A slightly annoying thing happened here...

kaliki90's Avatar kaliki901/13/17 6:23 pm
1/15/2017 8:49 am
Pepijn's Avatar Pepijn
Hello,

So something slightly annoying happened and I wanted to share it here.

I was just browsing through the texture pack list, and stumbled across the "Realistic Adventure" texture pack. I decided to leave polite comment offering some constructive criticism, which I did. I also happened to notice the most recent comment on that texture pack was someone asking a question because it wasn't working for them. Anyway, I left and a while later I came back to that page, only to notice that my comment was gone, and the other question from somebody else was also gone! I thought it must be a glitch, so I tried re-typing the comment. However, it turns out that they blocked me!

I decided to scroll through the comments, and noticed that they were ALL super short and SUPER overly positive comments, like "Amazing texture pack!!!" and "This is the best texture pack out there". Stuff like that. It became evident that the creator deletes and blocks anyone who says anything that's not directly support of their pack.

Now, I know this isn't strictly against the rules, but it just really rubs me the wrong way. Comment sections are meant as a place to offer advice or ask questions - so this just seems like a rude thing to do. And even worse, because they blocked me, I couldn't so much as PM them to ask them why they did it!

So this is my message to them or anyone else who does this - comment sections are not meant to be endless amounts of the same overly supportive comment repeated over and over again - they're meant to be a place for genuine discussion!

Anyway, that's all, thanks for reading.
kaliki90
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Pepijn
01/15/2017 8:49 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Azie
avronaHow about making some rule or feature against it?

I don't see why we would, in terms of making a rule against it. Just because I personally disagree with doing it doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to remove whatever they want from their own comment sections.

Weird that this doesn't apply to forum posts then.

I prefer blocking methods that remove the comment just for the blocker, while everyone else can see the comment just fine. In case of rule breaking comments, let people flag them (which is a planned feature) and let mods handle those.
Fureniku
01/14/2017 3:29 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
They're only damaging themselves. Not only are they ignoring anything they don't like and not improving their work - but deleting a comment also removes the XP you got from that comment. They're losing site XP by doing it.

GG to them.
Myyoyo
01/14/2017 3:22 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Wolf Whisperer
avronaHow about making some rule against it?

How do we know if someone break the rule? Removing commets doesn't left evidences.
avrona
01/14/2017 3:06 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
How about making some rule or feature against it?
Azie
01/14/2017 3:20 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
I don't see why we would, in terms of making a rule against it. Just because I personally disagree with doing it doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to remove whatever they want from their own comment sections.

Same for "features" against people doing that. Aside from the fact that I think it's a bad idea and unnecessarily restricts people and their ability to "moderate" their own comment sections to a degree, the simplest way I could see this working is with a black-list similar to our spam detector. False positives would become a thing for people deleting comments and I really think our time would be better spent elsewhere rather than slapping people on the wrist for deleting comments.
avrona
01/15/2017 6:44 am
Maybe a feature like flagging, where you could report when your comment is deleted for no reason.

But if people should be able to remove anything they want from their own comment sections, how about adding an option to remove forum posts from your forums?
Azie
01/14/2017 1:42 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
People should be able to remove comments and block whoever they want on their own submissions. Doesn't make it any more okay or mature to remove constructive criticism that's polite and well-meaning, but we can't stop people from doing so. You can't change people, so there's not much point in trying to get answers or convince people who are ready to do those things, imo.
DragonBlaze__
01/14/2017 1:37 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
People do have the right to do what they want with their posts and comments on their posts, though it may not seem right.
Presidente
01/14/2017 12:51 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
I think you can also rank with points, don't you?
Anxiety Opossum
01/13/2017 11:53 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Simply put - "That ain't right."
raidarr
01/13/2017 11:24 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
I don't care how good your content is, you're a narcissistic idiot if you exert the kind of behavior described in the OP.
avrona
01/13/2017 6:35 pm
They are kind of destroying their own work like that. It's like saying "what do your think?" and then only accepting answers with the same opinion as you. Although they are kind of punishing themselves already, there should be a rule about it, but with people being able to still moderate their comments sections.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome