Question About the Ads

Camarilla's Avatar Camarilla11/26/15 10:05 pm
11/28/2015 12:38 pm
Neptune_Sage's Avatar Neptune_Sage
I can't site any sources, but a month or two ago I was reading here and saw Paril respond to a thread about the Pan ads that swarmed the site for a while with a question: "Do they appear more than once per day?"

For me, they never did.

However, some of the new ads have been appearing more than once per day. In fact, they have appeared 3 times an hour for me, and after these pop-ups appear (and say that they will leave after a timer counts down from 10), they stay and cause the page to go completely blank.

I can't imagine that this is intentional, or that there's a way for me to change it. I just wanted it to come to someone's attention.
Camarilla
Level 11 : Journeyman Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/28/2015 12:24 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
We have a good relationship with our ad manager. We'd rather work with them to try to make the ad ecosystem better for everybody on the network rather than just ditch them this far in.

If you find ads that are abusing restrictions (like being modal or autoplay/popup) we need to know which ad it is so we can report them.
11/28/2015 12:20 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
KarrthusThey use google adsense (i think) which gives you adverts related to your browser history and adverts related to thing on this website.

From what I've heard, correct.

xXCaptainSonicXxWith some adblockers, you can block certain ads, but I dnon't know where to find one that has that option

Correct
11/28/2015 11:42 am
Level 22 : Expert Engineer
CaptainSonicYT
With some adblockers, you can block certain ads, but I dnon't know where to find one that has that option
11/28/2015 4:55 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
11/28/2015 4:51 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Hunter
Neptune_Sage
As much as I would like to support PMC like you do those ads are unbearable, that's why I use adblock.
11/28/2015 10:04 am
Neptune_Sage
I can relate to this.
11/28/2015 11:34 am
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
pmc doesn't control the ads, they use google adsense (i think) which gives you adverts related to your browser history and adverts related to thing on this website, if you are having adverts that you cannot bear you should think about what you search for on the internet , the big pa-poosh fullscreen adverts are from the companies that pay google adsense thousands and thousands of pounds to allow them to be posted everywhere

tbh i think pmc should just disable the full screen adverts,it can be done
11/28/2015 12:38 pm
Neptune_Sage
I got some kind of weird stupid browser 2D mmo rpg adverts so I am good but they are annoying. I am usually searching for a good MMO RPG to go to with action combat so yeah, my history is fine.
11/28/2015 3:04 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
While this issue is being adressed, how about some form of crowdfunding for PMC? No need to work with ranks or anything, just something to ease the conscience for those of us that use adblockers (even if for something as simple as page loading speeds)
11/28/2015 9:54 am
Zitzabis
I have in the past asked if there was a way I could donate to PMC. For some reason, I was told they didn't really have an interest in it at this time. So it's been tried, but Cyprezz seems to be happy with the ad revenue since it's guaranteed and he doesn't have to rely on the members dishing out from their pockets and not always being enough.
11/28/2015 2:58 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
Cyprezz has crossed the line with the ads.

To anyone saying that it's outside of PMC's control, no it's not. Cyp can choose a network that pays less but has less intrusive ads but of course doesn't.
11/28/2015 9:52 am
Zitzabis
You're both wrong and right. We have no power or control over the ads that are displayed except to report them back to the service.
The reason why we have not chosen a new ad service is because the one we have works most of the time. But, as with any ad service, it will have some ads that are pesky and these need to be pruned.
So I will say it again. If there is a bothersome ad, report it to Paril and make the system better. There is no use in sitting here and complaining if you don't actually do anything to help. If you do sit here and just complain without helping, well... I don't see much point in us listening.

TLDR;
Report the ads.
11/28/2015 3:25 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
11/28/2015 9:39 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Yeah, people really think it's out of his control. Child friendly sites such as lego.com have no ads you know why? Because ads are 100% in the site owner's control.
Those fries look really good, by the way.
11/28/2015 2:14 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
Adblocker. Everyone that asks these questions makes the same mistake of not getting Adblocker.

If PMC has no ads, I would gladly stop running it, but I've had terrible experience with ads in the past.
11/28/2015 2:59 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
If PMC has reasonable ads, I would gladly stop running it.
FFTY
11/28/2015 10:37 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
*FTFY

PMC Has control over their ad supplier but not the ads. And yeah, screw PMC for choosing an ad supplier that gives them more money. I mean, they're so damn greedy, what with this being a free site and all!
11/27/2015 10:44 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Pop Ups are very often a fault in your computer while ads are uncontrollable. Also, not everyone feels safe just browsing the web for something like an ad blocker that could potentially harm their computer.
So, next time, before you put someone down, try to reason it out, first. At least then you would be making some effort to be mature.
11/27/2015 11:46 pm
Level 29 : Expert Birb
Auradyme
Adblock is one of the easiest things to install, its even on a safe site js>.>
11/28/2015 12:30 am
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
yoda473
Yeah but, and as people have already pointed out, the site would get less money. By not using ad blocker, you're giving the site money without you losing any.
11/27/2015 8:56 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
Why aren't you using a popup and ad blocker? It's 2015 son.
11/27/2015 9:01 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Exactly what i would of said ^
11/27/2015 9:31 pm
Zitzabis
PMC runs on ad revenue, not donations. In doing so, you would be removing an element of ad revenue from the site. No money = No site. If we could go without any ads, we would. But we cant.
11/28/2015 11:26 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Theawsomesharkie
You still make money, but we just can't see the ads, because they still pay for hosting them even if we can't see them.
11/27/2015 9:26 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
Jmal116
Sometimes people choose not to on sites they enjoy and feel deserve the extra funding. I know I have it turned off on youtube pages. Although if you ask me, pop up ads here would definitely justify turning it back on.
11/27/2015 8:41 pm
Zitzabis
This is outside of PMC's control in regards to how the ads work. But send a PM to Paril mentioning the issue and he can report the ads to the ad service we use and they can have them removed.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome