What would people like to see in an SMP to keep them interested?forum

iijj22gg's Avatar iijj22gg9/26/22 11:44 am
10/10/2022 12:24 pm
iijj22gg's Avatar iijj22gg
I have a question for anyone who passes by:

What do you like to see in an SMP?

These days the classic SMP has been done so many times it has become stale, and it seems like people are much less interested in them.

I think that, with the right set of features, an SMP might still be appealing if they provide a unique and fresh experience.
iijj22gg
Level 25 : Expert Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

FutureDC
10/06/2022 12:31 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Steve
Well, they can make a SMP an rpg type.
got_the_goat
09/30/2022 8:17 am
Level 41 : Master Taco
I know it would be hard to find one, but a public, maybe whitlisted server of just a couple people, not know griefers, maybe a plugin with tpa. Thats always nice, I feel like with all the claiming plots stuff its really gotten out of hand. Also I like servers more when they dont have a fancy spawn, or maybe they do, but being able to interact with things makes it so much better.
iijj22gg
10/10/2022 12:11 pm
I understand that perfectly. I just don't understand how people just grind for economy status on SMPs. Players just come and go that way
Hatsune Blake
09/29/2022 8:37 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Fisherman
I think frequent, fun & engaging events are the way to go personally (if we're talking vanilla w/ light plugins).
Keeps players happy, and looking forward to the next event after the current one. It generates excitement amongst the playerbase!
Things like scavenger hunts, building contests, boat races, and other such things come to my mind.
iijj22gg
10/10/2022 12:12 pm
I like that. The events just have to be interesting enough that the players will want to play them
Numin
09/27/2022 2:15 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
A server would probably need its own plugin developer in order to adapt to the changing needs of its player base. I've been developing a server and adding custom features to it that you can't and won't find anywhere else... Because I made them... Lol
iijj22gg
09/27/2022 2:36 pm
Makes sense. Then the players will expect something new and are retained.
AllergenX
09/27/2022 1:51 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
If it isn't modded, a plugin like Slimefun would probably keep me on.
iijj22gg
09/27/2022 2:34 pm
Lol I think that's a bit much, but it seems pretty cool
Veillax
09/27/2022 1:47 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
history
Just plain old vanilla w/ a few extra QoL datapacks tbh, all of these other servers that have things like 'Prisons', 'Towny', 'MCMMO', 'Factions' and whatnot are just really boring after a while
iijj22gg
09/27/2022 2:37 pm
I agree, it seems like the way forward there is to grind, but it get's boring
Eligames2009
09/27/2022 1:25 pm
Level 40 : Master Dragon
I think a cool idea for a server smp would be that the server owner adds a new mod every month
iijj22gg
09/27/2022 2:39 pm
So you're talking modded? That would be interesting, but I'd think I'd speed that up a new mod every 2-3 weeks. Gives the players enough time to mess around with the new mod, then they get the new mod before they get bored
Cervvius Maximus
09/27/2022 2:31 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Crafter
I have not played in about 10 years but from kind of a business style background, maybe you can make up a few lists to allow a voting on.

{example}

1: Themes

a-Mideval
b-modern

c-unbenounced

d-Egyption

2:Names

a-

b-

c-

3:Base Plugins

a-Towny

b-mcmmo

c-deadlybossmobs

d-Factions

4:ranks for chat

"you can type in color code options"

This stuff might kind of help to narrow down the answers you seek. I know its a little irrelevant to what you're asking but its where your post led my brain. I think when I hear SMP I feel their should be a lot of community objectives such as build projects, wars, maybe get a team of people on to make a little lore story to fit your server. Simple things you can do to sway the common interest and experience on the server without adding tons of mods and stuff. Don't make it a pay to win but let players vote on discord every month for a new mob or item to come into the game, or designate a team of players to constantly revamp things for holidays and special events that can also be selected and voted for by the players on the server.

In all games from Ark, to world of warcraft to many other games this is what keeps those games player base up. The same should apply to any form of Smp style server.. In my opinion!
iijj22gg
09/27/2022 3:59 am
WOOOOW!!!

I looked at your profile, you haven't done anything on this website for 10 years. What made you come back and reply to this thread?

And if you haven't played for ten years, how do you know all this more modern server stuff?

Your ideas are pretty cool though, interesting
Cervvius Maximus
10/03/2022 10:55 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Crafter
I came back with the intention of catching up to date on all things mc, ive only been able to explore a handful of servers so my opinion may be a bit out of left field. I replied to the post because at the time of, I was and still am doing research on how servers survive and stuff XD.
iijj22gg
10/10/2022 12:15 pm
Only part of it sounded like it was from left field, the rest sounded pretty relevant. I like the idea actually
JaydePosts
09/26/2022 5:38 pm
Level 24 : Expert Cookie
Resourcepacks, although little mods would be neat, like Voice Proxy, and UNSCRIPTED Smps, (Although some arent scripted) There are too many that are scripted these days with no real reaction *cough*DoniBobes*cough*
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 11:11 pm
Yeah, supporting client side mods and voice chat seems like a good idea.

Scripted SMPs... I don't like them either. They're overdramatic.

But why resource packs? Can you elaborate further?
JaydePosts
09/29/2022 6:03 pm
Level 24 : Expert Cookie
Resourcepacks can be way more than just textures! People can have 3D Blocks, or even combined with server plugins, it could add fuctionality to renamed items. I would believe people would find it interesting if people used functional like plugins in their work. Such as like the ArtMap plugin where it has easels and such form vanilla coding. Back to the resourcepacks, could possibly add some weapons with different stats to show different weapon styles others would choose, showing people that they don't have to go with the vanilla sword/axe/shield combo
iijj22gg
10/10/2022 12:24 pm
Oh yeah, have you heard of Origin Realms? They do really cool stuff with resource packs. If I had some good ideas I could possibly give an SMP a modded feel, given I have a lot of time to set it up.
DieguisTron
09/26/2022 3:35 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
texture packs or mods i think so
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 3:51 pm
Yeah... I'm not sure what happened to plain old vanilla Minecraft. People just don't play it too much anymore
Cubert_4x4
09/26/2022 11:39 pm
Level 27 : Expert Professor
/`````R.I.P.``````\

|Normal SMPs|

| 2011-2021 |

|"Just for Fun!"|

|_____------------_|
MyZia
09/26/2022 1:28 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Network
I've created (and sold) several successful SMP servers.

What people like is something unique.

Unique doesnt mean flashy colors and a theme.

People want something they've never seen before, and something that will be there for a while.

That's why I created two servers for my network, a Vanilla server, and a Modded server.

People who like vanilla, play on it until they get bored, then go to modded, and vice versa.

There are too many servers that do the same exact thing, but with different names, and people wonder why they have ZERO players.

I hope this helps you.

TLDR: Stop copying other people and start something unique.
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 3:13 pm
Hmm... sounds pretty interesting. What if there was a sort of hybrid server? Like a server that you can connect with vanilla clients yet has a lot of modded feel to it. Does that sound unique?
MyZia
09/27/2022 7:50 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Network
That's your goal. The common public joins servers because they cannot create them.

So you have to think even simpler than that. Your server must be compatible with the simplicity.

Create custom resource packs, models, mods, etc.
Elizabuzz6622
09/26/2022 1:20 pm
Level 28 : Expert Princess
Like the other person said, I think just custom content in general. Mythic Mobs and MMO items/ even the core are great plugins with a lot of customization, with MMOitems allowing detailed custom item creation in game (only allowing permitted players to create items). It's pretty cool, maybe you've heard of it before. Also if you haven't heard of this, look into the Model Engine plugin, it can take custom mobs to the next level.

But Minecraft servers definitely do better with custom content, and things that allow for cooperation/competition. Maybe you could do like Guild wars or something??

The coolest thing (IMO) Would be SMP raid bosses that show up at certain build-protected locations throughout the world, that drop exclusive loot for each player involved. Like a Kraken in a "whirlpool esque" Location in the center of the largest ocean your map has. Or a Giant Dragon that only appears in a clearly scorched field/forest. You could have them be advertised events for players to come together against a common enemy.

anyway I hope that's interesting and maybe inspires a cool idea for you lol. It's really fun to have a little community!!

Also everything said here is pretty much just my opinion, if that wasn't already obvious lol
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 3:11 pm
Sounds interesting. Yeah, I have some experience with those plugins from a large server I was a resource pack developer on. It's pretty cool, although it can be a little janky.
Elizabuzz6622
09/26/2022 3:23 pm
Ahhhh okay I thought you were new, sorry. and yeaahhh I've been reading now that some recent versions are a bit buggy right now and the developers don't seem to have a ton of time. What a shame :(( It was certainly a cool concept to be able to do so much of the config in game, and update items globally on the fly if needed
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 3:56 pm
I haven't been speaking of recent versions. On low-end hardware and a slow internet connection like I have, stuff like that is laggy and stuttery. Too much reliance on the server.

There's a lot of pros and cons here. Generally it's pretty cool though
Elizabuzz6622
09/26/2022 4:02 pm
Ahhh okay sorry that sucks. Best of luck to you
logray
09/26/2022 1:12 pm
Level 45 : Master Lava Rider
tron lightcycle game. i've actually figured out how to do that, so if you want, I'll give you some tips.
logray
09/26/2022 1:12 pm
with command blocks I mean. like a hypixel game
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 3:07 pm
In an SMP?
logray
09/26/2022 5:23 pm
i mean like a hypixel minigame like bedwars. or do you mean you want the tutorial?
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 11:07 pm
SMP stands for survival multiplayer. You're saying you want minigames in standard survival mode?
logray
09/27/2022 11:02 am
maybe. i know that's what I'm planning for my server. And as far as I know, you can only have one server with Aternos, which I use. So it's totally up to you.
Omjshah
09/26/2022 12:31 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
history
Some things like custom mobs, compatibility, crossplay, which makes it different from other servers...
Also custom items ...
Are you a server dev?, I'm learning too...
You can contact me on discord - OJASisLive#9313
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 12:43 pm
You you like custom content oriented servers. Interesting.
Omjshah
09/26/2022 12:45 pm
yepp
Omjshah
09/26/2022 12:45 pm
and also, if you wanna make more players join the server, just make it cracked...
iijj22gg
09/26/2022 12:52 pm
Um... I don't think I want to do that. Dangerous
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome