Biomes

charliecarlo's Avatar charliecarlo3/22/11 4:42 pm
1 emeralds 406 5
3/22/2011 8:18 pm
Zaralith's Avatar Zaralith
Am I the only one who despises the things?
At first, when they were announced, it sounded cool; different types of places to explore within one world.
But what it ended up as is a whole lot of inconsistent scenery, slightly different colored grass, and useless snow.

When you're walking along in a freshly rendered world where you go from a desert straight to a snow covered forest, it really dampens immersion (strange talking about immersion in Minecraft) I feel compelled to build strictly in one biome, which can be fairly small, because I dislike the inconsistency that comes with building a castle that's half in snow, half in a forest.

The grass and trees are a big pain when it comes to retexturing, and for what? slightly different colors between slightly different biomes. I like retexturing things to be something completely different, but the only way to have not-green grass is to modify the minecraft.jar. After doing this, default textures, and any texture pack with biome compliant foliage shows up with gray grass and leaves. It wouldn't be so much of a pain if the images that controlled those things could actually be replaced with texture packs. For some reason, too, the color for pine tree leaves seems to be hard-coded into the game.

I remember when snow was something you wished for. You had to create a world until it was a blissful winter-wonderland where all your dreams came true. Now, you walk along until you see some snow sitting on the ground, out of place, as if someone had come around and put it there to mess with your head. It was so amazing building a house and having snow collect on the roof, it made the game much more charming. Now, every time I make a world, the first order of business is to MCEdit out all of the snow and ice in the rendered world, because I hate looking at it. I just don't want it.

The biomes were an ambitious idea, as was the whole of Minecraft, but with ambition comes failure or success. I count biomes as the former. Minecraft most definitely the latter. I do hope that Notch comes to his senses and gets rid of the blasted things and make Minecraft more enjoyable again.
charliecarlo
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Alien