Puppy terror xD Help with the little one?

TheSquishyOne's Avatar TheSquishyOne5/16/16 3:45 am
1 emeralds 439 8
5/17/2016 7:44 am
TheSquishyOne's Avatar TheSquishyOne
Hey guys i just got a new puppy. Its a poodle crossed with something else (it doesent even look anything like a poodle). From what i know Chimpy (My 4 year old cousin named him) is about 4-6 weeks old. I just brought little Chimpy home today from the petshop and i have everything necessary (Harness, Inside Puppy pen, food, Training pads, ect).

He will only grow up to about 9 - 12 inches and right now he is about maybe 5 or 6 inches. He's soooo cute!

Okay so heres the question's
1. How do i teach him to be toilet trained (Keep in consideration i have training pads)
2. I would like him to learn a little independence so when he is home alone he doesn't yelp all the time and get upset, so how would i do that?
3. How would i teach him to be calm, but like playful when appropriate?
4. When should he start learning basic commands like ''Yes'' or ''No'', or maybe ''Sit''?

And any other helpful tips would be appreciated thanks guys!

Cya's!
TheSquishyOne
Level 25 : Expert Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/17/2016 2:47 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal

umm take a trainer?
05/17/2016 12:27 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Hi OP, hopefully I can be a bit of help. Been training dogs for 8+ years now, and these tips are what I recommend for all my clients.

Toilet Training:
There's no set 1 thing you should be doing to toilet train your puppy; where and when you want it to go is up to you. However, I recommend this tutorial to give you the basics of what you should being doing. Feel free to extend or change things to suit you.
https://www.lovethatpet.com/dogs/getting-started/how-to-toilet-train-your-puppy-in-3-days/

As for independence, crate training is amazing. I'd recommend this tutorial on crate training:
http://rspcavic.org/health-and-behaviour/dogs/crate-training-your-dog/
All of my dogs I have trained have been crate trained; it's a security blanket and teddy bear for your dog. You're also able to keep them in the crate for periods of time when you go out, or leave the crate door open so they can escape to it when they're feeling anxious.

Most dogs, ESPECIALLY puppies, whine or bark when you leave; it's just part of being a dog. The bad part is if they continue to bark the entire time you're gone, or if they start tearing things up. Most puppies that young though, aren't really ready for unsupervised freedom without you around; maybe wait till it's a bit older to really start getting into independence training.

So, getting your dog to be calm and play on cue is a bit of a trickier one, and nearly impossible for puppies. I'd be happy to go through this with you via PM if you like; though it is pretty extensive and probably won't be great for your puppy just yet.

You can teach your puppy basic tricks any time you like! If he seems playful and bright, that's a good indication that he's ready to start learning. I train dogs using positive reinforcement; this means giving treats A LOT when they do things right. shouting "NO" and hitting your pup is really really counterproductive and can make your puppy scared of you. Start off with really high powered treats; the things that your dog LOOVEES. Cheese and pieces of sausage work quite well (cut them up into small cubes, about the size of your little fingernail). Learning a trick is easy when your dog really wants the treat! After they get the basics of the trick, go down to medium sorts of treats like pieces of luncheon meat, dog biscuits etc.

If you've ever got any questions, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help out!
05/17/2016 7:43 am
TheSquishyOne
Thanks Snowy for your very helpful answer's!
2 things more though haha

1. My dog is biting my hand (He is only small and going to stay that way) but i know its apart of him developing and teething, but i want him to know he cant do it when he's older? (So like what should i do, just let him nibble around on my hand and stuff and he grows out of it? or tell him ''No''?)

2. Isn't the ''food training'' a bit unreliable at times because wouldnt he eventually get the mind set that he will only do as i say when he is hungry???

Thank you and sorry for being a nuisance xD
05/16/2016 8:25 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
I suggest that teaching your dog to ring bells that you put on your door to let you know he has to go. Also, buy a lot of bones or chew toys, or else say goodbye to your furniture.
05/16/2016 7:05 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Dragon
NakuMog
Pics or it doesnt exist.
Also id try to get some ballin treats from Blue pet foods brand. As my dog used to love them
05/17/2016 7:44 am
TheSquishyOne
No camera right now my phone is stuffed
05/16/2016 3:54 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Engineer
loganmbutler
Well your little puppy is going to be very, very clingy for the first few months of its life.

If you want to teach him to be independent, don't be clingy back with it. It's okay to pet and such, just don't let it sit all over you and let it learn to roam around with your guidance. He'll learn to be calm, and playful when appropriate through this as well.

As for commands, it's a puppy. It's like a little human if you think about it in a nutshell; we have to learn what stuff means. If you say no, that means no. If he doesnt stop whatever you don't want him doing, you need to be assertive and put a stop to the situation. As with when he does good things, compliment and give treats.

As for toilet training...good luck buddy.
05/16/2016 4:43 pm
TheSquishyOne
Thanks for the answer
Ill find a way some how with toilet training haha
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome