Is a Mac worth it?

Fokkusu's Avatar Fokkusu1/12/12 1:47 pm
1/13/2012 10:16 pm
mochabean's Avatar mochabean
Edit; I have a gaming pc, I'm looking for a laptop (Macbook) to do graphics! My desktop is for gaming.

I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but pandawaffles.

Anyway, I require a new PC. I say require, I mean, I want one and I have some money.
Anyway, since starting college I've taken an interest in graphics and such, for our actual graphics lesson we use iMacs. I talked to my mother about it. (All monies go through her) She told me to talk to my graphics teacher about Macs and whether it was worth getting one for experience and stuff.

I wouldn't mind the change, but the price is... yeah. Any help for this?
Why I should or shouldn't go for a Mac. (I'd still have my gaming PC, and I'd probably go for a Macbook.)

This'll probably cause a flame war, I hope it doesn't but still, any advice would be nice.
Fokkusu
Retired Moderator
Level 43 : Master Fox

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/13/2012 10:11 pm
Level 88 : Elite Boss
yokoolio

facepalm.jpg

• Running Windows on a PC takes up 24GB of storage space also. And that's only if you mindlessly install all the useless crap software that comes along with it.

• The third most powerful supercomputer in the world is composed entirely of Macs. The first and second are computers that run either Linux or proprietary OSes. Windows is nowhere in that equation.

• Remember the live-action King Kong from a few years back? Despite the bad plot, the entire movie was edited, composited, etc. exclusively on Macs.

• Daft Punk's live show, Alive 2007, ran entirely on Macs. Sound, lights, visuals, EVERYTHING, ran on Macs.

"Only art", eh? Think again...

Uh oh sounds like we got some apple employees here or something... That or you just really, really, really like Macs.

While I agree Windows in general has its problems, and Microsoft stuff isnt as sleek and streamlined as Apple stuff, the practicality of PC's are far superior.

I have a huge list of modern games that do not run off of Macs, and an even bigger list of internet utilities and applications that don't work on Macs either for various reasons. Maybe thats why there are no viruses for Macs hmm? Because its not compatible with a lot of things, most of them being good things.

However for artistic things I would recommend Mac if you have money to throw around, since they are generally more expensive than PC's, because generally Mac OS is made for easy navigation and simplistic control and has pretty good built in graphics design programs pre-installed, and I would think Macs are compatible with others as well so you should be able to do the same thing with a lot less hassle than on a PC. But really graphic or video design is all I would recommend it for, otherwise get a PC.
01/13/2012 10:06 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
zemagic
Posting from a Mac.

Too expensive, looking forward to getting a Windows.

DO NOT WANT.
01/13/2012 10:04 pm
psyco430404
If you just want something that will get you on the internet and be easy and secure to use a mac will suffice tho its going to be more expensive then a comparable PC. It is my opinion that, while the differences are few and far between, cross platform programs for both are better on window's (my opinion). Word and Office on Window's is much better, and in my use and experiences, the Adobe Suite on windows is better. I also feel that if you know what your doing either platform is equally secure because the best security is knowing not to get a virus in the first place.

As far as price go, hands down PC building FTW. you can match the hardware for much less and you know what it is your going to get because your the one building it. You can also build a PC to run any OS you want (be it OSX, Window's, or Linux/BSD)

As far as UI/Stability goes, i haven't enjoyed using a mac since the days of tiger, they've added to much Eye candy and UI cruft to the point of instability, i get the rainbow wheel of death way to often on the new OSX's. Window's i usually never have issues with, tho like with all computer OS's it does give me issues occasionally.

Its my opinion that Mac's and apple just have very good marketing and they can spread slight stretches on their products and get people to buy them. Window's is the most supported, but in the end because of the variety of hardware it gets shipped on, people tend to have issues.In the end its the same thing with a different set of issues, and i think that its ultimately your decision and that no matter what you already know what your going to get lol.

Regardless of what you choose enjoy your new computer.
01/13/2012 10:04 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
wolffy456
MACCSSSSS FTW
01/13/2012 9:58 pm
Level 49 : Master Ninja
codeninja
Bro you have to get a mac i have a imac 21.5" and it runs just pure awesome im a game designer, modder, film editor and my mac fulfills all my needs.
01/13/2012 9:54 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
CayceH
I say Mac is way better than PC, if the program is not available on mac anyways do you think it is very supportive and great?
01/13/2012 9:53 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Nerd
chulminkim
get an ASUS laptop they are perfect! but you need to but windows seperatly
01/13/2012 9:53 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
ginga_ninja99
i forgor how to start a discussion
01/13/2012 9:49 pm
ayylmao345
most mac's graphics can't run high end games on max graphic settings but if you want to play minecraft or something on medeum graphics or use photo editing software on it or whatever but as good as macs are you could probably get a better computer for the price.
01/13/2012 8:58 pm
Level 49 : Master Pixel Puncher
Beast
Macs have a very very very little chance of getting viruses, Most mac users dont even use virus protection.
01/13/2012 9:39 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
doid11
Ik, that's one thing I like about my old Mac, plus, I like macs, I never said I hated them, I actualy wish they could do a "cheaper" remake of the clam shell <3.
But, I believe macs are a bit expensive to me. I mean sure, they have great hardware, it's just that I'm not throwing 100 or maybe 200$ on a computer than will eventually slow down In 3 years. But, macs are very pretty,slick,cool computers. But they just aren't gaming computers. And yes, I am a hard core gamer, I'm getting an Alienware m15x, heard it runs minecraft at 200 fps
01/13/2012 9:51 pm
ayylmao345
Aleinware for the price you could get a better computer i mean even though it's a laptop my custum built desktop is 900$ and runs minecraft at 600FPS
01/13/2012 10:10 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
first, please edit for spelling
second, anyone that has a computer for gaming that runs any game at 600 fps had better be Michael Bay trying to turn it into a movie with lots of explosions cuz the human eye cant see that many FPS, i believe the best humans can achieve is 60 Fps though dont quote me on that number

on topic: id go with pc for price, theres no need to spend more money on something that works the same as something cheaper, hence why i buy generic at the grocery store
01/13/2012 7:40 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
tmad40blue
It's funny that the PC users' only argument is graphics.

Newsflash: most people in the world don't give a crap about having a graphics card that can water plants, rob banks, and eat babies.
01/13/2012 7:47 pm
Level 28 : Expert Princess
sackboy198
no if there was a grafics card that waters plants, robs banks and eats babies i'd be all over the news
01/13/2012 7:42 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Grump
tex12347
OMG tmad XD, anyway i say macs worth it Fokkusu just beacuase i have one :P
01/13/2012 6:58 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer
Mastercoco153
I use a mac and it work perfectly for games and graphics there is an app that u can get that allows u to run small .exe files and unarchive .rar files I love them.
01/13/2012 6:53 pm
Level 24 : Expert Explorer
Pownage
Fokkusu
GIRAFFESTOCK

For graphics design ( as said above ), Mac are good, but the only two good programs are GIMP and Seashore.

Photoshop and Illustrator?

I am currently learning how to use illustrator in high school. It is awesome, so far I have made a dinosaur that breathes fire.
01/13/2012 1:15 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
SondreHG
No.
01/13/2012 1:00 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Guard
esoomytefasgone
For the price you could get yourself a VERY Nice PC laptop that does all the same functions. I honestly dnt see the point of mac. There is nothing that makes it "Better" for graphics seeing as it can run all the same things as a PC.

Save your money for more important things.. like actual school expenses.
01/13/2012 12:49 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
Liberator99
Okay pretend you decide to drop over a $1000 on a mac while instead you could be using it on a PC. Hell no to every single person who said Macs have better graphics..... Any decent Pc will rape them. The new Macs dont even have independent gpu while you can get a PC with lets say a gtx 560m which kills. You all make me cry by how stupid you are............ If your looking for portability of a Macbook air get a Sony Vaio Z. If you are looking for the portability of a Macbook Pro get an Hp Envy!
01/13/2012 12:38 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Zean
I use a Mac, and I love it. Everything feels like more polished than on PC. Don’t hesitate, portable Mac are great!
01/13/2012 10:22 am
tmad40blue
This whole thread has turned into a fest of "Someone is WRONG on the Internet, I must spew uninformed crap".

The only way to know for yourself is to try one out. Go to your local Apple Store and say you're interested in getting a Mac, and want to try one out for a while. That's the best way to form YOUR OWN opinion about all this.
01/13/2012 10:24 am
Fokkusu
I don't have one close to me. xD
I use iMacs at college, I like them. (Minus the terrible mice my college stocks)
01/13/2012 10:20 am
Fokkusu
....I'm gunna change the first post to say I have a desktop and such >.<
01/13/2012 10:20 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Taco
Shadowraix
I would think Macs would be best for graphics and such. Just remember if you ever DO get into or find any games that you might want to play in the future you might not be able to play it. PCs are good all around. Graphics....Art....Pretty much anything i throw at my PC it takes it besides if it's one of those CPU intensive games. If you are just planning on using a computer just for graphics and such all around then a Mac is probably what you want. Also, PCs aren't horrible. Whoever says they have bad graphics well, that depends on your graphics card. You could play Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3 if your computer can take it and i'm sure their graphics aren't horrible. Until they develop new better games anyways. Also, i'm sure Minecraft works fine on Macs and PCs as well.
01/13/2012 10:17 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Mage
prismchan
The Mac is a very tempermental model of computer. It's not that good to use and the sensors and internal workings can get frayed and f'ed up very easily. Personally, I do not like such computers since I could drop that thing from 5 inches and it may break internalyor split open like an over expensive egg. I do like using Dell models or Alien wear simply because they are much more reliable. But, for the best results, get yourself a nice Desktop computer with a good resolution. It's much better and worth the money. Also, you can get your tower custom made and it'll be much better and better looking as well! Good luck with your computer finding, dear. Cheers! -Prism.
01/13/2012 10:15 am
tmad40blue
Notch plays Minecraft on a Mac.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8EN5GgH70[/youtube]

[/thread]
01/13/2012 10:13 am
Fokkusu
GIRAFFESTOCK

For graphics design ( as said above ), Mac are good, but the only two good programs are GIMP and Seashore.

Photoshop and Illustrator?
01/13/2012 10:05 am
Level 21 : Expert Network
Evans
Mac's are good if you want to do just graphics design. They aren't very good for playing games, even though you stated you had a gaming PC. I don't get why people are saying "they're horrible for gaming, so no" READ THE TOPIC. Okay, so if you want to use it for graphics design defiantly go for a Mac.
01/13/2012 10:02 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Taco
kacboy
If your going into graphic design get a Mac.
01/13/2012 9:57 am
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
fastbreezeminecraft
MAC IS WORTH IT!
01/13/2012 9:55 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
xSever
MAC IS TERRIBLE FOR MINECRAFT Trust me I am a Mac user and you cant look at seed of your world, look from 3rd person, or look at your location on the map, You cannot download most mods, use certain strategies to make servers. You Need To buy Apps. For Some mods You should use it as a door stop. I cannot wait to get a Lenovo or something because im sick of this thing
01/13/2012 9:59 am
Level 82 : Elite Architect
lynchyinc
are you smoking crack cocaine? everything you just said is completely wrong.

You hold the Fn button and F3 to see your seed and relevant data, Fn and F5 to look from 3rd person etc

servers are pretty much exactly the same using a reliable host as it would be when using windows.

Modloader works perfectly fine as well.

I advise you to do some research before spreading Bullcrap on the internets.
01/13/2012 10:05 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Narwhal
Giraffestock
Exactly, modloader is fine, if you know how. and FN key isn't even USED on some Imac's. Servers are nearly the same, if not exactly, there just made differently.
And you dont need to buy Apps, you can but disks as well, and PC need disks, i like the mac app store. And it works for all mods.

Get a mac if you'll do schoolwork/work, if you want a gaming comp, i would say maybe, but PC are naturally better.

01/13/2012 9:46 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Hammer ON
LutheryMac is good for studying, working with graphics and sometimes programmering. It's a good computer for collage, but very limited on programs. Some programs have no MAC versions, If you want gaming and unlimited programs and a computer nearly good for everything. Buy a PC, yup. Mac is not built for gaming.

/thread
01/13/2012 9:43 am
Level 21 : Expert Explorer
Luthery
You should get for your collage stuff. Mac is built for graphic designs and other. Not for gaming. Btw, Mac have almost never mac versions to programs. I prefer PC, because of everything have programs for it and you can change stuff easily on it and the main thing, G.A.M.I.N.G.

(Edited, because i didn't like my old post.)

P.S : I have got a MAC computer, but i only use it for school stuff.
01/13/2012 9:29 am
Level 24 : Expert Explorer
Pownage
Here is my opinion on this, being a mac owner I use my mac for mostly school work and graphic design. I think that PC's are better for Gaming and gaming speed, also the graphics of a game. But when it comes to real life and getting work done, a mac is very useful. I don't know why people look down at macs so much. I mean PC's and Macs are both computers! They are just meant to be used for different things. Hope this is helpful!
01/13/2012 9:15 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Hammer ON
no it's not

this is my computer, it's not a mac, and can run TF2, minecraft, alliance of valiant arms and spiral knights

without a single bit of lag
01/12/2012 10:56 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Engineer
MrThunderStick
pc's have crap graphics + cant hold 25 tb space or the comp will blow up
01/13/2012 9:14 am
Fokkusu
No, your wrong, just...urgh. A few other things I've noticed people are saying to get a new PC.

I have an amazing PC. Simplified specs; 8 gb of ram, Radeon HD 6870, 1 TB hard drive, 6 core CPU @ 4.0 gh/z

I was thinking of getting a Mac to use as a laptop and to work on, i.e for word processing, graphics, flash and such things. I have my desktop for gaming, I have no consoles, I am happy with my PC for gaming.

I will NEVER have an Alienware. I know Macs cost more, the reason i made this thread was to see if the advantages are worth it. I know I can run everything on my PC fine, but I would like a laptop to work on as well.
01/12/2012 10:53 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Engineer
MrThunderStick
dude mac no lag can get a 27 inch screen i have 25 tb memory and 1tb ram
01/12/2012 10:51 pm
tmad40blue
Y'all need to read words.

• VirtualBox is free, and it can emulate Windows 7. You do not need a USB drive to do this, I don't know where that idea came from. What it cannot do is legally emulate Mac OS X. You are breaking the law if you do so.

• "programs for editing and graphics"? Sounds like Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro to me, which are used by thousands of people in their respective professions.

• You can use .RAR files on a Mac perfectly fine. I've probably created and opened a few hundred on mine.

• Not even sure what "your cursor gets off" means. Not gonna tackle that one.

• I don't care to play overhyped video games at mind-boggling specs on a dinky little computer screen with unintuitive controls. If I want to play a game, I'm going to do it right and play it on a console (360 or PS3) that was BUILT for playing games, and do it in my home theater with a 120" projection screen and lifelike DolbyHD sound system. Truly immersive gameplay (for games like Crysis, Battlefield, etc.) is, in my mind, unachievable on a personal computer (Mac or PC.)

• Having a Mac or PC does not change your download speed. If you're going to (illegally) torrent files, the computer you have does not determine the speed of your Internet connection.

• All of those "make your PC run better" sites are crap. Most of them are probably silently installing spyware, etc. on your computer so that you HAVE to come back and use their product again.

• Sorry, but Alienware computers just look like big flashing-light toys to me... and their build quality is terrible. I've seen more than one have its screen, keyboard, etc. TOTALED by being dropped from about 3 or 4 feet. Mac laptops have anodized unibody aluminum enclosures that truly protect what's inside... and the HDD locks its heads when it senses sudden motion to save your data.
01/13/2012 11:17 am
notaspammer
OK, for the section tackling me, I'll have you know that I have been using Iobit for 3 years (ever since it came out) and even using the free version it made my desktop work like new, for a fact. As in real results. And the Alienware M18x Laptop that I got for Christmas has already been dropped as I tried to take it out of the box. No dents, scratches, or falls in performance, and seeing as how it was on the island in the middle of my kitchen about 5 feet up, I think you're just preferenced for Macs instead of PCs. And that's fine, but at least support something with valid reasoning or experience instead of hurling lies and opinions. Both sides have their ups and downs. In the end, it'll probably be interface and flexibility that's a deciding factor.
01/12/2012 10:42 pm
notaspammer
Statistically, Mac's just aren't worth it right now. Most of the programs made at all are for PCs, and just take a look at http://www.alienware.com. Now if that doesn't persuade you to get a nice gaming PC that runs like a friggin' console on steroids, I don't know what will. Also, if you think your old computer might prove useful but needs a tuneup, go to http://www.iobit.com and get yourself advaced systemcare. They have a free and a pro version, and both will make your old computer new. I recommend putting it on your PC either way. Learned that from Tryon on this site.
EDIT: Sorry for advertising 1,2, and 3 times on your post, but it's for good reason.
01/12/2012 10:37 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
lauraleblanc2
No i am running win 7 and vm virtaul box I run a ubuntu server with lamp on it off it
01/12/2012 10:42 pm
doid11
Oh, Cool. Did you have to buy seven? just wondering, But still, macs can be over priced.
01/12/2012 10:32 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
lauraleblanc2
Vm vitaul box is free
01/12/2012 10:34 pm
doid11
Yeah, but its windows XP, which isn't as cool as 7.
"Although, You can buy seven"
Plus, You need to buy a flash drive to use it.
01/12/2012 10:32 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pokemon
reece2004
mac is worth it if you have a iphone tho
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome