Interest in a public Minecraft Beta 1.7.3 server?

ExecutiveProton's Avatar ExecutiveProton9/13/14 8:56 am
9/21/2014 5:28 pm
Asdft's Avatar Asdft
Wasn't sure where to post this, never really used the forums before, but this seemed like the right place.

I had this crazy idea - ever since Beta 1.8 came out, I've slowly lost interest in the game, I was ecstatic when the new launcher allowed me to downgrade to the older versions with all the funny quirks it had, but I couldn't fully relive my past experiences, as most of the time I played back then on multiplayer. Servers were a lot more quaint back then and I kind of want to recreate that feeling.

I have all of the resources I need for setting up a Beta 1.7.3 server that's on par with current, updated servers, as I kept backups of old plugins etc. from back then, and I have the know-how to do it, it's just that I don't know if anyone would actually be interested in something like that - I see classic server sprawling, but a Beta 1.7.3 server seems a little weird and having to change launcher profiles etc. would probably be a major turn-off.

I dunno, would anyone want to play? Give me your thoughts, concerns, whatever. I'd like to hear what you have to say.
ExecutiveProton
Level 1 : New Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/21/2014 5:28 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Asdft
Bump, this server deserves some more players!
192.99.21.163:25894
09/14/2014 8:47 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Taco
MinecraftSG
At one point I was tempted to buy a domain and stick a bunch of old MC versions under different subdomains. EG:
B173.***.com
or B181.***.com
for beta builds. A for alpha and so on.
09/14/2014 8:37 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
DeWildeGamer
I like it!
I would play on it!
I think that it's worth to switch from profile everytime, it's 5 clicks!
09/14/2014 8:28 am
TrickshotCat
Hey if any of you is still reading this i host a server too but only with hamachi :3
if intrested then go to dis post

minecraft-beta-hamachi-t438046.html

And also i can't join?
09/14/2014 8:07 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
CommanderNeville
It was sometime around Beta 1.7 when I started playing Minecraft
I've always been looking for a throwback server like this.
09/14/2014 8:04 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
The_Sowhart
Ahh Beta Minecraft, such a good time
I shall try joining :3
09/14/2014 8:02 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Explorer
ApoTriKz
Great idea dude! Ill be sure to join!
09/14/2014 7:50 am
ExecutiveProton
Alright, so since I got such an overwhelming response to this, I'm willing to test the waters on Hamachi first, for about, let's say, a week, maybe more. We can see how things go, since it's home-hosted at the moment, it'll be sort-of like a stress test.

Hamachi details:
Network name: mc173server, mc173server2 (If first one is full)
Password: abc (for both)
IP: 25.128.235.226

Note that it might be a bit temperamental while I'm still testing stuff.

Let's see how this goes~
09/14/2014 5:41 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
Would love a beta server. What I don't really like is that anything below beta 1.8 has to be run in offline mode.

Oh and I'd love to make some plugins for a beta server
09/14/2014 5:31 am
Level 24 : Expert Ranger
SuperSwoosh
Sure, why not?- might as well give it a go, sounds fun.
09/14/2014 5:11 am
TrickshotCat
Man i so wanna join :c
09/13/2014 10:11 am
ExecutiveProton
CoolComixsOk, if you need any help with plugins, I used to run a server, I know how to hep if needed! Also will this server public or private?

Don't worry about that, I used to run a server too, that's how I have the bukkit build from back then backed up for me to use. :p
09/13/2014 10:07 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
This is a wonderful idea, however, you should remember that there was an exploit a while back where people could login as anybody. It was discovered in 1.3 (I think) so I'm not sure if it was there in 1.8; you need to do the research.
09/13/2014 10:06 am
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
ComixsYT
ExecutiveProton
CoolComixsI loved bata more than anything else, I owuld love to join, IP?

executiveprotonI'm going to be working on it privately (maybe with some friends). I'll give out the IP when the server is ready, which is not yet. Not by a long shot.

I made this post to see whether people were interested. The server isn't up yet.

Ok, if you need any help with plugins, I used to run a server, I know how to hep if needed! Also will this server public or private?
09/13/2014 9:53 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Use [simg] tags so images can fit
09/13/2014 9:49 am
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
ComixsYT
I loved bata more than anything else, I owuld love to join, IP?
09/13/2014 9:52 am
ExecutiveProton
executiveprotonI'm going to be working on it privately (maybe with some friends). I'll give out the IP when the server is ready, which is not yet. Not by a long shot.

I made this post to see whether people were interested. The server isn't up yet.
09/13/2014 9:47 am
Level 40 : Master Droid
Scott
Looks Cool went to my /.minecraft folder, I used to keep Old Jars when new updates came out, found beta 1.7.3 LOL!
09/13/2014 9:48 am
ExecutiveProton
You can just change the version in the launcher now, it's really cool. No need to keep you old jars anymore! I was just lucky that I backed up my bukkit jar. :p
09/13/2014 9:45 am
ExecutiveProton
sodex234
ExecutiveProton

Welp, it looks like I've got things chugging along nicely. Bukkit is working with plugins too! I'll be working on it then! Keep the discussions coming, though. I still want to see what other people think. :3

Epic IP??

I'm going to be working on it privately (maybe with some friends). I'll give out the IP when the server is ready, which is not yet. Not by a long shot.
09/13/2014 9:42 am
Scott
ExecutiveProton

Welp, it looks like I've got things chugging along nicely. Bukkit is working with plugins too! I'll be working on it then! Keep the discussions coming, though. I still want to see what other people think. :3

Epic IP??
09/13/2014 9:41 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
VenomSniper
sounds pretty cool,flashbackcraft perhaps?
09/13/2014 9:39 am
Level 45 : Master Necromancer
samus0374
Sure, make sure to post the server here on pmc so it shows up in my subscriber feed
09/13/2014 9:38 am
ExecutiveProton

09/13/2014 9:33 am
Scott
I would LOVE that!
- I remember those days, Better World Gen Ect.
If you set it up i would love to play!
Sodex
09/13/2014 9:28 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
I want to play on it if you ever open it. If you do, make it semi-vanilla.
09/13/2014 9:32 am
ExecutiveProton
I was thinking of taking a factions approach, but that being the limit of the modifications. I feel that factions only really enhances vanilla, but still keeping it 'semi-vanilla', as you said. I don't want any crazy MCMMO stuff, that's for sure.
09/13/2014 9:12 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Modder
Eria8
Depends on if it's modded or not O.o
'Cause Vanilla 1.7.3 doesn't have half the content the current version does.
A 1.7.10 server with the Better World Generation 4 mod on Beta settings seems like a much better idea in my opinion :I
09/13/2014 9:15 am
ExecutiveProton
executiveprotonI have all of the resources I need for setting up a Beta 1.7.3 server that's on par with current, updated servers, as I kept backups of old plugins etc. from back then,

I have bukkit builds and plugins from back then backed up, I can use that, though the only plugins I'd use would be administrative.
I don't want to mod it, though. I personally prefer the beta world generation to what we have currently. I mean, that's kind of the point. it's a nostalgia trip more than anything.
09/13/2014 8:59 am
Level 25 : Expert Nerd
Bobbinz
I would love that. Now stop asking silly questions. make the server
09/13/2014 9:05 am
ExecutiveProton
My concern was whether people would be willing to switch launcher profiles every time they want to join my server, and how many people would actually want to regularly play. Of course I want it, and a lot of other people want it ~ ^_^

Minecraft's community is rooted at the point that it is right now, and people would be reluctant to join a server that is technically a step backwards. That was my main concern.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome