Minecraft Community Split because of fast updates?

Sireastbound's Avatar Sireastbound12/11/16 10:24 am
1 emeralds 402 8
12/11/2016 12:52 pm
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
I have been wondering for a while. What could be one of the reasons the minecraft community is in decline besides the game just getting old.

I have been thinking about this for a while. And this problem occured to me when
I was making myself a prototype server for what would be my ideal server to play on.
What I am about to write is not fact its just my subjective perception of why I think the minecraft community has gotten very divided. But maybe it is no problem at all.

What I notice ever since 1.9 came out a huge player base stuck to 1.8 and still are.
Now 1.10 is out and hardly a few months later 1.11 came out wich also sounds like a pain for servers when they have to update or make it compatible.

Now you have servers wich are 1.8, 1.9, 1.10 and 1.11

And that while a huge amount of players have hardly moved on from 1.8 still.
The server I played on finaly just moved over from 1.8 to 1.10 just for 1.11 to be released 1 month later.

I don't really mind new updates. Some of the changes I like and some I don't.
But does any of you also think that mojang has been releasing new updates too fast for the online community to get used to it?
Because its not like a steam game where a new update automaticly apply's for the entire community.
Sireastbound
Level 25 : Expert Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/11/2016 12:29 pm
Sireastbound
Hi everybody thanks for all you're responses.
And for the interresting information.
Yes I think pvp is the main reason people stick in 1.8
Thats why in the map ive been playing around I added a plugin that
disables the 1.9 cool down but still allows me to use shields.
12/11/2016 12:08 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Server wise it's an absolute bloody mess. It pains me to see 1.8 around when a 1.8 PVP plugin's been released for those who insist, and considering post 1.8 is more secure....

People still on 1.9 are weird. I've seen a couple of them out and all I can ask is "why". I'd even take a 1.8 server over a version that has no point for continued usage in light of 1.10 and 1.11.

1.10 I found just fine, but at this point it's getting obsolete when 1.11 does the same... yet more. It would be nice if Mojang didn't keep twisting the knife, though. I'm rather tired of having 2-3 tabs open just to see what a single server is because someone decided to not put in a version...
12/11/2016 12:31 pm
Sireastbound
Yes this is kinda what I meant.
If I'd ever start my own dedicated server I would not know what version to go with.
12/11/2016 12:52 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I'd probably go with 1.11. The real contenders are 1.11 and 1.8, as 1.11 expands on 1.10 and 1.9. I only leave 1.8 in the running because it is in the running for server usage, even though I consider it invalid.
12/11/2016 11:37 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
ChampagneJ
This has pretty much always happened, but yeah, the latest updates are fairly controversial, a bit of a sign on how the community is ageing. There was never as much backlash, but people did use 1.6 a lot, even when 1.7 was out, simply because of mods. When 1.8 was out I still used 1.7 most of the time, because of metadatas. Now I have moved on, currently using 1.10 because of mods. But people who refuse to use 1.9 - onwards are silly, they can simply find a server that reverts to the old combat system if they hate it that much. My factions server reverts to it, my upcoming towny server doesn't.

Anyway, my point behind this is that Minecraft is being changed a lot lately. With huge updates like the combat update not just adding new things but majorly changing old mechanics. It shows the direction Minecraft is taking in the future, and huge overhauls could be expected. Even though there was so much backlash, Mojang still pushed out the update and haven't gone back on it.

Perhaps these vocal PVPers aren't Mojang's target audience. Who knows where this game will go soon.
12/11/2016 11:01 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
LatiodileI stick to where the mods are, and 1.7.10 has the most mods (including a bunch of 1.2.5 mods with that compatability thing)

I don't really care for servers

This
12/11/2016 10:42 am
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
Caporal Dxl
I like playing on the latest versions (if not playing modded, ofc.). I also kinda play on the XBox One. I have no problem with quick updates.
12/11/2016 10:31 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
I stick to where the mods are, and 1.7.10 has the most mods (including a bunch of 1.2.5 mods with that compatability thing)

I don't really care for servers

EDIT: this is what i'm talking about http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/2360685-intermediary-run-minecraft-1-2-5-mods-in-1-7-10
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome