Hosting (Myself)

iMine4Fun98's Avatar iMine4Fun9812/8/12 12:41 am
12/9/2012 12:02 pm
mmorton89's Avatar mmorton89
So. I'm sick of paying for hosts and have been looking into throwing my server up again. I have a really epic server build that's been a side-project for a few months now while I played on and off and got addicted to GW2. I'm looking into building myself a host computer. My mom is going to snag me a computer from her work, where they only but top of the line gear. The problem, however, is that it's two years old (the recycle time for the computers) and has probably been under heavy use. I plan throwing about 8 gigs of RAM into the thing and leaving the processor, most likely a semi-decent intel around 2.5 GhZ. Also, I'm thinking about buying a better cooling fan. I'll leave it in minimal power mode and with all settings reduced to low. Also, there will be no mouse, keyboard, or monitor on it and it will be wired into a 100 Mbps connection via ethernet. Also, I' going to do a complete wipe on the data. The computer will be on 24/7, possibly half hour tops breaks at off hours on the weekends, 5 AM Eastern time approx. It will be somewhat elevated and in a good, open position. How will this work out? Think I'll cause heavy lag? Overheat? Thoughts? Anything?

PS Max player slots on my server will be 50, with a plugin that allows donators to join it when it's full so at maximum times etc. probly 40-55 player online.

PSS I'll probably FTP and Teamview into it. Or simply hook up monitor when I'm near it. IDK.
iMine4Fun98
Level 1 : New Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

MrWolfe
12/09/2012 11:21 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Taco
MrWolfeIt should be fine.

I think I did.

You have plenty of RAM, and a decent internet connection. There's no reason it won't work out.
iMine4Fun98
12/08/2012 7:02 pm
okay guys, here's the deal. I wanted to know how my hardware would stand up to hosting. not how to host, not where to buy a hoster, simply my hardware. please, please, please, answer. god.
mmorton89
12/09/2012 12:02 pm
Level 20 : Expert Nerd
Could you give more information on your hardware then?

Things like the processor model, if your using a HDD or SSD and the setup of your hard drive(s) and maybe what OS you are running this on?

I saw you said 8 GB of RAM which isn't bad, but there is not much information on your computers hardware.

Edit - also how many plugins you think you want to run on the server, if your going to be using bukkit.
RedstoneMastR
12/08/2012 1:42 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Ok, they arn't telling you anything besides junk.

1. Go to minecraft.net/download
2. Download the Multiplayer server. It should say "Minecraft_Server.exe (802 KB)", so click that.
3. Create a new folder on your desktop and title it "Minecraft Server"
4. Drag the Minecraft_Server.exe into the Minecraft Server folder
5. Open minecraft_server.exe then close it. You need to do this so that you have the necessary folders to setup your server.
6. Open server.properties file
7. Open command prompt, and type "ipconfig" in CMD
8. Write down your IPv4 Address, you will need it in a minute
9. Go back to server.properties file
  • Type in your IPv4 Address after "server-ip=" (Example: server-ip=192.168.0.1
  • Your server-port= and query.port= should both be 25565
  • where it says "enable-command-block=false" into "enable-command-block=true"
  • Change "spawn-protection=X" into "spawn-protection=100"
  • ** X represents any number
  • change "motd=" into "motd=T"
  • ** T represents any amount of text

Now you should save the file
10. Open your ops.txt file, and type your name in it. Add all additional players you want to be OP, 1 player per line, then save.
11. You can use a new world, or download one. If you choose to download a map, create a new folder named "world". Drag the data from the map download into the folder named "world". If you choose to not download a map, open minecraft_server.exe, and wait for a map the generate.
12. You want to port forward your server now. Go to http://www.whatismyip.org/ and take note of your IP address. This IP is important because without it, other players can NOT connect to your server. Open a new internet tab, and type your IP address, not IPv4 address, into the URL box. A login screen should appear for you to access your router to port forward. You want to type in your router login details. You should then find a place to port forward. Type in your IPv4 address in the port forwarding section, along with the default port, 25565.
13. Forward the port, and then open minecraft_server.exe
14. Open minecraft.exe. You still need your IPv4 address and IP address. For YOU to play the server from the computer the server is being hosted on, you must use your IPv4 address (example: 192.168.0.3). For players trying to connect on a computer other than the one the server is being hosted on, they must connect with YOUR IP address (example: 75.82.95.114)
iMine4Fun98
12/08/2012 11:45 am
Ummmmmm. My computer speed, in properties, is currently 140 Mbps on my laptop, and my router currently only allows a max speed of 100 Mbps for wired connections, but I have less trouble with them so I would be using a wire for the server. Also, it will be 100% dedicated to the server with no other programs in the background. I have comcast xfinity. And my mom is upgrading the plan soon to a 50 Mbps download speed and a higher upload speed one because she knows I enjoy gaming etc.
bubblecon11
12/08/2012 7:02 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Your internet should be fire for a smsllmserver. The computer should hold about 70 people, plus plugins (assuming about 20)
gokarter24
12/08/2012 1:47 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Engineer
Unless you pay $1500-$3000/Month for your internet then you don't have a 100Mbps uplink speed.
MrWolfe
12/08/2012 9:22 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Taco
Poppycock!

There's a 200/200 connection available for less than $200 around here. (Wish I had that :<)

It should be fine.
iMine4Fun98
12/08/2012 1:36 am
D 25.45 U 5 - Ive hosted RSPS' before but this wasnt the question. The computer parts were.
bubblecon11
12/08/2012 1:02 am
Go to speedtest.net and get your upload/download speed, and post it hee
iMine4Fun98
12/08/2012 1:00 am
Well, that's what my question was about right? Me contemplating those things and asking for opinions. Not askign for suggestions I already shot down or asking for a restatement of my question.
bubblecon11
12/08/2012 12:51 am
Gee thanks, if you want to host from your computer then think about your internet speed, lovation, downtimes, and reliability of the computer.
iMine4Fun98
12/08/2012 12:50 am
Don't want to pay for a host. And my internet is fine for hosting. That wasn't the point of the question and your probably a money hungry advertiser.
bubblecon11
12/08/2012 12:45 am
Unless your internet is good, then your computer isn't a good host. Paying for hosts is always easier, i can reccomend a host for you. Check out http://fluctishosting.com/whmcs/aff.php?aff=189 for a cheep host.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome