Blacklisting Players on PMC

queketth's Avatar queketth9/9/13 6:18 am
9/9/2013 8:43 am
queketth's Avatar queketth
I currently have a 1 day ban from editing my submissions and commenting on things etc. The reason for this ban is that I wrote a comment on the 'Update your server post' which 'blacklisted' two players. This is not something that I normally do however I was so enraged by the language they used around my youngest players and destroying anything in their sight as well as attempting to destroy spawn. Plus the fact that they spoofed my account I felt it necessary for other players to be aware of their actions and protect their own sever accordingly.

I have since looked into their usernames and have realised they are banned from multiple servers for similar actions.

I really feel it is necessary occasionally to help each other and protect our servers by knowing the names of offenders like these. I was only trying to help others out (these people have never played or in anyway affiliated with my server they just hack it for fun).

I only have 9 hours left on the ban so its not the end of the world however do feel as if this was treated perhaps slightly harshly!
queketth
Level 32 : Artisan Geek

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/09/2013 8:43 am
queketth
Cipher_Punk
For future reference, all bans should be automatically coupled with a PM from the banning user identifying the post or submission that violated the rules. If you did not receive one, then I'll have to get back with Paril about that and see what is going wrong with the system.

I dont believe that I received anything I have just checked my messages again and cant see anything along these lines. I only noticed when I went on my submission and was unable to edit and then visit the chat...

Many thanks for taking care of it for me
09/09/2013 8:30 am
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
queketthy 7 hours left of my ban are a slow and tiresome considering I was only attempting to help others from getting as disheartened as I am. On that matter how do I find out who issued my ban as I wish to contact them to see if they will give me some form of relief as my 'sins' where done with the best of intentions and not malicious.

You seem like a reasonable fellow. I took care of it.

For future reference, all bans should be automatically coupled with a PM from the banning user identifying the post or submission that violated the rules. If you did not receive one, then I'll have to get back with Paril about that and see what is going wrong with the system.

Generally speaking, I hate getting reply PM's from banned users. They're usually full of vulgarity, show a blatant lack of maturity or regard for our community rules, or even death threats.

It is rare indeed to get a reply back from a user who understands that they have legitimately made a mistake. Those ones I am much more likely to forgive.
09/09/2013 8:09 am
queketth
Cipher_PunkThere is simply nothing Planet Minecraft can do to help aside from passing along word of new exploits and warning server owners to keep their servers as secure as possible.

Unfortunately I do believe this is the case the more I consider the matter, which is sad for all involved. Indeed a simple proxy will shift your IP address and then with the spoofed name they are free to continue causing carnage on the server once more. It is sad state of affairs in my opinion.

My 7 hours left of my ban are a slow and tiresome considering I was only attempting to help others from getting as disheartened as I am. On that matter how do I find out who issued my ban as I wish to contact them to see if they will give me some form of relief as my 'sins' where done with the best of intentions and not malicious.
09/09/2013 7:58 am
Cipher_Punk
queketthAt the same time as protecting your users, is there not an element of consideration for protecting the servers?

Perhaps this could be with a highly scrutinised global ban list in which servers can use, however this solution would be overly resource intensive and non plausible.

There is a service that does such a thing.
http://www.mcbans.com/

The problem is deeper than this, though. This service (or any) cannot distribute IP addresses (legal issues) and as such cannot be used to protect servers beyond the most minor and tech-inefficient offenders.

A user who is utilizing stolen accounts, username spoofing tools, or even simply capable of altering their own IP (which is not difficult) will remain completely free to bypass security measures put into place against users on this global bans list.

There is simply nothing Planet Minecraft can do to help aside from passing along word of new exploits and warning server owners to keep their servers as secure as possible.
09/09/2013 7:53 am
queketth
Cipher_PunkThe player blacklisting rule is quite important to maintaining civil discourse on our site. It also exists to protect our site members from each other.

I understand this and the reasoning behind this in order to protect innocent people, this unfortunately does however mean that the real offenders are able to hide behind a cloud of 'You can't touch us' weaving their evil way in-between innocent people caught up in their disrespect as they move from one innocent server to another. At the same time as protecting your users, is there not an element of consideration for protecting the servers?

Perhaps this could be with a highly scrutinised global ban list in which servers can use, however this solution would be overly resource intensive and non plausible. I do believe that in the future more consideration needs to be put into protecting servers from serial offenders.

I have no solution to this problem as of yet and I greatly understand and appreciate all of your concerns. I feel as if I am trying to fight a losing battle against these people and desire some method of solace with other users in a similar situation.
09/09/2013 7:39 am
Cipher_Punk
queketthI understand that I broke the rules on 'blacklisting' however it does seem slightly harsh to me that it results in a ban not just a caution and smack on the bottom don't do it again type action, considering the consequences surrounding the post? Correct me if I'm wrong

I would like to open with this: a 1 day ban is a very, very minor punishment and for all intents and purposes, just a smack on the bottom. These are given to first time offenders to create a user data log for future reference and to remind these users that they are guests on our site who can and will be removed if their pattern of behavior continues. Most reasonable users never accrue more than one log entry after this warning.

The player blacklisting rule is quite important to maintaining civil discourse on our site. It also exists to protect our site members from each other.

Just as there are players who would enter a server to use vulgar language and attempt to destroy your player's hard work, so too are there players who would attempt to destroy our community by falsely accusing our site members of inappropriate actions. We have seen it happen before.

Because most server owners do not posses the ability to log and prove their accusations, and because many users have tendencies to lash out against each other for small reasons, and partially because we lack the ability to verify these claims, we simply cannot allow blacklists to happen on our site, whether they be legitimate complaints or not.

I hope you understand. Thanks.

server075Be fast about it becuse i dont think this topic will be open for fery long

We are, contrary to popular belief, not unreasonable people. For as long as this post remains civil, it will remain open.

I hope you read my post here, and that you come to understand why what you have proposed is not an idea that will contribute to helping players overall - and may, in fact, come to harm many innocent people.
09/09/2013 7:33 am
Level 31 : Artisan Pirate
server075
Hello,

I do like the idea of a Global Black List for players whit the legit warning (and proof)
What i will do is make a page on 1 of my websites for people`s to reqwests on BlackListing Players name`s and IP`s. This will be a plublick File (Website page)
Were you can see all people who are Black Listed and for What reason.
to contect me about this you can send a PM or beter Add me to your Skype
My Skype name is: server-075 and my E-mail 075@live.nl
Be fast about it becuse i dont think this topic will be open for fery long
09/09/2013 7:32 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Skinner
Teddy
Hey again,

I do believe it was a little harsh - but we have to be very strict or else everyone and their mothers will want to put dirt onto peoples names!

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about the ban when it has passed. As long as you're not breaking our rules (you may want to refresh your memory on them every one and awhile) you shouldn't expect any more bans soon.

Here are a few quick links if you do decide to have a skim through them again;
Submission - submission-guidelines-updated-november-24th-2012-t40929.html
General Site - planetminecraft-rules-guidelines-upd-nov-2012-t1040.html
09/09/2013 7:12 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Skinner
Teddy
Hey there!

I totally understand the reason for you wanting to give a shout out about these players.

We recently created a post (and an announcement) about a loophole in a few servers which you can read here; http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/psa ... mediately/
This may be the reason these people were able to spoof your account. If this is the case try and spread word about this to as many server owners as you can!

We can't allow you to blacklist people in the slight chance that said person just had a misunderstanding with you, or for some reason you just don't like them so you try to destroy their reputation.
Of course, I wouldn't expect you to do this - but you know what some people are like.

I hope that cleared a few things up for you.
09/09/2013 7:24 am
queketth
Thank you for your response I have since closed the loophole, and I understand the concerns about people abusing the ability to blacklist. The post in which you linked was actually where my original comment was posted on and unfortunately where I received the ban from. I understand that I broke the rules on 'blacklisting' however it does seem slightly harsh to me that it results in a ban not just a caution and smack on the bottom don't do it again type action, considering the consequences surrounding the post? Correct me if I'm wrong
09/09/2013 6:23 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Wizard
the gravity block
If you have a problem with a ban take it to the moderator who banned you. You may be able to explain and/or work out the solution. However do not ask for unbans or reasons on a forum where nobody will know except for the moderator.
09/09/2013 6:30 am
queketth
I am not asking to not be banned I am asking for a space / the ability to 'blacklist' players which legitimately only on your server to cause as much trouble as possible. Perhaps this being in a separate part of the site so the main forums etc don't become a witch hunt!

I have changed the title of the post to make this more clear...
09/09/2013 6:59 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Wizard
the gravity block
ah ok sorry for the confusion!
09/09/2013 6:56 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
Ok, PMC doesn't allow Blacklisting, no way around that rule. So I suggest, like, banning then from your server, or not allow the, to log on. But if your purpose is to warn others, then just simply not, servers should kdo their best to keep greifers out. They'll cross the bridge when they get there
09/09/2013 7:03 am
queketth
These were however not griefers but hackers with the technical know how to cause real trouble. Everyone gets griefed now and again it appears that it's just a fact of life with MC servers however when people are hacking into the server, personally I believe this is stepping it up to a whole new level and one which others should be aware off, correct me if I am wrong ?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome