Advice for modding with Forge API

JasonWebb's Avatar JasonWebb4/13/13 3:08 pm
1 emeralds 215 4
4/16/2013 11:22 am
JasonWebb's Avatar JasonWebb
Hi there everybody!
Well, I recently updated one of my mods (Better Gold Mod) to have a forge compatible version, that is, rewriting it for forge.
Forge is a very good API to work with if one wants to add new features, but what I want to do is modify the already existing ones. So for the past couple of days I have been trying very hard to modify the Gold tools and armor properties and finally managed.

My point, for anyone out there that has trouble modifying the pickaxe mining properties of vanilla minecraft, be sure to check out the ForgeHooks class (it resets certain tool values). And to modify armor stats of vanilla the only way I found was to modify the EnumArmorMaterial class and then remove the references to the ForgeHooks methods in EntityLiving and EntityPlayer.

Well, that's it. The thing is that it took me far longer than I expected to find this and I wanted to share with whoever is interested.
If you have done similar things to this another way, let me know because I'm interested
JasonWebb
Level 43 : Master Engineer