How much RAM does a good Minecraft server need?

awj001's Avatar awj00112/28/12 10:35 am
1 emeralds 44.4k 19
1/5/2013 7:03 am
Jesuitical's Avatar Jesuitical
I'm making my own computer and I want to host a Minecraft server on it. This will also be a computer for my daily life. How much RAM should I put in for a Minecraft server with a good amount of players/plugins? Thanks!
awj001
awj001
Level 8 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

info Note: You're viewing a single reply. View all replies
12/30/2012 4:35 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Alien
TheiKing
Lets not forget something that is more important than ram.

Bandwidth

You can have all the ram in the world on a machine but if you dont have a good upload speed on your network that ram is useless and your players will lag non-the-less.

For major servers that receive alot of traffic it is recommended for someone to have a 100mbps Upload bandwidth which is why most major servers rent hosting from service providers.

If you are looking to host from your home machine be sure you have a good solid network with decent bandwidth. Small to medium servers should have at least 25 to 50 mbps upload

As for ram goes, I usually try to allocate at least 6 gb ram to each server. 1GB for normal server functions and plugins. The extra 5 is for slots. Typically the rule for ram on minecraft servers is 1GB of ram equates to about 5-10 player slots. I usually say 1gb is worth about 7 players per gig. So 5 gigs is about 40-50 slots. My flagship server has 16gb Ram Allocated to it, we are expanding to 32 soon. (iKingsSGC hosts its servers on my home connection as I get 100mbps download and 100mbps upload speeds.)

But again before you go out and spend a large amount on ram be sure your network connection has decent bandwidth.

Also before spending loads of cash on ram be sure you CPU can handle the load. Most servers bottleneck on CPU power even if they have a decent amount of ram. You cant expect an intel pentium processor to be able to host a server that gets large amounts of traffic, its just going to bottleneck on you and cause issues even if you have lets say 6gb ram allocated to the server.

So before spending all that money on ram please be sure to check not only your machine stats but also your bandwidth speed.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome