A Minecraft Server is stealing our hard work. What's the best course of action?

pale1's Avatar pale112/25/19 6:37 pm history
4 emeralds 351 7
12/26/2019 5:52 pm
pale1's Avatar pale1
Hey guys! I have a kind of disheartening story to share with you guys and I am looking for help.

My friends and I run a gun server called Guncolony and we make our own custom 3D gun models for our server. For years now, another gun server has been stealing our models, making minor changes to them, and passing them off as their own. We reached out to the owner of the server on numerous occasions and he consistently refuses to acknowledge the theft, and in the cases where the theft is undeniable, he refuses to believe that we even made the models in the first place. We have consistently shown the owner countless examples of proof that all our models originate from our server and always predate his every time, yet he refuses to cooperate and remove them or even to give us credit for their creation. On top of this, he is consistently rude to our team and bans our moderators from his server and discord so we cannot even reach him.

In the spoiler below, I have pictures of some examples of work he has stolen. This is only a small portion of things he has stolen from us. His stolen models are on the left side and our originals are on the right side.
EXAMPLES

At this point I am not even sure what to do so I am bringing the issue forward to you guys. If you have any suggestions or information on how we should handle this please feel free to let me know. If you are a fellow artist, you know how much is sucks to have your work stolen.
pale1
Level 49 : Master Dolphin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Hegemony
12/26/2019 5:26 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
Just contact his hosting provider and tell them they are hosting content that are infringing on copyright. You do not need to register anything for copyright, if you made it, then you have copyright over it.
pale1
12/26/2019 5:52 pm
history
How could I go about finding out what host they use? That's a very interesting idea! Thank you!
Farworlder
12/25/2019 7:30 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Loremaster
where do you make your models? I like those!

also, right now you are already taking some action, aka publicly shaming them. do this more.
pale1
12/26/2019 5:16 pm
I make them using blockbench. Not all of the ones pictured are mine some of them are made by other members of our team
WandererReece
12/25/2019 7:25 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Miner
If you have copyrights or something similar on those models, then you just need to take legal action. If you don't have a copyright, then I guess your only option is to raise awareness of the issue.

There are some sites that give free legal advice. I'd suggest going to those.
pale1
12/26/2019 5:17 pm
Ok I will look into this thank you
deadbender
12/25/2019 6:45 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Mage
I'd research how to send a DMCA takedown request. Basically saying "This is my content and I request you stop sharing it publicly on your platform, here is proof that I own the copyright", but with a bunch of fancy legal wording added. If they don't comply after that, and you really want to go into it, you could take further legal action against them. If you're based in the US, then copyright is no joke here. May also be a good idea to get more traffic toward your actual work. But take this advice with a grain of salt, not sure if PMC likes legal advice nor am I a lawyer.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome