSE mods based on a vote. There wouldn't be a winner, there would just be the highest voted members. That way WE get to have our say, but Cyprezz could make the final decisions after a test/trial run or whatever. I just think a vote would be a good way to let the community show who would make the best moderator.

pokemonboy100
Dagumboss
panhead86Also, I thought of a cool idea that I'm going to talk to Cyprezz about. We are a community, and I think we, as a community, should choose who rules us. PMC should be a democracy. So I present to everyone that we should vote for a few new PMC mods. Cyprezz could then choose a few new mods from the candidates with the most votes.
Here's how it would work: We, as a community, could nominate some candidates for moderator (Whether it would be Forum, Chat, or Site, Cyprezz could choose), and then we could use a poll to vote on the candidates. PMC is a massively growing community, with new members every day. We NEED more mods, and I think a vote would be a great way to let the people decide who rules them.

That sounds like a terrible idea. People will vote for their friends, not the best candidates.

We can get other Moderators to monitor what the new Mods have done on the first day to make sure the powers are not abused. And perhaps they could pass a quiz/test before they become a Moderator. Or the nominated people's names go to Moderators and they choose the players who they think would be a good staff.
Poke
11/29/2011 1:40 pm
Dagumboss
panhead86Also, I thought of a cool idea that I'm going to talk to Cyprezz about. We are a community, and I think we, as a community, should choose who rules us. PMC should be a democracy. So I present to everyone that we should vote for a few new PMC mods. Cyprezz could then choose a few new mods from the candidates with the most votes.
Here's how it would work: We, as a community, could nominate some candidates for moderator (Whether it would be Forum, Chat, or Site, Cyprezz could choose), and then we could use a poll to vote on the candidates. PMC is a massively growing community, with new members every day. We NEED more mods, and I think a vote would be a great way to let the people decide who rules them.

That sounds like a terrible idea. People will vote for their friends, not the best candidates.

We can get other Moderators to monitor what the new Mods have done on the first day to make sure the powers are not abused. And perhaps they could pass a quiz/test before they become a Moderator. Or the nominated people's names go to Moderators and they choose the players who they think would be a good staff.
Dagumboss
11/29/2011 1:07 pm

Jack
11/29/2011 12:53 pm
Level 49 : Master uwu
panhead86
11/29/2011 12:23 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Musician
I think PMC has some great mods compared to what we could have... I mean, no one's perfect. Everyone has good days and bad days. Everyone shows favoritism and occasionally will lash out at someone for little or no reason. It's human nature.

BUT... I think the mods need to have some guidelines. I have no idea what kind of guidelines for mods are already in place, but I'm guessing it's mostly a "do what you think is right" kind of thing. That's okay for some areas, because the mods are so fair and honest, but really the mods need to ALWAYS react the same way to different actions. Banning someone for something and then later letting someone get away with it while you were watching isn't okay. I'm not saying this happens alot... But I'm just saying that all you mods should think about making some definitive punishments for certain actions. That's the way laws work, and I think it should work in a similar way on the internet. Like I said... I don't know what kind of borders there already are. I'm just saying that it doesn't look like there are a whole lot for the mods. Just something to think about.

Also, I thought of a cool idea that I'm going to talk to Cyprezz about. We are a community, and I think we, as a community, should choose who rules us. PMC should be a democracy. So I present to everyone that we should vote for a few new PMC mods. Cyprezz could then choose a few new mods from the candidates with the most votes.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome