Server staff ranks.

Vigri's Avatar Vigri11/15/15 7:10 am
11/16/2015 2:25 am
Vigri's Avatar Vigri
Firstly, sorry for the vague topic title, I didn't know what to put so I put that down.

Okay, so basically what this thread is about, is that I was wondering if any other users apart from me thought that server ranks were cringeworthy when young Owners, or new Owners to the server community used them incorrectly.

People tend to call workers developers when all they do naturally is setting up plugins and configuring them. Which is not the actual name for them, that is the job for administrators, in my belief.

So, I was wondering if any of you found it cringeworthy when someone say, calls a plugin configuration worker, a developer?
Vigri
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/15/2015 8:37 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
JacZGaming
i think developer means plugin manager and creator
11/16/2015 2:24 am
Vigri
Exactly what I mean.
11/15/2015 9:06 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Credit: Google/Myself
Assuming we are speaking of developer in a programmer term, here is its synonym definition -

"pro·gram·mer
/ˈprōˌɡramər/
noun
noun: programmer; plural noun: programmers; noun: programer; plural noun: programers
a person who writes computer programs.
•a device that automatically controls the operation of something in accordance with a prescribed program.
"

Thus, they did not make the plugin configuration, just edit it. So no, people who "manage plugins" are not developers.
11/15/2015 8:32 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
KingofGrief
Too many server owners, not enough players
11/15/2015 8:38 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
JacZGaming
True
11/15/2015 5:03 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Mannke
I like simple Ranks.

Player - Basically everyone
Veteran - Players, who are playing since a long time or did render some meritous deeds. They can also be given access to something unique
VIP/Premium - if neccessary. They are like players, but mainly with more cosmetic stuff. They however shouldn't get what the Veterans do, as literally every player can donate 5 bucks, which may help the server, but feels kinda unfair for regular veterans.
Mods - Above the player. Answering questions and managing simple bans. Should get access to necessities like LogBlock and ofc /ban.
Admins - Highest rank. Impossible to achieve without a great application and long time activitiy.

Ranks I befind useless/garbage:
- Owner. Okay cool the server is yours. We get it. Most Admins are Owners anyways, making it just seem like wanting to be a special snowflake in a blizzard.
- Head-whatsoever. You simply don't need it.
- Co-whatsoever. Mostly regarded as some1 beneath some1 else, although it should mean equal.
- Supporter. Same job as moderator, as they both need essentially the same perms. Well maybe not /ban but at least /kick and /tempban.
11/15/2015 3:01 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
NerdyFlash
I hired a few staff members, one of them being an incredibly knowledgable individual who's knowledge parred mine.

A few weeks into being staff, all was going well, he started to ask for perms, ranks, etc.

I told him no, a few months later, he started doing it even more excessively. When the server closed down, I decided to make a new one months later.

Forgetting that he kept asking me and annoying me, I told him he was going to be mod!
Server is released, he comes on, starts doing it even more, more and more.

After giving him the perms he so desperately wanted, he asked to resign. I denied his resignation since I could. I then myself went and removed his rank from the server and notified him. He was happy, like what the heck?
11/16/2015 2:25 am
Vigri
That's weird, dude.
11/15/2015 11:10 am
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Yeah, a developer is not someone who sets up plugins. If the owner can't do that himself he shouldn't be running a server. A developer usually codes plugins for the server.

I also hate when the owner gets mad when there's no Co-Owner rank and all the Co-Owners have the [Owner] tag.

Having two separate ranks for Owner and Co-Owner is stupid, Co means "with", not beneath. They're the same rank. If you want people to think you're special since you're paying for it, make your tag [Host] and let the co-owners have [Owner]
11/15/2015 12:48 pm
Vigri
Actually, just to point out:

An Owner's job isn't to do basic configuration. He's supposed to get the server done, and successful. He needs to get, and put the money into it and find the staff he needs, as well as leading it, and being a great rolemodel.

An Owner isn't always an Administrator.
11/15/2015 11:12 am
ZachDevv
[CoOwner] or whatever should be a rank, as indicating they are an assistant. This lets people know they have the second highest rank in the server, but not as much power as the owner.
11/15/2015 12:51 pm
Vigri
^ this
11/15/2015 10:25 am
ZachDevv
I hate when anyone, even people who use things such as Drag and Drop program creators, that doesn't/can't program, calls themselves a developer. (Being one myself, that is)
11/15/2015 10:36 am
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
Duh ya i make da plugins with me drag n drop progrm creater.

Yeah, I hate when people call themselves developers when they either don't make plugins or they use really really simple creators that virtually do everything for you. It's like a desperate cry for attention or something, I don't fully understand why people do it.

'Hey lookit me I'm the head developer for my server'
11/15/2015 9:56 am
Level 24 : Expert Architect
KrisTheCrazie
Billeh, i did not offer you admin. Nor is my system stupid. They have different tasks which you are unaware of in which they are to complete.
11/15/2015 9:58 am
Vigri
Please do not make this thread into an argument. Opinions are opinions; respect that.
11/15/2015 9:52 am
Level 23 : Expert Fish
Tornado Shark
There's a server I really like, and the owner knows who to trust for staff, so the staff are great, but, his ranking system is kinda dumb. Almost all his staff are "admin" and 1 head admin, but they all hardly do anything, but just kinda get more permissions (which they don't use) he also offered to make me admin but I rejected his offer cause I don't like his ranking system. :I
11/15/2015 9:51 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
risha
It's always worth making a new server. In any situation (Minecraft or real life), if people stop making something, it'll die off when people get bored of what there is currently/what there is currently runs out.
11/15/2015 8:23 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
AdeptIdiot
I sort of agree. Because there are many, many servers I used to love to play on, but I've just lost interest in. So of course you should make more servers! If you know what your doing that is. But it's not always a good idea to make a server. I actually was playing on a server I really liked, but then 1 day I look on the server forums, and there's a poll, it's currently a survival server, but the poll asks if it needs changed to a selection of many other kinds of servers. I voted to keep it how it is, but so many people voted for factions, (which I can't play due to the in-ability to use the chat for personal safety reasons) so basically while I visit the forums occasionally, I have basically stopped playing.

The Moral? If you make a server, make sure you want to keep the server how it is. Because if you don't, not only will the server lose players, but the players, will lose the server they loved.
11/15/2015 9:57 am
Vigri
I agree.
11/15/2015 9:39 am
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
LastGhost
It`s always so amazing, to see that ever 5th person has his own server, which of course is super popular... Also it seems like every 2nd person had a rank on tons of other servers already... I also have a Server with my friends, but its private... Anyways, starting a new server is useless, for there are tons out there, and most of them will just disappear... Also a developer is someone who develops (as the name says), not configurates something (Thats the Configurator xD)
11/15/2015 9:42 am
Vigri
Administrator = "Configurator" (no such word)
Developer = Developers plugins and ideas to plugins.

If you know what you're doing, make a server. If not, fall in with the rest of the crowd.
11/15/2015 12:29 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
LastGhost
I made up Configurator btw
11/15/2015 9:26 am
risha
Probably best not to hand out staff ranks supermankyle. Talking from experience, you should only make people you trust staff.
11/15/2015 9:18 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Artist
supermankyle
MySonIsReal
supermankyleSparkzye wanna help with my server?

I can help if you'd like I've had 4 servers..

Sure im gonna give you a link for an application in half an hour
11/15/2015 8:39 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
MySonIsReal

I can help if you'd like I've had 4 servers..
11/15/2015 8:10 am
Vigri

Not interested. Sorry, Kyle.
11/15/2015 7:38 am
risha
For me/my server, a dev is a person who makes custom plugins for the server. All my admins/head admin/co owners config plugins, it's expected. Doesn't make them devs.

I only have one dev (who is also an admin), who is making a custom announce on join plugin for us.
11/15/2015 7:47 am
Vigri
Awesome man! That's also exactly how I do my administration base (I call it administration, as both ranks are basically plugin related.)

Yeah, I do that too. I find it irritating when people do not know the difference though.
11/15/2015 7:32 am
Vigri
MySonIsReal
SparkzyeFirstly, sorry for the vague topic title, I didn't know what to put so I put that down.

Okay, so basically what this thread is about, is that I was wondering if any other users apart from me thought that server ranks were cringeworthy when young Owners, or new Owners to the server community used them incorrectly.

People tend to call workers developers when all they do naturally is setting up plugins and configuring them. Which is not the actual name for them, that is the job for administrators, in my belief.

So, I was wondering if any of you found it cringeworthy when someone say, calls a plugin configuration worker, a developer?

Yes, on my other server this guy posted my server on a bunch of websites, I made him Head-Admin. Then he made him self owner. And on top on that he was muting players after I told him not to. So I banned him then un banned him, he never came back.

Haha, nice one!
11/15/2015 7:30 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
MySonIsReal
SparkzyeFirstly, sorry for the vague topic title, I didn't know what to put so I put that down.

Yes, on my other server this guy posted my server on a bunch of websites, I made him Head-Admin. Then he made him self owner. And on top on that he was muting players after I told him not to. So I banned him then un banned him, he never came back.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome