Server Overloaded

KCRat's Avatar KCRat4/21/11 12:27 pm
1 emeralds 517 4
4/21/2011 9:03 pm
KCRat's Avatar KCRat
Ok, So I am currently running a Bukkit Server on my 2009 Mac Pro 4 core 2.93Ghz Intel Xeon "Nahelm" Processor, with 8 gb of ram and the server is on my OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 128GB SSD.

I am currently using this start command:
cd /Volumes/Solid\ State/Bukkit\ Server/
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx5120M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar CraftBukkit.jar

Giving the max ram to the server of 5Gigs. Only this high because no matter what I change it too it seems to make no difference. I just added all of the extra GC commands and such as an attempt to help. But even with all of these specs and 5Gigs dedicated to the server I keep getting the Warning did the time change or is the server overloaded error. And as well, the server keeps slowing to a crawl, taking around 20 seconds to actually break or place a block.

It is currently a 1.4 bukkit server and minecraft 1.4 until bukkit updates. Does anyone have an Idea as to why I am getting the overloaded message, It seems when I am running the game that it does not use 5gigs of ram, and According to my software that monitors Ram usage, even when minecraft is crawling, only 4gigs is being used and I'm pretty sure less than a gig of it is being used by the server.

Any thoughts?
KCRat
Level 77 : Legendary Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/21/2011 9:03 pm
KCRat
I have removed all the extra, I was just trying to see if it helped. I am currently on OSX and the java app rarely goes over 1.5gigs. The thing is I've never gotten this message before today. I've always gotten lag spikes but the server has never been overloaded. I don't mind the error, as I do get it sometimes after my computer sleeps and such and the server is fine. But the 20 second lag when placing blocks is unbearable.
04/21/2011 8:22 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Zaralith
For starters, get rid of all of the extra commands, and the cd operation. Have the batch file in the same location as the craftbukkit.jar and make a shortcut to that file. Also, limit the RAM usage to maybe 2GB. When using status monitors (Try the task manager if you are using windows) and check the memory usage of individual processes. That will tell you how much the server is actually using. The message you are getting is something that everyone gets. The only difference is that some people get the error more often then others and that usually happens if something starts or runs besides the bukkit, though background processes don't really affect it.
04/21/2011 12:35 pm
KCRat
Yeah I figured that, But most servers run well with 1gig of ram, and Getting crazy lag with 5 gigs and a solid state drive, I Just don't understand.
04/21/2011 12:32 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pixel Puncher
holofire
The overloaded message is a sign of lag in my experience. Its quite common to be honest with servers. Not sure why your getting mega lag though.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome