Snake-oil (Fake) mods!

11volt11's Avatar 11volt112/15/12 4:19 pm
2/16/2012 4:48 pm
ripjay's Avatar ripjay
Read at your own risk. I am not responsible for you getting banned for flaming me. Before you attempt to say something mean, hear me out and read this entire post. Don't make an uninformed comment at me.

In case you don't know what a snake-oil salesman is, this is what Wikipedia says:
The phrase snake oil is as a derogatory term used to describe quackery, the promotion of fraudulent or unproven medical practices. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with questionable and/or unverifiable quality or benefit. By extension, the term "snake oil salesman" may be applied to someone who sells fraudulent goods, or who is a fraud himself.

I noticed on this site that one "Master Modder" who is level 48 and rising submitted a wonderful couple of mods onto this wonderful website where everything is real...

Psyche. This level 48 "Master Modder" has 152 subscribers and has over 600 diamonds total. Want to know something? He has not contributed an actual mod onto this website yet.

Among these bogus mods are the "Rocket Mod Travel to Space! Moving rocket!!" mod and the "Grand Theft Auto IV - Minecraftia / Hugest Minecraft Mod To be Seen!"

Does anyone want to know why these mods are fake?
This is one of his update logs for the Grand Theft Auto mod:
"I have added the world to the download so it should be up, its over 500 MB"

Hmmm... Methinks that it is impossible to have a half a gigabyte world file for Minecraft. Why? I'll tell ya.

The actual Grand Theft Auto game itself is probably a disc with 2-3 gigabytes of stuff. 50% of that disk space is for the graphics, shaders and API's, etc. Let's say that 35% is for the 3D models and the sprite data. Let's say that 10% is for code and programming. What would the other 5% be? The world file. The one where all the people, you know, do stuff in the game.
Now, if the fully-rendered world file on the actual game that has 20+ times better graphics than Minecraft is a maximum of 100 megabytes, explain to me how a friggin MINECRAFT world save could be five times that amount!

Now, this lie, plus the fact that this mod has been up for a month and there is no evidence of any progress (other than the progress bar), AND the fact that the only picture he has is a bogus one that was put up before the mod was even under production, AND he has three other bogus mods, AND one of those has a download link to a zip file with two bogus java class files that crash Minecraft, prove that this guy is a snake-oil salesman who just wants attention and popularity. This mod is a joke. And anyone that wishes to argue with me will be greeted by my logical reasoning.

There is absolutely no evidence of any mod being in production. No pictures, no documentation, no evidence of progress, no initial popularity or success with any other mod or thing... The list goes on and on. The only explanation to the mod's existence is that he is an aspiring modder that has no experience and is now learning java and how to mod. That would explain the time it's taking, but it wouldn't explain the lies and the bogus class files. There is no excuse for lying to the 152 ignorant subscribers that he has in order to become popular. (The only reason I'm subscribed is so I can keep track of him and his shenanigans. When his mods get taken down, or he gets his account terminated, I'm going to unsubscribe and pat myself on the back for helping to eliminate a liar.)

Why should this guy who has done NOTHING to contribute to Planet Minecraft's large, vast library of things be getting all of this recognition and popularity? There are other people who work their butts off and don't become popular.

I can't even BEGIN to apologize for how I made this a forum thread. But I flagged him two times for it being illegal (It goes against the rules of submissions "Do not Upload Fake Mods"). It doesn't seem like any effort to stop him is put forth. I am so sorry... I really shouldn't have made this a thread, but I wanted an intelligent person to either debate or agree with me, instead of the dumb ten-year-olds in the comments at the bottom of the submission.

I don't think I should say the name of the creator. It doesn't really matter anyway since he is 100% inactive on the forum (Some master modder, huh?). But it wouldn't be right to say a name. It should be pretty easy to find his submission, however. Just search for the mod titles that I stated above.

I read the forum rules just now and there is nothing that says I can't write a thread about this issue. But I still feel awkward about writing this. I just hope everyone understands that it sickens me to my stomach to know that there are people gaining all this popularity over nothing.

Please help me put an end to these and all other fake mods!

And by the way, if I wasn't at least 80% sure about myself, I would not have written this. There always is the chance that this mod is going to be legitimate and not fake, and if so I would do an epic double facepalm to myself, but I am going with my gut which is telling me that the mods are snake-oil.
11volt11
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/16/2012 7:46 am
Level 32 : Artisan Electrician
ripjay
not

"Rocket Mod Travel to Space! Moving rocket!!" mod and the "Grand Theft Auto IV - Minecraftia / Hugest Minecraft Mod To be Seen!"
02/16/2012 7:43 am
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Engineer
SuperDisk
..But he's still here?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/elfen_lordi/

All his stuff is still uploaded.
02/16/2012 4:35 pm
11volt11
He is not banned as of now, his two mods that made him a "master modder" are gone. Unfortunately, he still has 151 subscribers. Would it be wrong of me to PM each and every one of those subscribers saying that their beloved Elfen is dead?
02/16/2012 7:20 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
teh_p00n
oh wow.
AMAZING WORK DUDE.
(Claps and bows down)
02/16/2012 7:00 am
Level 28 : Expert Prince
Bidoduff
Elfen_Lordi

02/16/2012 6:55 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
Nymus
Volt, I tip my hat to you and applaud in that someone on PMC has the (excuse my french) balls to stand up to fakes.

Please, do work on the other fakes of PMC.
02/16/2012 4:45 pm
11volt11
Let's all use this thread as a hub for fakes to bring it to moderators' attention!
(After the submission gets flagged, though. Flagging is always the first step.)
02/16/2012 4:48 pm
ripjay
sounds good

11volt11
SuperDisk..But he's still here?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/elfen_lordi/

All his stuff is still uploaded.

He is not banned as of now, his two mods that made him a "master modder" are gone. Unfortunately, he still has 151 subscribers. Would it be wrong of me to PM each and every one of those subscribers saying that their beloved Elfen is dead?

and no not really
02/16/2012 6:46 am
ripjay
thus proving that no user is beyond justice
02/16/2012 6:36 am
11volt11
Ok, great. We got rid of Elfen's submissions. I am overjoyed and ecstatic! But now, how are we to get his 150 subscribers to believe that he was a phony? We were able to burn him, but not completely. There is still a lot on the agenda. I think that the moderators will take care of the dirty work though.

And by the way, all the people that replied to my comments in his submissions:
its a f**king big mod if you can make the mod bether so try it am shure you cant do it is it eny mods where you cna build a roket and travel to outher planets NO ITS NOT

dear dumb@** A.K.A 11volt11,dont u think big mods like this would take a while and he is probably a busy guy and u dont know him anywhere outside this website so u can stick it where the sun don't shine cuz he has more of a life than you!!!
p.s. wats the since in arguing anyway. let him be.

Dude.... he has alot of other mods to work on. Plus maybe he is one of those people who release it COMPLETELY when it is done.

Oh, I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I was RIGHT! Yay! Party! Happy!
02/15/2012 9:33 pm
11volt11
Beat him with a stick! Burn him at the stake!
02/15/2012 8:24 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
Clue
BURN HIM!
02/15/2012 8:17 pm
Level 27 : Expert Scribe
JustaFleshWound
Here is SOLID proof not entirely based on assumptions, that shows the GTA project is fake.

1. 500 Megabyte map size.
Not possible for multiple reasons, the largest being that the highest amount of memory possible alloted to MC is 150 megabytes. Not only that, but the incredible Project 1845, which is probably 3x the size of this project, only takes up about 50 mb. I don't currently see the creator mention the map size on the post, but he could have edited it.

2. The mod.

The mod itself is a empty class file supposedly for Nico. Without any spawn config or resource, this does nothing.

3. The screenshot.

The only proof that the actual map is real is the screenshot of Nico Belliac looking over Liberty City. I did a little digging and found something.

The very famous minecrafter known as Variede, made a video titled 'Grand Theft Minecart.' Take a look at around the 37 second mark.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=exh0ORTFeiQ[/youtube]

Look familiar?

This project is total B.S. and should be removed immediately.
02/15/2012 7:55 pm
Clue
YAY!
Rocket mod just got deleted!
And so we are on the "warpath"!
02/15/2012 7:51 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Princess
Sumaxi
Guys.. I actually worked with him on his server, I know who you are talking about. It's rather hard to believe that he did that.. although the proof is overwhelming, this is minecraft. A video game is programmed to be a video game. Minecraft is minecraft programmed to be a video game. Could explain so much data?
02/15/2012 7:54 pm
Clue
Sumaxi, it is true, download the Space Rocket mod, and look at the contents.
Then download the Sapphire mod and look at le contents.
They are the same.
And how does a 100MB map in a game with more thingamajjigers turn into a 500MB map in Minecraft?
02/15/2012 7:53 pm
11volt11
Are you talking about Elfin_Lordi?
And no, that still doesn't explain all the data. It is waaay too far-fetched. 500 megabytes? Sheesh... dumbest lie of the year. I'm sorry, there's no way. It's as far-fetched as Giorgio Tsukalos.
Birds are not that important.

- Giorgio Tsukalos

See? He's crazy!
02/15/2012 7:43 pm
Clue
Its a hack.
That deserves le banhammer if I am not mistaken.
02/15/2012 7:28 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist
Epik_Erik
While we are on the subject of fake mods and stuff there's this guy "darkfox496" thats been posting this "admin forcer mod" on all different posts even texture packs.

example
http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_ ... rld-32x32/
http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_ ... c-pack-hd/

and a few others that i cant find now :S
02/15/2012 7:52 pm
11volt11
Huh... I don't know what to make of that. Very mysterious, since this time it isn't in a post of the spammer himself. *whistles* Oh, moderators!
02/15/2012 7:52 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
craftykids
I saw one of those too...
02/15/2012 5:06 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
I know exactly who you are talking of without needing to read beyond the first line after the quote. I have had my eye on him since before I became a forum moderator. He is fast approaching the point where he will have to begin showing real proof.

If he doesn't show something good, I will delete his submissions and give him a hefty ban for spam.

BOOM Headshot.
02/15/2012 7:08 pm
11volt11
Thank you ZaphodX. It really makes my day to know that there are intelligent moderators out there who will all help to stop stupid people and con artists alike. That reply made my day!
02/15/2012 6:25 pm
11volt11
02/15/2012 5:12 pm
Clue
And no one with half a functioning mind would stop you.
02/15/2012 5:09 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Blob
Nox Aeterna
*Cheering and clapping*
02/15/2012 4:33 pm
Clue
Activating Report Systems.
Tactical Reportation Inbound.
Target: Elfen.
Chances of His Destruction? Over 9000.
Updated note on his mods:
GFAIV Mod: FAKE
Rocket to Space Mod?: Its just his Sapphire mod, under a different name.
Sapphire mod: A rather useless mod, possibly fake, maybe not.
MC Made better?: You mean MC made worse?
02/15/2012 5:01 pm
11volt11
I don't think any are real. Phew! *wipes off sweat* I'm glad people aren't hating.
02/15/2012 4:31 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Archer
eviltictac
This is a good point and I bet there is more than one of them...
Good work detective.
02/15/2012 4:25 pm
Clue
Down with this!
Screw him!
DISLIKE!
Oh wait?!

Y U NO HAVE DISLIKE?!
I hate "Snake-Oil-Salesman" as you call them.
I call them wastes of time, a bit harsh, but it is true until proven false.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome