For those who like to argue and debate stuff.

SleepyDog's Avatar SleepyDog8/26/15 7:48 pm
1 emeralds 1.6k 15
8/28/2015 7:40 pm
insomniac_lemon's Avatar insomniac_lemon
If anyones looking to leave their opinion on how the content on PMC is getting drastically terrible, and how the level system works, read my latest blog and leave your feedback on the comments.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/standards-on-pmc/

Put your feedback on the comments of the blog post, so I get an update. Thanks.
SleepyDog
Level 37 : Artisan Button Pusher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/28/2015 7:40 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Pixel Painter
insomniac_lemon
Knight I don't see what you're talking about when you say that bad content shouldn't be on the front page of the site; there's hardly ever anything far below the normal quality (maybe the Blogs and Texture Packs sections, but those are scarce for posts anyways).

Everything goes through the front page since it shows the 4 "newest updated" per section by default.

The front page pop reel isn't so bad, but currently does have bad stuff from the texture section, and the pop reel in the actual texture section is even worse: default edit packs, flat packs, PVP/server packs, Fan packs that edit <50 textures (usually mobs)

The problem being that just about everything reaches the pop reel shortly after being submitted: a few people diamond or download quickly and it sets off a hair trigger to put it on the pop reel.

This isn't just an issue because bad stuff gets pop reeled, but because going to the pop reel is basically a one-time thing. That means that if you improve your submission after you've pop reeled, there's basically no way to get it back on even though it might be incredibly better than it was before and you may not have wanted to make pop reel had you known it.
08/28/2015 12:58 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
We have the same basic system in place. Because we don't have a means of downvotes, we just have more collective upvotes/diamonds. The more diamonds, the more the content is liked. I don't see what you're talking about when you say that bad content shouldn't be on the front page of the site; there's hardly ever anything far below the normal quality (maybe the Blogs and Texture Packs sections, but those are scarce for posts anyways).
08/28/2015 7:00 am
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
your blog doesnt seem to exist
08/28/2015 7:23 am
SleepyDog
The blog is disabled for moderator review. It will be back soon.
08/28/2015 4:11 am
Level 31 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
Dude quite frankly some aren't about to just copy paste on your blog. This is a public post not a blog. Expect people to comment on this post but not on your blog.
08/27/2015 11:53 am
SleepyDog
Sorry, I don't check this thread. Put your comments on the blog post.
08/27/2015 10:21 pm
Knightsundere
Uhh, no. I don't plan on copy pasting my comment to your blog to generate more views. If you personally would like to discuss what others have already said, it'd be far easier if you did it here.

As for comments on your blog, go for it.
08/27/2015 3:00 am
Knightsundere
insomniac_lemon
You've got it backwards. This is a "public forum" where we see the content, therefore we're allowed to discuss or criticize content. Simply put: if they didn't want people doing this, they shouldn't put it online at a public site. PMC is not needed for sharing with people you know IRL.

You misunderstood, he means that they shouldn't be criticized for posting low quality work as a singular unit, not as a successive series of awful content. Criticism to help and grow is totally fine, but, calling someone who has no experience 'bad' is a little harsh.

And the main point of this post @OP is a little shortsighted. The amount of low quality work hasn't gone down at all; we've just gotten used to more high quality work. As people get better, and post more and more, and get to the popreel, we become accustomed to good content. But we still have new people/amateurs, just as many as in the olden days of the site.

Now - Good amount of HQ work, set amount of LQ work
Then - Low amount of HQ work, set amount of LQ work

Thus, we expect more HQ work.
08/26/2015 10:46 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
You can't criticize people who make lower quality products. It's what they want to post, and that's that. Sure, it may seem revolting to some at times, but if the author thinks it's good enough to be submitted, so be it.

Also, PMC isn't about little perks like on that other site you were talking about, like Foxy said. It's about sharing your works and connecting with people of a similar merit.
08/27/2015 1:07 am
Level 39 : Artisan Pixel Painter
insomniac_lemon
You've got it backwards. This is a "public forum" where we see the content, therefore we're allowed to discuss or criticize content. Simply put: if they didn't want people doing this, they shouldn't put it online at a public site. PMC is not needed for sharing with people you know IRL.

Also, the PMC rules make it clear it ISN'T just about sharing everything and anything you make:

Important: Upload Original Content
Quality work and proper credit is important to our community.

For instance, how traces, remixes, and mod-creator mods aren't allowed.

As a community, we are entitled to give feedback on submissions, be it good or bad. However, authors don't have to listen to any of it. They can ignore all feedback and keep making content at the same level as they always have. If feedback bothers someone, they should not be on this site or possibly not even on the internet.
08/26/2015 10:33 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
It sounds like a ranting post because you've missed the point that there are 1,819,492 Total Members with 1,260,108,948 Total submission views.

Not even worth arguing or critically assessing it.
08/26/2015 9:00 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
KingRex35
So if your content is worse than you can't do something on your website. Sounds like such a good website...
The good thing about PMC is you have freedom no matter what the content you make is like.
08/28/2015 7:27 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
^
This

Sure, people starting out may make bad stuff, but with practice, they get better. An example is me.
08/28/2015 7:33 am
SleepyDog
can't do something on your website

I never said they can't do something, they can still do everything, but it won't be displayed on the front page. Think like reddit, their good content is filtered out by the users and then displayed on the front page. You can still post links, but people are unlikely to see them unless the few people who do see them vote them up. Or you can vote them down, which means 'content that is unlikely to attract people' is not on the front page.
08/26/2015 8:27 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Debates? I always win! (Sometimes I win so good people have to /ban me!)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome