What Makes a Server Succesful?

highway_01's Avatar highway_015/13/13 3:15 pm
5/13/2013 4:00 pm
Rayvolution's Avatar Rayvolution
Right, so i'm Oppening a server a Smp One With Bukkit and Ranks and So On we also Offer Protection For people's Build's so, what Suggestions do you guys have?
highway_01
Level 45 : Master Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/13/2013 4:00 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
Rayvolution
- Be a mature, well rounded, respectful level headed adult. (Or at least act like one)
- Don't cheat, for you, or anyone. Ever. No exceptions.
- Don't offer any perks what so ever for donations.
- or, don't offer donations at all!
- Don't just let any idiot in. Server size is meaningless. Only let in good well rounded mature players, their "leet build skills" are meaningless. You want good PEOPLE not good builders. (This is where nearly all kid-servers fail)
- Don't make a PVP server, those are retarded. Real players don't play on PVP servers. (I might be bias here)
- Gear your server for mature players. If you're not a mature player yourself, give up now.
- Read my server's rules, ethics and about us page. If you can't pull off what I have in my About Us page, don't bother. You'll just end up like all the other 50 million junk servers. ;)

For those that will flame me, deal with it. That's what it takes to make a good server. I've ran a very successful private server for 3 years, good luck finding any server on par with that anywhere on the internet. ;)

Search for "Mature Minecraft Server" and click on the first result, if you want to see what it takes to make a quality server. :D
05/13/2013 3:43 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
AwesomeKid2345
HammerCraftAs an owner of a very successful server, HammerCraft, there are a few things I can recommend.

1) Have good quality staff, but not too many.
2) Act professionally.
3) Have a website.
4) Take advantage of custom plugins. (I can hook you up with a few great devs if you'd like.)
5) Supply a good variety to your players.
6) Support a good community.

Hopefully that helps; best of luck!
- The HammerCraft Team

I agree with number 1,because you know you hired to much staff when there are more staff than there are slots on the server.
05/13/2013 3:42 pm
Level 48 : Master Pyro
HammerCraft
As an owner of a very successful server, HammerCraft, there are a few things I can recommend.

1) Have good, mature staff. (Also, not to many.)
2) Act professionally.
3) Have a website. (And update it consistently.)
4) Take advantage of custom plugins. (I can hook you up with a few great devs if you'd like.)
5) Supply a good variety to your players.
6) Support a good community.
7) Use a good host, or dedicated server so your server is lag free. (PM for help with this.)

Hopefully that helps; best of luck!
- The HammerCraft Team
05/13/2013 3:40 pm
AwesomeKid2345
Eco212
"[VIP]~AwEsOmEkId
I

That wasn't geared toawrds me right,thats the other awesomekid
05/13/2013 3:40 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
SpongyBacon
Eco212If you must add ANY donator ranks, add not many and they give you minimal perks. No-one likes servers where when you first spawn you're bombarded with
"[VIP]~AwEsOmEkId: Welcome!!!1"
"[VIP+]~l337h4x0r: omg lolol noob"
I would recommend having two donator ranks, one for $10 and the other for $25. Don't turn your server into a pretty much donator-only one....

This is bro, servers need money to run. Unless your planning on going home hosted (Don't) then you do not want to be paying out of your own pocket for a server to run. I'd recommend having 1-3 month long donator packages, simply because then your current donators will donate again, therefore raising more money for server costs and upgrades
05/13/2013 3:34 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Eco212If you must add ANY donator ranks, add not many and they give you minimal perks. No-one likes servers where when you first spawn you're bombarded with
"[VIP]~AwEsOmEkId: Welcome!!!1"
"[VIP+]~l337h4x0r: omg lolol noob"
I would recommend having two donator ranks, one for $10 and the other for $25. Don't turn your server into a pretty much donator-only one....

This as well
05/13/2013 3:33 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
To protect people's builds, using anything other than Grief Prevention is a waste of time.

It prevents block grief, blocks chat spam, login/logout spam, death spam, spawn camping (if you want PvP), lava/water grief, Creeper/TNT grief, and even automatically makes a claim for a player the first time they place a chest, and sends a link to a YouTube video that demonstrates how to claim, on the off chance that they were confused.

What makes it so much better? Well...

Hope I helped!
05/13/2013 3:21 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pokemon
Picklepark1
MrEpicCatRight, so i'm Oppening a server a Smp One With Bukkit and Ranks and So On we also Offer Protection For people's Build's so, what Suggestions do you guys have?

First off, what's the IP?

1. Do NOT advertise, as it pisses EVERYONE off.

2. Also, get good plugins and have a creative world, as well as survival, PVP, and factions.

3. Make a decent spawn, help people, but don't have too much drop parties, since it ruins the survival aspect.

4. Give good starter gear, like a set of iron armor, iron sword, iron pickaxe, bow, arrows, diamond axe, and diamond shovel, and finally, 64 steaks.
05/13/2013 3:19 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
World of Atlas
Use the search bar next time. what-makes-minecraft-server-good-t247899.html <-- That's 179 posts with suggestions for you.
05/13/2013 3:19 pm
Level 43 : Master Necromancer
Time_Official
u need 5 things in ur server
1. advertisement
2. respective staff
3. show ur players that u want them in ur server like offer them a starter items when they join offer them Vote4Diamonds
4. make contest and let them have fun and invite their friends
5. build cool spawn / shops / minigames , because all mc players like minigames and pvp and factions these stuff

Hope You Got Me

if u need anything about server pm me im hosting owner and co owner and developer in many servers
05/13/2013 3:53 pm
SacredKing
I had more in my old server then that. proffesional trained staff, no donations required. Nothing. Just asked to vote and invite friends. I have spend alot of hours making our custom biome map alive with npc's , settlements and dungeons. It was more then many servers have right now. And yet we didn't make it, because nobody came on.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome