New PC help?

VeryMadCrafter's Avatar VeryMadCrafter3/2/14 3:07 pm
1 emeralds 1.2k 29
3/6/2014 11:45 am
PixelFox's Avatar PixelFox
Hey PMC!
Firstly, I'm not a gamer. My parents are finnaly buying me my own pc.
I don't need anything huge, just a cheap decent home pc.
So I was just wondering, which of these processors should I choose?
-Intel pentium
-Intel i3
-AMD quad core?
And what GPU would be the best out of these?
-Geforce gt 610 - 630
-Intel HD graphics 4000?
I'm going to play mostly minecraft and a bit of other games like GTA 4 or san andreas, need for speed any part, team fortress 2. And nothing more. You can recommend similar CPU or GPU but it must be as cheap.
Useful answers only!
Thanks in advance
VeryMadCrafter
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/06/2014 11:45 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Architect
PixelFox
i5 is good.
03/05/2014 12:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Eco212
You don't know what you're talking about... As well as personally knowing a lot of guys who've used AMD CPUs in their own builds, my family computer has an old Athlon 64 X2, and it's been running intensively for about 5 years. Again, if you're going to reply do some research. The Intel Pentium P6200 in my PC burnt out after like 2 years.

You keep pointing people out saying "you don't know what you're talking about" which makes me think you don't know what your talking about? As well, you're only listing one experience that you've had between AMD and Intel, so you haven't really tested both, as both computers in my house use Intel, and both of them have been running for years quite fine. While my dad's computer uses an AMD and it burnt out, while my Intels have not. But I'm also not saying which is better/worse, as I love AMD, just as much as Intel. They both have their pros/cons.
03/04/2014 11:26 pm
Killertoad
CodingBuckets
About graphics cards; who's using the mantle thing? AMD is, which gives games a boost in performance. Is Nvidia using it? No..

Mantle is open source, so if Nvidia wanted to use it, they could, but they are not, so that leads to me thinking, that they are working on something bigger/better. And only 5 games use mantle.... so that reason there is not a good choosing factor for a brand of a card.
03/04/2014 11:08 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
HunterDominic
Kaev
CodingBuckets
About graphics cards; who's using the mantle thing? AMD is, which gives games a boost in performance. Is Nvidia using it? No. I used a Intel core 4770 with air cooling, and it was in the hot zone. I used a Intel core 4770 with liquid cooling it was in the hot zone. I started using AMD CPUs, and it was in the cool zone, not that hot. I have an AMD CPU and graphics card reaching 500 fps! Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics card I used does a 100 fps - 300 fps difference and you can't see over 60 hertz on a 60 hertz monitor or TV.

Define hot zone. CPUs get hot, deal with it. I'm not a fan boy, but Intel is superior in terms of CPU performance, which is probably why you're reaching the 'Hot Zone'. I'm not going to say the same to GPUs, because AMD GPUs have an amazing price to performance ratio.
Assuming you're talking about Minecraft; 500 fps is easily reachable. Besides, Minecraft isn't considered a benchmark, the amount of people that do this. You can't see over 60 fps on a 60Hz monitor.

EDIT: Fixed your grammar. It's more easier to read now.

More easy.
03/04/2014 7:13 pm
Killertoad
Eco212 AMD, GTX 630. The GPU might not play those games on high settings.

Where did you get GTX 630 from? He listed a GT 610-630....those two cards are completely different....And the "GTX 630" would run all these games on high... At very playable frames. It sounds more like you don't know what you're talking about?
03/04/2014 7:12 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
pistonologist
i have i3 i run at 70 fps
03/04/2014 7:15 pm
Killertoad
I hope you're trolling, because just processor doesn't mean good frames....You also need a good video card...
03/04/2014 6:59 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
Kaev
CodingBuckets
About graphics cards; who's using the mantle thing? AMD is, which gives games a boost in performance. Is Nvidia using it? No. I used a Intel core 4770 with air cooling, and it was in the hot zone. I used a Intel core 4770 with liquid cooling it was in the hot zone. I started using AMD CPUs, and it was in the cool zone, not that hot. I have an AMD CPU and graphics card reaching 500 fps! Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics card I used does a 100 fps - 300 fps difference and you can't see over 60 hertz on a 60 hertz monitor or TV.

Define hot zone. CPUs get hot, deal with it. I'm not a fan boy, but Intel is superior in terms of CPU performance, which is probably why you're reaching the 'Hot Zone'. I'm not going to say the same to GPUs, because AMD GPUs have an amazing price to performance ratio.
Assuming you're talking about Minecraft; 500 fps is easily reachable. Besides, Minecraft isn't considered a benchmark, the amount of people that do this. You can't see over 60 fps on a 60Hz monitor.

EDIT: Fixed your grammar. It's more easier to read now.
03/04/2014 6:46 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
Adam
Woody239
Adam
VeryMadCrafterHey PMC!
-Intel pentium
-Intel i3
-AMD quad core?
-Geforce gt 610 - 630
-Intel HD graphics 4000?
I'm going to play mostly minecraft and a bit of other games like GTA 4 or san andreas, need for speed any part, team fortress 2. And nothing more. You can recommend similar CPU or GPU but it must be as cheap.
Useful answers only!
Thanks in advance

At what settings do you want to be able to play these games at? Pretty much any of those can be used to PLAY the games, you just won't be able to play some of them at Ultra or anything.

Also, GTAIV IS San Andreas, lol...

*ultra facepalm*
GTA IV is in Liberty City....
GTA San Andreas is in San Andreas.....

But Adam is right. It doesn't matter what you get, you'll be able to play it so long as there's enough space on your hard drive, you've got enough RAM, and you've got a supported OS. But from the looks of it, whatever is in your budget isn't enough to play them on ultra settings.

CleverUserName01I dont know many specs of my comp but its HP i4 processor and its windows 8 i can run dota 2 and LoL and minecraft it was 400$ but we got it bundled with a USB a mouse and some antivirus'

Did you say an i4? I've never heard of an i4.... Nor have I heard of HP making processors...

I haven't played any GTA in a while, pardon me.

But ye, there is only i3, i5, and i7, and every Intel Core Processor is made specifically by Intel.
03/04/2014 6:44 pm
CodingBuckets
HunterDominic
Eco212Eco coming in to save the day from the people who pretend to know what they're talking about, but clearly don't! I'm going to answer the OP's question first. AMD, GTX 630. The GPU might not play those games on high settings, but something like an FX 4100 will do you fine for CPU on those games. Don't listen to any idiotic fanboys claiming Intel and/or nVidia are any better than AMD/ATI. They both make the same type of products at the same quality, the difference is AMD makes cheaper stuff than Intel/nVidia at most markets, but when you're getting really high end (780s, i7 4770s), Intel and SOMETIMES nVidia take the lead for price/performance. Now, you didn't really specify a budget, but I would go for something like an FX 6300 and a 7770 for a higher up mid-end build. Please, no idiotic replies. If you're going to reply to this, look at a few benchmarks and prices before saying something.

And don't listen to the guy that thinks that he knows what he's talking about but doesn't. Really? Same quality? AMD burns out MUCH quicker. Theres one thing. Tell me if you need another.

about graphics cards whos using the mantle thing amd is witch gives games a boost in performance is nvidia using it no and i used a intel core 4770 with air cooling it was in the hot zone i used a intel core 4770 with liquid cooling it was in the hot zone and i started using amd cpu's it was in the cool zone not that hot i mean so ya and i have a amd cpu and graphics card 500 fps! intel cpu and nvidia graphics card i used does and 100 fps 300 fps difference and you cant see over 60 hertz on a 60 hertz monitor or tv
03/04/2014 6:02 pm
HunterDominic
Eco212Eco coming in to save the day from the people who pretend to know what they're talking about, but clearly don't! I'm going to answer the OP's question first. AMD, GTX 630. The GPU might not play those games on high settings, but something like an FX 4100 will do you fine for CPU on those games. Don't listen to any idiotic fanboys claiming Intel and/or nVidia are any better than AMD/ATI. They both make the same type of products at the same quality, the difference is AMD makes cheaper stuff than Intel/nVidia at most markets, but when you're getting really high end (780s, i7 4770s), Intel and SOMETIMES nVidia take the lead for price/performance. Now, you didn't really specify a budget, but I would go for something like an FX 6300 and a 7770 for a higher up mid-end build. Please, no idiotic replies. If you're going to reply to this, look at a few benchmarks and prices before saying something.

And don't listen to the guy that thinks that he knows what he's talking about but doesn't. Really? Same quality? AMD burns out MUCH quicker. Theres one thing. Tell me if you need another.
03/04/2014 10:48 am
Level 39 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
Intel Pentium is crap, so get an i-3
Do NOT get a Intel Graphics if your playing Minecraft.
03/02/2014 6:28 pm
Killertoad
The gt 630 will not play GTAIV at a steady FPS, let alone a playable FPS. You can't beat the 750 Ti. It's the best price/performance ratio for budget builds out right now. You're also not gonna get a cheap (good) AMD card, as I found out today, all their prices are highly inflated.
03/02/2014 6:11 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Exacierplaysmc
Oh Yeah your probably in america so i can't really tell you to get anything thats good for the price because of components here are less than components in america. but still go with an amd with a graphics card from nvidia instead of a single intel processor with integrated graphics. Having a seperate GPU from your processor is always going to be better. Unless of course its a higher end i5/i7 or an amd Apu like an A8 or A10.
if your budget was $500 for the pc and you have a screen or could find one really cheap here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/330Ks
03/02/2014 6:00 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Exacierplaysmc
If you want to actually get something good or better go with what i say because their are quite a few people saying stuff like don't use anything by amd or only go with intel or something just get an amd quad core with nvidia geforce 600 series graphics cards intel graphics can't compare to any real graphics card. AMD is best for cheapish gaming like how you can get a hexa core for £80 amd fx 6300 to beat the lower end I5's, I have a £400 computer, gtx 650 2gb gddr5, amd fx 6300, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive. It runs minecraft at 300fps. I build all my computer myself instead of wasting money on prebuilt pcs.
03/02/2014 5:54 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
KillertoadIf 530ish is your budget, then go with the nvidia steam machine. has a 750 ti, i3, 8 gb of ram. Very small, and is exactly $529.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides ... uild-guide

Runs bf4 at 45-50 frames at 1920-1080, on med-high. This is your best bet.

I might build that myself... xP
03/02/2014 5:50 pm
Killertoad
GTAIV is pretty recourse demanding....
03/02/2014 5:15 pm
Killertoad
CleverUserName01
Ehh i dont know much about my comp other than it can have severals games on it and surprisingly not be too laggy even though its not a gaming comp and also i meant to add a comma near HP and i4

Lol, there is no i4, and a processor isn't what makes a computer fast or not (although it does help..)
03/02/2014 5:07 pm
Killertoad
If 530ish is your budget, then go with the nvidia steam machine. has a 750 ti, i3, 8 gb of ram. Very small, and is exactly $529.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides ... uild-guide

Runs bf4 at 45-50 frames at 1920-1080, on med-high. This is your best bet.

EDIT: Also comes with shadowplay, the best game recorder
03/02/2014 4:12 pm
Level 29 : Expert Toast
CleverUserName01
Woody239
Adam
VeryMadCrafterHey PMC!
-Intel pentium
-Intel i3
-AMD quad core?
-Geforce gt 610 - 630
-Intel HD graphics 4000?
Useful answers only!
Thanks in advance

At what settings do you want to be able to play these games at? Pretty much any of those can be used to PLAY the games, you just won't be able to play some of them at Ultra or anything.

*ultra facepalm*

But Adam is right. It doesn't matter what you get, you'll be able to play it so long as there's enough space on your hard drive, you've got enough RAM, and you've got a supported OS. But from the looks of it, whatever is in your budget isn't enough to play them on ultra settings.

CleverUserName01I dont know many specs of my comp but its HP i4 processor and its windows 8 i can run dota 2 and LoL and minecraft it was 400$ but we got it bundled with a USB a mouse and some antivirus'

Did you say an i4? I've never heard of an i4.... Nor have I heard of HP making processors...

Ehh i dont know much about my comp other than it can have severals games on it and surprisingly not be too laggy even though its not a gaming comp and also i meant to add a comma near HP and i4
03/02/2014 3:52 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Adam
VeryMadCrafterHey PMC!
-Intel pentium
-Intel i3
-AMD quad core?
-Geforce gt 610 - 630
-Intel HD graphics 4000?
Useful answers only!
Thanks in advance

*ultra facepalm*

03/02/2014 3:49 pm
Level 29 : Expert Toast
CleverUserName01
I dont know many specs of my comp but its HP i4 processor and its windows 8 i can run dota 2 and LoL and minecraft it was 400$ but we got it bundled with a USB a mouse and some antivirus'
03/02/2014 3:44 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
Adam
VeryMadCrafterHey PMC!
-Intel pentium
-Intel i3
-AMD quad core?
-Geforce gt 610 - 630
-Intel HD graphics 4000?
Useful answers only!
Thanks in advance

03/02/2014 3:39 pm
HunterDominic
No. Just no. What's your budget? Go with a GeForce graphics card and.... No. Not intel pentium. Not i3. And don't use anything made by AMD. Go with an i5 or i7.
03/02/2014 5:31 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
He said it was mainly going to be used for a home computer, and that from what he said, he isn't going to be playing anything intense. I can run all the games he mentioned on my i3 laptop EASILY, and do every day. Integrated graphics card too.
03/04/2014 10:27 am
HunterDominic
You want to get decent frame rates? Turbo boost? I mean.... Really. Integrated graphics>Not the best option. Core i3>Not the best option. On those I didn't just mean "Not the best" as in you need to get a crazy Nvidia Titan and a 6-core i7 or something. Just.... Those aren't very good options for Battlefield 3 or TF2.
03/02/2014 5:19 pm
CodingBuckets
*facepalm* your a fanboy of intel
03/04/2014 10:23 am
HunterDominic
And what if I am? Intel is far superior to AMD especially when it comes to gaming.
03/02/2014 3:14 pm
Level 24 : Expert Toast
nolez15
The i3 would be ridiculously underpowered for any decent gaming, I'll tell you that.

As far as a GPU, I'd go with the Geforce 600 series, that should be pretty decent.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome