Minecraft is a game, NOT an investment.

CascadianX's Avatar CascadianX2/1/15 5:08 pm
1 emeralds 1.8k 80
2/7/2015 9:23 pm
CAMBO321's Avatar CAMBO321
Minecraft is a Game, not an investment.

Too many times, have I seen people tear the fun away from this game. Today, searching for staff members to be apart of an awesome server is a hard thing to find. Builders are always asking for ransom amounts of money. I don't know what they expect from a ton of people that are from the ages 12-17 paying for $90 builds.

I've been on the search for some builders recently, to help around and have a good time. Meeting some new people and building up a server a new server for a player base of 4,000 users. I am fully capable of doing the builds myself, but that gets tiring at times when doing it by myself. My team of 10 people have been on the search for builders for 48 hours now. You'll be surprised when they find out how much money they want for small simple house builds.

I've had builders ask for $350 to make a 100x100 square kingdom. $350? It is pocket change to me, but seriously. I declined that offer and was rushed with another at $90 for 50x50. This is getting ridiculous.

Minecraft is more of a community game now and days, You are meant to have fun and play around on multiplayer servers, or play in singleplayer. Show off your creations, but when you start to make people pay for your creations, which they could get anywhere else. You are just running this game even more. People like this have caused a lot of ridiculous changes to the game. Take an example the Mojang EULA change. People making this game a micro transaction game ruining the game even further. No one follows the EULA still to this day, even though they agree to it.

Then you get the people, who are 19-22 years old. Sitting here building a server with there small life savings, going way beyond a gaming environment trying to bring in the business world through a Minecraft server, for young adults and children. Enforcing poloicies and business procedures like it is some sort of office job to work for a Minecraft Server?

Yet again people. Minecraft is a game, NOT an investment.
CascadianX
Level 44 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/01/2015 5:11 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Prince
FlameAV
I agree!
02/01/2015 5:13 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
Who cares, let people do what they want. It's nothing wrong, nobody's forcing you to buy their stuff etc.
02/01/2015 5:16 pm
CascadianX
This is what tears apart a game. People asking for money, some other people see that others are making money, and join in. It is a basic human thing now, they see a worth for them and go get some of for themselves to.

It is free dinner, they don't have to contribute much to it.

Take for example before the EULA change and after the EULA change. Bukkit is gone, and Minecraft Servers have drastically decreased.

Now they are asking for build jobs and etc, knowing that they can't make money off of premium services on the server.
02/01/2015 5:13 pm
CascadianX
Take for example, I own a giant 32GB RAM Server. I've had this hardware from other things outside of minecraft. I decided to turn it into a Minecraft Server to bring some fun MMO-RPG Experience. Also to improve my Java skills a bit, by creating plugins and advanced little things in the game without actually modding the game. Well this was quickly turned around when I had around ten people contact me on skype, saying they will do the work for me if I pay them.

Take in mind, I am not in this for the money. I am in this for the fun. I have enough money already.

Why does it have to go to the point, in which I wanna create something fun and people come along and ask for ransom amounts of money.
02/01/2015 5:20 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dolphin
smack17
SherwoodGamingMinecraft is a Game, not an investment.

Too many times, have I seen people tear the fun away from this game. Today, searching for staff members to be apart of an awesome server is a hard thing to find. Builders are always asking for ransom amounts of money. I don't know what they expect from a ton of people that are from the ages 12-17 paying for $90 builds.

I've been on the search for some builders recently, to help around and have a good time. Meeting some new people and building up a server a new server for a player base of 4,000 users. I am fully capable of doing the builds myself, but that gets tiring at times when doing it by myself. My team of 10 people have been on the search for builders for 48 hours now. You'll be surprised when they find out how much money they want for small simple house builds.

I've had builders ask for $350 to make a 100x100 square kingdom. $350? It is pocket change to me, but seriously. I declined that offer and was rushed with another at $90 for 50x50. This is getting ridiculous.

Minecraft is more of a community game now and days, You are meant to have fun and play around on multiplayer servers, or play in singleplayer. Show off your creations, but when you start to make people pay for your creations, which they could get anywhere else. You are just running this game even more. People like this have caused a lot of ridiculous changes to the game. Take an example the Mojang EULA change. People making this game a micro transaction game ruining the game even further. No one follows the EULA still to this day, even though they agree to it.

Then you get the people, who are 19-22 years old. Sitting here building a server with there small life savings, going way beyond a gaming environment trying to bring in the business world through a Minecraft server, for young adults and children. Enforcing poloicies and business procedures like it is some sort of office job to work for a Minecraft Server?

Yet again people. Minecraft is a game, NOT an investment.

I totally agree. People aren't making servers for fun anymore, just for profit :/ it sucks really.
02/01/2015 5:21 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Modder
WThieves
While I agree with you completely about it being ridiculous that people are asking money for some builds, I can't help but notice one thing.

You're making it very clear to us all that you have a lot of money, saying 350$ is pocket change, and you have enough money already, things like that.
If you say stuff like this to the people you ask for building, it's kinda obvious they'll try to ask you for ridiculous sums of cash, since most of us are not so fortunate.
02/01/2015 5:23 pm
CascadianX
I don't mention this before hand, or at all to them, I have my Head Administrator ask the questions, they come up with "We will do it" or "Lets do it", when it gets to showing them around the server, the sales pitch comes out.
02/01/2015 5:25 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
Latouth
Agreed.
02/01/2015 10:22 pm
YourLocalFloridian
^ this, but I'm sure you're an ok guy, op!

Paying for builds is definitely not my thing. This is a game meant for enjoyment and creative expression, not a money-making opportunity.donating to a server is fine and dandy, I'll never regret the $7.50 I spent in 2011, for a rank on a server I still enjoy to this day. A donation is a donation, in many cases it helps keep the server afloat. However, in others it gets annoying (please refer to the comment about the servers that you have to pay for minigames and what not on, sorry I forgot your name!).

Back to the topic,I have many good friends I enjoy building with.if I had to pay those friends, what fun would the game be? While we build we bond, when was the last time you bonded with the guy who works for your pay?
02/01/2015 5:26 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
If you people want money, GET A FREAKING JOB!
I don't care if it's mowing the lawn or working on Wall Street, it's still a job! Instead, you people sit on your butts all day playing Minecraft, and asking for money, when you could be working! God, the nerve of some people!
02/01/2015 5:29 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
for the server thing a lot of people cannot pay to host a server (me included) because it can get pretty pricey
i agree with kirito but it also depends on your age.... in a lot of places (if not all) you cannot get a job until 16 heck in my area you cannot have a lemonade stand without a permit XD
02/01/2015 5:33 pm
The Silver Paladin
Note, I said mow grass, shovel snow, ask parents to pay you!
Let me guess, you live in Illinois, land of messed up Bureaucratics?
02/01/2015 6:12 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
HOLY CRAP
you stalker.....
02/01/2015 6:14 pm
The Silver Paladin
No, I just live in Illinois too, so I understand.
02/01/2015 5:30 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pirate
CaptainSkittlesz
I agree with you at some points, but at the same time people make good builds that are actually worth money. Servers are how people make money too so so many points to me that you made are not that great.
02/01/2015 5:44 pm
CascadianX
Minecraft is a game, NOT an investment.
02/01/2015 5:42 pm
Level 27 : Expert Artist
JoaoPauloC100
Not to mention people who ask money for youtube banners or renders.
That aren't even that great.
02/01/2015 5:49 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
The only change made due to people like these is the EULA change, which was never really changed, just restated more clearly. You can't/shouldn't be allowed to make a profit off Minecraft as you weren't the one who created the game.

To rephrase "Minecraft is a game, not an investment"...
Minecraft is a game, not a money-making career.
02/01/2015 5:56 pm
CascadianX
Directly from the Mojang EULA

"So the one major rule is that (unless we specifically agree it – such as in brand and asset usage guidelines) you must not:"
"try to make money from anything we‘ve made; or"
"…and so that we are crystal clear, what we have made includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game. It also includes modified versions of a Game, part of it or anything else we‘ve made."

https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula
02/01/2015 5:54 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
I totally agree. $350 sounds ridiculous. I know it's sort of become its own art and people do commisions and stuff but I know people who'll offer actual artwork for $10 a piece. And I mean like full scenes. Maybe they're not professionals, but neither are builders. How long has Minecraft been around? Six years? That's not long enough for a 100x100 plot to cost $350.
02/01/2015 5:56 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Scribe
Yaminia
Completely agree.
It's annoying enough running a server. Owners shouldn't have to search high and low to find people willing to build. There are so many better ways to get money and trying to run people simply setting up servers $40-$100 is ridiculous.
02/01/2015 6:23 pm
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
I agree that it's a game but it also seems like you were the one going around looking to hire builders? So if you want to promote it not being like that then I don't know why you even know what kind of quotes for prices. If you grow a server naturally from within and encourage those with talent to build then you build at a pace where structures keep pace with the community's size and style. If you start looking outside or try to quickly make your server 4000 you'll run into all kinds of commercialization... but then don't complain if you want to take part of it. It's another thing or way people do things if/when they can, but if it doesn't work out for you or you don't like how/what they charge, don't go with that. MC isn't one thing or one way but people often times try to force a mindset about it if/when what they tried didn't work for them. If you don't like it being commercialized like that, don't take part in it. If you do take part in it, then those be the ropes. Get talented people on your server to build stuff then you won't have to pay for it. Treat people well, connect with them, and the community will thrive. Try to bring in cold, unfamiliar, antiseptic builds you buy from some people the players don't know/care about is going to most likely result in empty structures nobody cares about because like you say good builds can be gotten/done but talented people for free all over the place. The key is to have a server that attracts those kind of people and want them to stay, and that has a lot more to do with treatment by staff and the way the community is than about statements of how minecraft should be a certain thing. Cart before the horse kind of.
02/01/2015 6:37 pm
Level 27 : Expert Farmer
Teethdude
Over at The Phoenix, We have policies for the Staff to follow, but these are strictly based on how to behave and how to punish players appropriately. We never ask for "donations". You know, the kind that increase perks? That's all BS to us.
We even discourage donating just because you want to. You paid to play Minecraft once, that's the only payment you need to play here. I'll never understand why people attempt to make a business out of a video game like this, but I guess they'll always try to.
I also don't believe in the "Builder" rank. To me it's just so pointless. When I want something built, I'll shout out to my players or build it myself.
02/01/2015 6:39 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Prince
sssilver
I dunno, I don't think it's really worth it to pay actual money for an in-game build. If it's an economy server, if you really want to be paid, ask for in-game money. Minecraft is a game that after the initial purchase, you don't need to buy things with real money, and I don't think we should really try to profit off of things in the game.
02/01/2015 8:57 pm
CascadianX
I totally agree with this statement.
02/01/2015 6:42 pm
McJackson3180
SherwoodGaming
McJackson3180Who cares, let people do what they want. It's nothing wrong, nobody's forcing you to buy their stuff etc.

Plus, I was on your server the other day, you don't avid to the EULA Changes, you offer donations ranks, you get your donators, you make your money and you are happy.

Now for those who are just in it for the fun, and those who don't have money to win your server or what ever you do. They have to spend a lot more time sitting there to overcome someone who just bought their way to the top

You are a prime example of what is wrong with this game.

I have a 5 dollar donor rank to keep the server up, just like almost EVERY other server.
02/01/2015 6:43 pm
The Silver Paladin
McJackson3180
SherwoodGaming
McJackson3180Who cares, let people do what they want. It's nothing wrong, nobody's forcing you to buy their stuff etc.

Plus, I was on your server the other day, you don't avid to the EULA Changes, you offer donations ranks, you get your donators, you make your money and you are happy.

Now for those who are just in it for the fun, and those who don't have money to win your server or what ever you do. They have to spend a lot more time sitting there to overcome someone who just bought their way to the top

You are a prime example of what is wrong with this game.

I havea 5 dollar donor rank to keep the server up, just like almost EVERY other server.

Ahem? generalizing? That's a sinnin' *Ding*
EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool!
02/01/2015 6:47 pm
McJackson3180
[/quote]
EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool![/quote]
God I can't stand people like you, don't take everything so literally. When I say "just like every other server" I mean most, it's obvious that not all servers have a donation rank, but the truth is a majority of public servers do. Plus the donations on the server don't even go to me, it's to the other owner. We just use them to pay for the server, usually we throw in some of our own pocket money because we don't have enough donations. And also stop trying to act like such a 'smartallec', that just screams flame war.
02/01/2015 6:48 pm
Teethdude
Kirito Swordsman
I havea 5 dollar donor rank to keep the server up, just like almost EVERY other server.

EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool!

I'll help you with your search. The Phoenix. We don't even encourage players to donate, in fact we discourage it
02/01/2015 6:50 pm
McJackson3180
Teethdude
Kirito Swordsman

I'll help you with your search. The Phoenix. We don't even encourage players to donate, in fact we discourage it

Did you not read my reply at all?
02/01/2015 6:50 pm
The Silver Paladin
McJackson3180

EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool![/quote]
God I can't stand people like you, don't take everything so literally. When I say "just like every other server" I mean most, it's obvious that not all servers have a donation rank, but the truth is a majority of public servers do.[/quote]
God, I can't stand people like you who think humanity shouldn't have limits. So, you think people should not get jobs and just be lazy bums demanding people who might just be working their butts off to make ends meet, pay them? No! You make me sick!
02/01/2015 6:55 pm
McJackson3180
Kirito Swordsman
McJackson3180

God I can't stand people like you, don't take everything so literally. When I say "just like every other server" I mean most, it's obvious that not all servers have a donation rank, but the truth is a majority of public servers do.[/quote]
God, I can't stand people like you who think humanity shouldn't have limits. So, you think people should not get jobs and just be lazy bums demanding people who might just be working their butts off to make ends meet, pay them? No! You make me sick![/quote]
Some people just don't want to spend all their pocket money on a server. I can easily afford it, I pretty much just manage the server I run anyways, I'm not the one paying for it. But I pay when we don't have the donations to do it.
02/01/2015 6:57 pm
Teethdude
McJackson3180
Teethdude
Kirito Swordsman

Did you not read my reply at all?

Nope. but i did now
It appeared after i made my post. :3
02/01/2015 6:58 pm
McJackson3180

I'll help you with your search. The Phoenix. We don't even encourage players to donate, in fact we discourage it [/quote]
Did you not read my reply at all?[/quote]

Nope. but i did now
It appeared after i made my post. :3[/quote]
Oh alright, understandable.
02/01/2015 7:01 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ChrisDitfort
I guess you just need to work your creativity, and you'll be able to build yourself.
02/01/2015 8:52 pm
CascadianX
I do build myself, but doing it by myself is a pain in the . You probably get where I am coming from.

I've stuck to just doing it by myself with some of those who are willing to help.
02/01/2015 9:16 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
+PixelPirate+
I agree, and McJackson1380, calm your arse! I don't believe in "ranks" you have to pay for. I already payed 17 pounds for the game, I don't want to pay another 5 to have a little ULTRA thingy beside my name and access to a few more thing in the Hunger Games! What is this?

I can understand Minecraft videos, (not that I watch them) because you're not paying for them, it's free entertainment and all that, but all this stuff with server just makes me want to... I don't know... Move to Ireland! (That was a joke, please don't kill me, the stereotype of Irish people here is that you're stupid, but I know you're not)

I agree with you Sherwood!
02/01/2015 9:36 pm
McJackson3180
I'm being calm, just play on a server that doesn't sell stuff? You're not being forced to play on that server..
02/01/2015 9:47 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
stuuuuuuarrt
I completely disagree with this. If a builder is good, he should be paid. Why should a builder, build something amazing for your server and have it fail with in a month? You're paying for quality. $350 can be completely worth it if he is a good enough builder to make a detailed and eye catching spawn

If you like the server, you should donate and get some small cosmetic things. Servers cost a lot of money to run.
There are servers that make money, but not for profit. It goes towards the server, to upgrade it, get custom plugins, cooler features, better logos, and more.
Bottom line, I completely disagree with everything you said.
02/01/2015 9:55 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
I kinda agree with both sides on this.

on one hand, everyone seems to think money grows on trees. people rent a server and ask for donations to keep the server running. of course no one donates, so the server owners add perks to make donating worthwhile. sometimes that doesn't work out, and the server just becomes a financial drain on the owner, and thus eventually shuts down. shutting down leads to the rage of the remaining players yet still NO ONE wants to donate money.

on the other hand, i've seen some servers try to avoid the donation problem entirely by adding minigames and other things which you pay real money to play/use. I've even come across some servers that pretty much have little to nothing for players who Don't pay anything. Granted I do find servers like this annoying, but really when you think about it, it makes sense. big servers like this have policies & procedures just like a real business. some companies aren't all that different from MC servers. both have drama, both have politics. if the owner of the company/server decides to just quit and retire is there any sort of course of action planned so it doesn't have to be shut down? but again, i do find servers like this annoying because to me it feels like the server is just screaming at you "Pay me or GTFO". some server's i've found that they have like 2 ranks for non-donators then like 7-10 for donators based on how much they pay. typically these are the servers that i tend to avoid because, they are out to make a Profit, and not to just cover their expenses.

in the future, I can see big servers going away. as many people seem like they just don't want to pay for anything, and the rise of small poorly built servers being more and more common.
02/01/2015 9:58 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
If someone wants to charge to build something, I think that's perfectly okay. For $350, I'd expect something amazing that would wow everyone who visited my server. For $20, I'd expect something small. While greed exists everywhere, not just Minecraft, you also often pay for quality.

I'm okay with donor ranks too. As long as the server isn't selling items/gameplay-altering functions or commands, I'm okay with it. Have your hat and your cosmetic pet and colored name or whatever. It keeps the server running smoothly by helping pay the bills and doesn't affect how I play the game.
02/01/2015 10:14 pm
Level 24 : Expert Crafter
Ninvento
I feel like it's just greedy Minecraft's a game NOT a job
02/01/2015 10:20 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That doesn't mean that it's not a lot of work to build something that someone wants you to build. The same can be said for taking art or writing requests. Sometimes it's hard to do because it's someone else's idea and you aren't as invested in creatingit. That's what asking for payment is for.

I'd wager that you don't take any commissions otherwise I think you would understand.
02/01/2015 10:13 pm
Level 24 : Expert Crafter
Ninvento
I would love to join your team and I want to be paid $0.00 aka free
02/01/2015 10:24 pm
YourLocalFloridian
P.S in conclusion, if you want to pay somebody for a build, more power to you! But the best builds are those you have fun making, especially with friends!
02/01/2015 10:25 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
SickFlow29
...but when we ask for money, generally, its under $100 and then server owners go around and but up a $400 donor rank and there are as much as you may deny kids who will buy it. Also don't single out builders, have you seen how much devs charge?
02/01/2015 11:03 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
stuuuuuuarrt
Don't mention devs. They deserve every cent that they get, same with builders (As long as they are good)
02/01/2015 10:51 pm
YourLocalFloridian
SasukeUchiha2214
YourLocalFloridianP.S in conclusion, if you want to pay somebody for a build, more power to you! But the best builds are those you have fun making, especially with friends!

Yes. This.

Haha,I read my quote in the 'recent activity' box, and thought, 'ohhhhhh crap, what did I get into....' XD
02/01/2015 10:55 pm
CascadianX
Well, I've gotten a lot of helpful hands wanting to help recently, you dudes are pretty awesome. You know who you are.

I've been taking the building into my own hands and randoms just come in and help out. That there is a generous act, and I reward generosity
02/01/2015 11:03 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Blacksmith
roNiN_
Hey, could I help out?
What you described is exactly what I love to do and I hate to see people asking for money when they can be paid in good times and memories.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome