How will this laptop go with shaders and mods

fritz racer's Avatar fritz racer11/18/14 4:16 pm
1 emeralds 4.9k 87
11/23/2014 8:04 pm
IDKCharlie's Avatar IDKCharlie
So, how will this laptop go with a lot of mods and good shaders?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H0B ... pheaabd-20
fritz racer
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/23/2014 2:05 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
OP, found a better lap top for $1000 than the Lenovo one I recommended earlier.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4381 ... k_Aluminum
11/23/2014 2:05 pm
IDKCharlie
To KillerToad
You can't just expect everyone to be able to afford the best. A large majority of people settle for less than people who refuse to do anything unless they get the best. Basically if companies only made stuff for the people who can afford and only focus on getting the best, they'd make a lot less money now and have a lot less customers. So screw off.
11/23/2014 7:08 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Someone doesn't know how to quote do they?

I said nothing about affording the best, I said why do they settle for less than what they payed for. Companies make that, because ignorant people settle for less.

Screw off because I am going against what you said, and you have nothing to respond back? Lol, okay.
11/23/2014 8:04 pm
IDKCharlie
I know how to quote. Can't quote more than 3 quotes at once and didn't feel like adjusting it.
11/23/2014 2:41 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Hes saying to get the most out of what you got! Not like get the best. To get the best out of $500 or $800 is to get the best parts with what you got, not get the best out of the best. I hope that made sense
11/23/2014 4:15 pm
IDKCharlie
Ok it does. Thanks for explaining it.
11/23/2014 1:03 pm
Killertoad
Charliecho
RoboShadow
Charliecho

Anyway, to the OP, I suggest this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6Z ... =pcgaho-20

I know you asked if the one you showed would work, but I'm just showing you this one in case you're interested in looking into other lap tops as well.

Thats laptop sounds conflicted

Hard Drive 1000 GB flash_memory_solid_state
Flash Memory Size 8

Also, we're recommending him a desktop because he doesn't want to use it in random places, but rather in his 2 houses.

Also, with that laptop, he won't be getting 60+fps on high settings at 1080p
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 60m-review

I don't know that much about computers, but I already know that you don't know much either, and possibly less than I do. You don't HAVE to max out FPS. People settle for lower fairly often, and it doesn't always mean they lag. Before my lap top grew old and overused, I ran Minecraft on normal settings at 40 fps and I never lagged. Now my lap top is old, much outdated, and frankly overused, so I lag a lot on Minecraft. Furthermore, people don't always aim for top-notch graphics.

I've been told by SOO MANY people that the lap top I just recommended was good, especially for its price. Some of these people include a computer science college student, some friends who have taken several computer classes, and more.

People like you are the reason why we have low end consoles, and low end "gaming computers". You settle for less than what you can get out of it. If i'm gonna spend a good chunk of my hard earned money, then it better on something that'll do what I want it to do.

Snowy
I dont understand why everyone thinks the parts are lower quality. Here in Aus they're the same parts that other brands use. Both of mine have never malfunctioned or caused issues in any way. I understand some people get problems, but so do others who dont even have an Alienware.

They use cheap hardware, they down clock them, and cheap out on the cooling to save money. Look at any OEM "gaming computer" they all do it, not just alienware, but alienware gets the most hate because they cost so much more for the same thing you'd get from another OEM.
11/21/2014 1:04 am
fritz racer
Sometimes I do go to other places where I need a laptop, so am I supposed to carry around a DESKTOP, monitor, keyboard, speakers and or headphones?
Btw if it helps my current laptop is an asus k55vd sx071h
11/20/2014 10:23 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Alienware is absolutely fine IF you dont mind paying some more than it's really worth. Yes, they're expensive, yes, you can build one for cheaper, but they're good gaming computers.
11/20/2014 11:10 pm
Level 28 : Expert Network
Swag Lord
You pay a few hundred extra bucks for the brand name, that's why they're so expensive. For instance, an Alienware laptop with an Intel i3 core costs $800!
11/20/2014 10:35 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
They're really not. I'd stay away from Alienware even if I was buying a laptop, something in the same price range from Asus, MSI, or Lenovo will be better and use higher quality components.
11/20/2014 11:01 pm
Ash
I own an Alienware desktop, and have owned an Alienware laptop in the past. They've both been wonderful. Didn't want to build my own, didn't care about the price. Apart from those two things, Alienware works just fine for gaming purposes. Not everyone in the world wants to build their own computer, and would rather get a known brand even if it costs more.

I dont understand why everyone thinks the parts are lower quality. Here in Aus they're the same parts that other brands use. Both of mine have never malfunctioned or caused issues in any way. I understand some people get problems, but so do others who dont even have an Alienware.
11/20/2014 10:14 pm
IDKCharlie
RoboShadow
Charliecho

I know you asked if the one you showed would work, but I'm just showing you this one in case you're interested in looking into other lap tops as well.

Flash Memory Size 8

Also, we're recommending him a desktop because he doesn't want to use it in random places, but rather in his 2 houses.

I don't know that much about computers, but I already know that you don't know much either, and possibly less than I do. You don't HAVE to max out FPS. People settle for lower fairly often, and it doesn't always mean they lag. Before my lap top grew old and overused, I ran Minecraft on normal settings at 40 fps and I never lagged. Now my lap top is old, much outdated, and frankly overused, so I lag a lot on Minecraft. Furthermore, people don't always aim for top-notch graphics.

I've been told by SOO MANY people that the lap top I just recommended was good, especially for its price. Some of these people include a computer science college student, some friends who have taken several computer classes, and more.
11/20/2014 9:50 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragonborn
TheGrim123321

Not everyone cares about 60fps and 1080p. I play on low res and thats because not everyone cares about graphics.

You cant get much gaming performance out of a Laptop as most of them do not have dedicated graphics cards. Though If you want a gaming laptop. Don't get an Alienware. I'd reccomend what Charliecho said. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6Z ... =pcgaho-20
My friend used this laptop for while and he got decent frames on mid-high settings.

All though If you change your mind here is a 1k desktop build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Zeus Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE82 V2 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Mwave)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1055.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 21:50 EST-0500
11/20/2014 9:25 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
Charliecho

Flash Memory Size 8

11/20/2014 9:08 pm
IDKCharlie
He needs a lap top, not a desk top. Why can't you people just leave it at that? You REALLY need further explanation? Is needing a lap top THAT unbelievable or outrageous to you? You must know the "why"? Instead of commenting completely unrelated things or suggesting something other than what he's asking for, why don't you actually help him with what he's looking for. I'm talking to you RoboShadow and KillerToad.

11/20/2014 8:46 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
_Polar_
What does OP mean
11/20/2014 9:01 pm
RoboShadow
Original Poster
11/20/2014 8:39 pm
RoboShadow
n8mo
David5886
n8mo
Back on topic. OP, go ask on some less biased website, the people here aren't going to help you.

OP is probably still going to get the same results if he goes to another site.
And what do you mean aren't going to help you, we have been trying to help him for a while now.

Not in the way he wants you to help him. He asked a simple question and got 65 unrelated answers.

How are the answers "unrelated?" We are simply trying to help him. He hasn't given a reason to specifically why he needs a laptop.
11/20/2014 8:21 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
David5886
n8mo
Back on topic. OP, go ask on some less biased website, the people here aren't going to help you.

And what do you mean aren't going to help you, we have been trying to help him for a while now.

Not in the way he wants you to help him. He asked a simple question and got 65 unrelated answers.
11/20/2014 8:19 pm
David5886
n8mo

11/20/2014 7:55 pm
Level 27 : Expert Skinner
coolzzz2hip
I got the same one. It was freakin slow!
11/20/2014 6:55 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Killertoad
So, if someone is about to buy a 2005 stock Chevy Impala for say, 80,000 dollars, should we let them? Or point them to a better, faster, and cheaper car?

Like a 2014 Honda Accord.
11/20/2014 5:49 pm
n8mo
I'm endlessly entertained with these threads. Guys, he's asking for a laptop; stop trying to convince him he needs a desktop. If the guy wants a laptop then you should get off your high-horse and stop giving him part-lists for desktop builds.
11/20/2014 6:35 pm
Killertoad
We are trying to help him. He's uneducated and we are trying to tell him that buying a laptop is not a smart move.

So, if someone is about to buy a 2005 stock Chevy Impala for say, 80,000 dollars, should we let them? Or point them to a better, faster, and cheaper car?
11/20/2014 7:39 pm
n8mo
Trying to help him is a great idea, but he's obviously not going to change his mind.

This thread has 5 pages and 60 replies, almost all of which are telling him to get a desktop. He's stated multiple times that he needs a laptop and you guys have gotten him nowhere. Some help you have been. From what I've read he knows that a desktop would be more affordable and would perform far better, but he insists he needs a laptop.

He's asking for a damn laptop, you are knowledgeable about computers, so point him toward a damn laptop and stop telling him what he does or doesn't need, you are assuming too much about this guy's life.
[/rant]
11/20/2014 8:05 pm
Killertoad
No one is telling him what he needs and doesn't need. Until he gives a full out reason why he "needs" a laptop, then we will provide reasons why a laptop is a waste of time and money.
11/20/2014 8:14 pm
n8mo
Well, I tried. No point in arguing with someone as stubborn as you.

11/20/2014 5:47 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
BlueMC
I have that SAME laptop. It runs smoothly. It doesn't run PERFECTLY with mods and shaders, but it works pretty good.
11/20/2014 3:37 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
"Intel Integrated Graphics"

ayy lmao

I'd advise you to get a desktop, but here are some good laptop options:

Alienware 13: (It's actually pretty good for the price) http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-13/pd?ref=PD_OC

Asus ROG GL551: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... oCLvjw_wcB

MSI GE Series GE60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152625
11/20/2014 5:36 pm
David5886
Once again, YOU NEVER BUY AN ALIENWARE COMPUTER!!!

You still have to carry a power cable and mouse anyway! Why not just get a bigger bag and there you go, if you get a small desktop it wont take long to set-up, trust me, you are going to be disappointed that your laptop cant handle shaders. FOR $1000 you can get a desktop that can be able to run shaders pretty good. If most of the people on this forum are telling you to get a desktop, THEN GET A DESKTOP!
11/20/2014 9:55 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
I would, but OP won't change his mind. I haven't had any problems with my old Alienware laptop, and it ran fairly well, I just upgraded to a desktop because I felt I needed more power for 1080p usage.
11/20/2014 9:59 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragonborn
TheGrim123321
It's not the performace of an Alienware its the price. The hardware is over priced. Exe. $1000 only has 600-700 dollar hardware in it. So its much more efficent and cheaper to buy a diffrent and cheaper laptop.
11/20/2014 3:23 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
PookieSK
I can help you.
DON'T BUY A LAPTOP AND USE SHADERS.
there you go. Buy a desktop. Laptops die in less than 3-5 years. usually after 2 year's they're halfway their death.
11/20/2014 2:21 pm
fritz racer
I don't really have anyway for a proper desktop setup
11/20/2014 6:03 pm
David5886
My friend, who just got done building a computer, he didnt either, all he did was grabbed some wood from friends and family, put them all together and thats what he uses! until he did that, he just used his tv and had his desktop by its side on the floor. You have to be creative if you cant afford a desk or something like that.
11/20/2014 11:15 am
Level 1 : New Miner
MaddDogg
well you could build a "kind of" portable desktop
11/20/2014 11:19 am
Leeberator
[yt]59EGzccaT40[/yt]
11/20/2014 2:40 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
if you plan on gaming, wireless keyboards and mice suck.

WHAT??!!!
11/20/2014 1:50 am
fritz racer
THANK YOU
I don't want to carry around a desktop a keyboard a mouse speakers and then spend 5 minutes setting it up, I JUST WANT A LAPTOP
11/20/2014 11:04 am
Leeberator
So you'd rather spend $1000 on something that will last 2 or 3 years than something that'll easily last 5+?

Plus, you'd only be carrying around the case (12"x12"x6"), a keyboard, a mouse, and two cables (video and power). It can easily all fit in a bag.

Not to mention the fact that you'd be carrying a mouse and power cord around with your laptop anyway, so the only difference would be the size of the bag you'd carry your computer in.
11/20/2014 12:37 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
DeathPro54
IF HE WANTS A LAPTOP LET HIM GET A DAMN LAPTOP!!!
11/19/2014 10:56 pm
David5886
It takes like what 5 min to un-plug and plug in a computer? People may not like it, but, it takes less than 5 min to plug in everything you need, and it takes less if you go wireless. (Which may not be the best option, but OP is probably not going to be doing any hardcore gaming so it might just work if you dont like plugging things in or out.)
11/19/2014 9:59 pm
Skioo
Whenever I'm invited...
11/19/2014 8:46 pm
Killertoad
NavbarryOther than that nuisance, you would need two monitors, and you would need to carry around your headphones or own two pairs.

Also out of curiosity, of those who hate on alienware, how many of you own an alienware computer or have used one? I would assume a very small majority.

He could just carry around one monitor, or use TV's, or use monitors that most family's have anyways...

And are you serious? Why would I need to own an alienware to know it's a rip off? Just look at the specs. And look at reviews of it over heating, and videos looking at the insides, and you can easily realize that it is a horrible choice. Plus every computer is different. Not every single piece of hardware is the same. Knowing Dell and Alienware, they'd throw in a slower, broken gpu instead of fixing it or replacing it.
11/19/2014 8:41 pm
Killertoad
bmanrules

Saying that Shaders don't support Intel HD Graphics is a lie. There's no reason why they shouldn't, and you would definitely see some quite reasonable performance on a Haswell CPU. Not as good as a dedicated GPU but that's to be expected with an Integrated GPU. Intel do a pretty damn good job at making integrated GPUs, but they just can't match up to a dedicated GPU with it's own ram and that doesn't depend on the CPU as much.

Saying it'll run at 0fps and won't work at all isn't true though.

Sorry, the good shader packs don't support Intel HD graphics. Line Sonics, they don't support Intels, nor do they optimize for AMD cards, which is why it runs 10x's better on nVidia cards.

Intel does a pretty good job? v.s what? nVidia's old integrated graphics? Intel will do much better with Iris Pro graphics, but their HD's are just not cutting it.

And I didn't say it'd run at 0 fps, I said it'd be at the bottom of the scale, which is true. If you want to play games on a laptop, you're gonna want to get an APU, or go with a dedicated gpu. Or get a desktop, like you said.

HD 4600 will not cut it at 1080p. 720p? Maybe, but most defiantly not at 1080p.
11/19/2014 8:27 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
Why not build 2 $500 desktops? Sure it wont be as powerful as 1 $1000 desktop but then you wouldnt need to worry about portability.
11/19/2014 8:10 pm
Skioo
I use a Mini ITX PC and when I go to a friends house I use a laptop bag for my keyboard, mouse and headphones, and then I use a small suitcase for the PC, not hard at all.
11/19/2014 9:41 pm
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
[/quote]
How often do you go to your friend's house?
11/19/2014 8:06 pm
Ash
Or maybe OP would just like a laptop?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome