Server lag issue

Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator9/20/15 10:30 pm
1 emeralds 287 3
9/24/2015 5:11 pm
apes's Avatar apes
I've recently been experiencing an unusual amount of lag on my home-hosted server. Whenever I log in or teleport to a place outside of the chunks I can currently see, there is a several second delay between when I log in/teleport and when I can actually move around and interact with things. The issue also occurs for users connecting over the Internet. I do not recall this happening before.

I've done a bit of troubleshooting, and this is what I have gathered:
  • CPU usage remains low
  • Memory usage remains low
  • The lag persists regardless of what JAR I'm running (vanilla, CraftBukkit, or Spigot)
  • The lag persists regardless of what plugins I'm running
  • The lag persists regardless of what world is loaded
  • Disabling Intel SpeedStep does not solve the issue
  • Stopping the SQL server running in the background does not solve the issue
  • Another server running under a different user profile does not experience this issue
  • I'm running on a 7200RPM hard drive, so I won't immediately rule out disk speed being the cause, but I do not recall having this issue on an older drive.
  • Connecting through the same router does not solve the issue
  • Playing on a client on the same physical machine as the server does not solve the issue

This information leads me to believe that the issue lies somewhere on the server machine itself.

Other important info:

I have a 100Mbps internal connection to the server, the server has a 150Mbps symmetrical connection to the Internet, and the server is running a quad-core, hyper-threaded Xeon released last year with 32GB of RAM.
Leeberator
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher