Are Overworld Mobs Too Easy?

Jnaejnae's Avatar Jnaejnae12/15/16 4:37 am
1 emeralds 629 6
12/16/2016 4:52 am
brostermedia's Avatar brostermedia
I played a short survival run on alpha and then on minecraft 1.11 to observe differences. The one thing I found is that the basic mobs were actually threatening in alpha.

Well what exactly makes the basic mobs so nonthreatening now? I would boil it down to 2 mechanics. Blocking and sprinting. I can negate any attack with a tool that only costs 1 iron, it makes creepers useless. If I am completely surrounded I can just run and escape easily.

One of the few mobs that were difficult to fight, were baby zombies, but it was more annoying than challenging because in a grassy area they simply cannot be hit because tall grass keeps blocking my attacks. I am all for an evasive centric mob, but grass shouldnt make them invincible.

I am really fond of the new challenging boss/dungeon, but I think mobs that can spawn in caves and at night need more attention. Maybe some original cave mobs that serve as counters to defensive measures, like a mob who ignores shield and armor. I feel as if the Witch is a perfect example of what I want more of. Shes challenging enough to be intimidating, but shes not a full on boss so you can find her chilling randomly.

I want this in addition to buffs to the existing mobs. I just do not believe creepers and zombies are scary anymore. This has to do with mechanics and not skill, because playing alpha is intimidating still. I couldnt block, I couldnt run, the only way I could defeat creepers without a bow was to dip out and in with light hits. However when I was playing 1.11 I was out at night when I was surrounded by a zombie, creeper, and skeleton, the creeper blew up and I fell through the hole the creeper made into a cave with another skeleton. I didnt even lose half my health through that entire battle and I only had an iron chestplate. It felt so drastically anticlimactic.

Well what do you think? Do you think the classic mobs have been undermined to become non threatening? Do you consider minecraft alpha to be more difficult in pve combat?
Jnaejnae
Level 38 : Artisan Architect