Blogging.

1UPMiner's Avatar 1UPMiner11/14/12 4:51 pm
11/14/2012 6:28 pm
Luis's Avatar Luis
REMEMBER I'M NOT SAYING GET RID OF BLOGGING JUST CHANGING IT
And remember to vote

There are now a total of 75'000 blogs and 485'000 skins, Blogging on Planetminecraft has only become popular in the last 6 to 5 months, PlanetMinecraft has been open for 21 months or so. My maths show that in another 2 years blogs will be just 30'000 less than skins were in the last 21 months. Which will be the second most popular section on this site. Now go have a look at the "Most recent blogs" and tell me that over half actually follow Submission Guidelines.
"Do not Upload:
Content you did not write/make yourself
Stuff that should be in the forums: Shops, questions, giveaways, subscriber celebrations, discussion, recruitment etc
Artwork that isn't PMC or Minecraft related.
Blacklists against players/users
Slander against another user, If you have a problem with a User or Moderator contact a(nother) Moderator.
Servers, Servers get posted in the Server section.
YouTube Channel Announcements
Submission Advertisements. That is what a submission description is for
No "Diamond If You Agree/think it's a good idea" posts
Don't provide links to snapshots/pre-releases, MCForums are the place for pre-releases/snapshots.

I saw 3 non rule breakers, but they weren't exactly intresting...
Now lets look at the skinning section.
Not bad a few plain ones, but only 2 rule breakers, the thing i'm trying to say is blogging is more corrupt than skinning also allot of blogs cause flame wars because of these "opinions".
Try not to think of me as shoving these in your face as I am just giving facts to back up my points, as you can do in the description.

One of the reasons blogging is just SO easy to get XP and fans is because people diamond and subscribe to people who give the most basic points ever.
E.g
To Survive In Minecraft
Do not dig down
When mining use your hands not your pickaxe
Do not fight near lava

This then gets 54 diamonds 730 views in a day, where as a skin would get...
33 diamonds 320 views in a day....
People would argue "Blogging has become a major part of Planetminecraft taking it away would make half of PMC's members leave" I'm not so sure it would have a Major affect and it would be much easier on the moderators if it were to be changed.

Discuss below.
1UPMiner
Level 58 : Grandmaster Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

the_soup
11/14/2012 6:13 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
Roxthesox
the_soupI don't have much of a desire to read the previous comments. In response to the title question, though, no, blogs don't need to be changed. The blogging section has clearly defined rules to stop spam and unrelated posting. The issue isn't that the rules are deficient, the issue is that no one follows the rules. If the rules were followed correctly, there wouldn't be these issues.

Well, time to prop up some red flags I suppose.

Please do. If people took the amount of effort they spend on ranting about blogs and used it instead to start reporting blogs that break the rules, there would be a lot less to rant about.
the_soup
11/14/2012 6:07 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
I don't have much of a desire to read the previous comments. In response to the title question, though, no, blogs don't need to be changed. The blogging section has clearly defined rules to stop spam and unrelated posting. The issue isn't that the rules are deficient, the issue is that no one follows the rules. If the rules were followed correctly, there wouldn't be these issues.
Luis
11/14/2012 6:28 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pokemon
Thankyou
candle_
11/14/2012 6:17 pm
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
Thanks. A lot of people have been saying blogs should be changed or removed recently, which discouraged me from writing any.
Tozzit
11/14/2012 6:02 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
Lol, i'd laugh if u posted this in blogs, anyway, I agree I think people are posting blogs to get popular not to actually do the thing that blogs are ment for.
SilverKytten
11/14/2012 5:56 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
Look, guys.. There are two things you can do about this issue:
• Whine about it more, like you are, already.
This wont help anything. Ever. Stop it.

• DO something about it.
Report threads/blogs/posts/comments/skins/projects/whatever that you feel have broken the rules. The button is RIGHT THERE. All you have to do, is click it, and then say why it needs to be taken down. It's simple, quick, and will actually produce something more than a thread filled with whines.
It's your job, to alert the moderators of things that are bad. Do you job, or stop crying, when nothing get's taken care of.
Luis
11/14/2012 5:55 pm
The main reason that I support blogging is that it give XP, while I don't really care about it as I'm not hugely interested in it and I'm not a blogger, but its incentive to others and we may stop other users giving some great blogs to the community. Also not as many people use the forums, including me
1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:49 pm
Roxthesox
1UPMinerSnip

I know I'm guilty of uploading a few, let's say "trashy" blogs like you've described, but now that you've actually brought it to my attention...

Blogging has become overly popular, and while some of the blogs are well written and so force, they aren't . . . relevant. Well I'm off to purge my account of tripe, be right back. And good job for bringing this up 1UP.

Hooray, now 700k to go....
The Diamond Creeper
11/14/2012 5:24 pm
Level 29 : Expert Narwhal
1UPMiner
Le Diamond CreeperI agree that some blogs get far too many views compared to what they deserve. But I think that blogs are an important part of PMC, in fact I think there are too many restrictions on them. I liked it when all art, sub specials and contests were allowed
I agree, but I do think that contests should be here. It's kind of spam when there's a blog like this: Title: Skin Contest. Desc: Make a horror skin.
That's it.
But for those blogs that actually have a description for their contest that's long, then I think that it should be allowed.

As for 1UpMiner's Opinion:
I disagree. Blogging, as Luis said, is a big part of PMC. It lets people specialize in their own turf. I personally suck at art, and programming as well. But I love writing, and it gives me a chance to do so.
I voted No.

I'm not saying Removed, i'm saying Changed, for the good.

Well, not regarding that, (though I do somewhat agree with you)

I think that skinning is also very corrupt. There are many stolen skins, as well as spam.
So many copies of PSY - Gangnam Style, and many spam posts such as, "thing" and "i dont nao anehmoar xD" that just have the outline Skincraft offers to skins, but they added 4 pixels for incorrectly made eyes.

Yes, blogging is somewhat corrupt, but I think that there are a lot of skins that are against the rules as well.
candle_
11/14/2012 5:23 pm
Well, it is unfortunate we have so many crap blogs. But honestly, you're overdoing it. A blog with 5 sentences will NEVER get that many diamonds. I usually spend around 2-3 hours on each and get eh? 10?
1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:43 pm
There is a blog on the reel now stating the most obvious minecraft facts known to man. And it has 60 diamonds.
1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:20 pm
Piano_Creeper
But some are definitely helpful
- LuisGoldacre

yes - i do agree with you, Luis, also to the first part that only a few of those many tutorials are helpful...

It should be in the forums
- 1UPMiner

have you ever compared the formatting possibilites of Forum posts & blogs?
If yes, you wouldn't wonder why most tutorials are written in the blog section...

The forums could be improved if they were not so busy cleaning up the blog section.
candle_
Well. Here's my say. If blogging is removed, bye bye PMC.
Cipher_Punk
11/14/2012 5:31 pm
Level 80 : Elite Grump
If that is truly how you feel, then I doubt your presence here will be missed.

Planet Minecraft is primarily a Minecraft resource sharing site. That is what draws members in, that is what drives us as a community, and what defines our site from other sites.

If you just want to write things, then you can do so on MCF, livejournal, blogger, etc.

You come to Planet Minecraft because it is the best place on the internet to share builds, skins, mods, and texture packs. The rest is not central to the site focus.
candle_
11/14/2012 5:42 pm
So are you saying no one cares about me here? Or am I missing your point like I almost always do with people?
The Diamond Creeper
Piano_Creeper
- LuisGoldacre

yes - i do agree with you, Luis, also to the first part that only a few of those many tutorials are helpful...

- 1UPMiner

If yes, you wouldn't wonder why most tutorials are written in the blog section...

Exactly.
1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:19 pm
Le Diamond CreeperI agree that some blogs get far too many views compared to what they deserve. But I think that blogs are an important part of PMC, in fact I think there are too many restrictions on them. I liked it when all art, sub specials and contests were allowed
I agree, but I do think that contests should be here. It's kind of spam when there's a blog like this: Title: Skin Contest. Desc: Make a horror skin.
That's it.
But for those blogs that actually have a description for their contest that's long, then I think that it should be allowed.

I disagree. Blogging, as Luis said, is a big part of PMC. It lets people specialize in their own turf. I personally suck at art, and programming as well. But I love writing, and it gives me a chance to do so.
I voted No.

I'm not saying Removed, i'm saying Changed, for the good.
Piano_Creeper
11/14/2012 5:18 pm
Level 48 : Master Architect
- LuisGoldacre

- 1UPMiner

CanIHazBlog
11/14/2012 5:15 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
I agree with just about everything here, including what Luis said.
SilverKytten
11/14/2012 5:13 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
Honestly, you're right. People don't follow the rules. But the moderators can't catch them all, and they're mostly focused on the forums, because that's where most stuff happens. If you feel a blog is breaking PMC's restrictions, then report it. That's what that little flag is for. If you don't report, the issue wont be taken care of.
Luis
11/14/2012 5:17 pm
The forum mods maybe, but not all of us even use the forums that much
1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:16 pm
There are 75'000 blogs over 30'000 are rule breaking and most of the rest are just
"to survive use a sword and kill creepers with a bow so they don't go Boom near you"
Luis
11/14/2012 5:07 pm
I agree that some blogs get far too many views compared to what they deserve. But I think that blogs are an important part of PMC, in fact I think there are too many restrictions on them. I liked it when all art, sub specials and contests were allowed
The Diamond Creeper
11/14/2012 5:16 pm
That's it.

I voted No.
1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:14 pm
The restrictions are good, also sub specials were just a way of going "i reached 10 subscribers and after this blog i will get 300 more and go 5 levels up" and then so on and so forth.
Piano_Creeper
11/14/2012 5:05 pm
Level 48 : Master Architect
What's your opinion towards tutorials?
they'Re blogs and they ARE helpful...
Even those blogs which shows a certain way of doing something are helpful...
Luis
11/14/2012 5:10 pm
Not all of them, some are just plain wrong... Like how to find diamonds or how to kill creepers, stuff we all know or could learn on MCWiki or google very easily

1UPMiner
11/14/2012 5:09 pm
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome