Should shaders be disqualified from contest photos?

StrakaVolt's Avatar StrakaVolt9/28/13 12:57 am
9/28/2013 3:28 pm
Matty__994's Avatar Matty__994
I know a lot of people have been participating in the roller coaster contest and I have seen some of the entries. A lot of the people who post their entry use shaders which make the creation look cooler than it really is. I think that its unfair to use shaders in the videos and pictures because it has an advantage to those who can't install mods like that. Texture packs aren't allowed so why aren't shaders? In my opinion shaders should not be allowed in contests. I admit, every time I see a crappy creation it looks way more legit and cooler with the shaders. But that may make an amazing default creation look overruled by this crappy one with better graphics... Not everyone can get or install shaders. It's a mod that some people can't figure out how to use. This is even more unfair because of how the audience likes the graphics of the photos, so they give it a diamond. Diamonds help your chances of becoming a contest finalist, so therefore, UNFAIR!!! I'm not complaining i'm just making a point, who else can agree with me?
StrakaVolt
Level 45 : Master Nether Knight

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/28/2013 3:28 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Hunter
Matty__994
Because this is supposed to be an equal competition, not an advantage for those with decent pc's.

Anyway, I suggested having a limit on the shader photo's (like the photo-edit rule), so you can still use them for the front image, but people will also get to see the real map without them.
09/28/2013 3:05 pm
Matty__994
SOME PEOPLE CANNOT AFFORD COMPUTERS THAT CAN RUN SHADERS..

(however I don't want them banned since they look nice, just make a limit of one shader photo per entry)
09/28/2013 3:12 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Skinner
DiamondzFTW
Then that is their problem, Why should the people who cant get shaders disadvantage the ones who can?
09/28/2013 3:08 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
You can use a program called "Chunky"
BTW, the contest isn't won by the pictures, it's won by the map
09/28/2013 3:07 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
aman207
Then that is their problem.
09/28/2013 12:19 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Kitten
Seabro
In my opinion i think that shaders show that the person has put a lot of effort into the map. people should feel free to use shaders because it incourages a less rushed entry and a it means that they are proud of there work and want it to look the best that it can be.

on the flip side, i do admit that people who dont use shaders are at a disadvantage, however i think that the majority of PMCers realise that a shader has been used and will realise what it looks lik normally but the one thing that really annoys me is when people upload images of a tiny section of what there map is (a window or wall for example) and use and awesome shader and edit it a lot because it doesnt show how good there map is but shows how good the shader is - which might i add, isnt there work.
09/28/2013 11:59 am
Matty__994
I kinda agree, i would love to have shaders to make it look better, but i can't afford a good enough graphics card. This means anything i make will never look as good as something made with shaders. In my opinion i would have only one screenshot with shadermods rather than every one of them (like the %75 untouched rule)

But i dont see this happening
09/28/2013 11:51 am
Level 45 : Master Engineer
usa
It actually is unfair, you guys. Some people LITERALLY cannot install shaders. Even though my computer can handle it, it is not made for mac. the shaders mod, literally, will not work of you are on a Mac such as I am. It sucks, because I wish I could do shaders because without it, builds, even the best of them, looks totally plain and ugly without the shaders.
09/28/2013 11:50 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Skinner
DiamondzFTW
People who can install visual enhancements like GLSL Shaders are putting more effort and work into their art. Its an option weather you want to use it or not. If they don't know how to get shaders and it really bothers them then they can always learn? Besides the judges aren't even judging the photos, they are judging the actual WORLD. The world cant have Shaders Installed.. the only way the actual visual of the world would be shaders if the judges had the mod...
09/28/2013 11:39 am
Level 23 : Expert Hunter
iTz_Dipsy
I find shaders actually unfair (Yes, I use them, but just because EVERY good project uses them, and so you have MORE CHANCE to get more Diamonds). I think they should 'ban' shaders, and photoshopped pictures and video's on PMC.
09/28/2013 11:46 am
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
That's a really bad idea.

That's like suggesting Coca Cola shouldn't use the fancy font on their bottles because smaller business don't know how to do fancy font. If you don't know how to do something that could make your product/submission more appealing, learn to do it. Don't whine because you can't and take out your anger because they know more than you. Some people are talented with photoshop, so they use that ability to make their work look more presentable - don't stop them from doing that because you don't know how to do it.

(that wasn't aimed at you directly as I am aware you use shaders, but the people that agree with your suggestion)
09/28/2013 12:03 pm
Level 43 : Master Nether Knight
TheEvilKittyWizard
^This^
09/28/2013 11:44 am
Level 49 : Master Blob
icedragon926
How is it unfair? You can install shaders on your own.. And I think that it looks much better
09/28/2013 11:33 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
SoyMonkey
the shaders are to attract attention thats all the judges load the world without any shaders so it doesnt affect the results of the judges people use cinema 4d and shaders all the time but why shouldnt they be able to? they took the time to learn how to use them properly and they should be able to use them if someone who doesnt know how to use shaders has a problem with them they can just youtube how to install shaders it like literally super easy so i actually like it when they use shaders because lets face it default minecraft textures aren't that pretty XD
09/28/2013 11:26 am
Level 40 : Master Cake
aman207
I like how people put shaders in their pictures. It makes it look more professional.
09/28/2013 2:22 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
In my opinion, you have to shade yourself.
09/28/2013 1:12 am
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
Shaders only benefit the look of the actual pictures. The contest judges (if I recall correctly) actually judge on them actually looking at the map, the shaders only helps it initial impression and how it does in the eye of the public.
09/28/2013 1:24 am
Level 31 : Artisan Artist
goobersfussfuss
I agree,
09/28/2013 1:08 am
Level 31 : Artisan Artist
goobersfussfuss
I can agree to what you are saying but what they are trying to do is make their presentation of their map. In other words, it's totally fine because all the contest is asking is the map. The judges don't necessarily care weather or not the photo is shaded.
09/28/2013 1:05 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
LBUlises1
Shaders are an option, if you don't know how to install shaders you have a little less than a month to learn, before the contest ends.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome