FlenixRoads 2 - Total recode for 1.7

Fureniku's Avatar Fureniku7/12/14 4:58 pm
1 emeralds 9.2k 21
1/29/2016 12:43 pm
DylanTheMinerBoy's Avatar DylanTheMinerBoy
Hey guys!

I'm here today with an announcement regarding my FlenixRoads mod.
When I started the mod, I knew next to nothing about Java, my knowledge was very limited. Over the past year, I've learned a lot, and the time came for me to update FR to 1.7.

I dusted off the Eclipse project, opened it up and I was horrified by the mess of code that was contained in there. This was the thing I was dreading - the reason I hadn't touched the mod in such a long time.

So, I came to the decision that I'm going to entirely rewrite the mod from the ground up. It's going to be a LOT better, with a LOT more options of how to design your roads!

Some of the most important changes:

Paint is now separate to the road.
It will still appear to be on the road, but it's placed as a block "above" the road. By doing this, you can have different styles of tarmac which all accept the same type of paint. You can even paint on things like grass to make a football pitch!

Paint is now "smart"
If you place two centre white lines in a corner shape, the middle one will automagically change to a corner line instead. As a picture speaks a thousand words:

Roads can now be any one of 16 height options.
In the original mod, roads were always 0.75 high. I still believe this to be "optimum" positioning, but now you can set them at any of 16 heights. That's twice as many as vanilla Snow! The new lines will align correctly on top of the road. This is also shown very nicely in the image above.

Roads will dynamically "connect" to alternate heights to form natural ramps
This feature is being worked on currently. In the image above, there are small "steps" between the lower and upper blocks. In the released edition, there will be no step- the road will automatically slope up towards blocks of a different height, providing they are a road block. If it's not a road, it's ignored.
By doing this, roads can have natural looking hills and curving ramps.

Blocks like the street light and traffic light will A) work, and B) be multipart
As it says on the tin. It'll work with FMP, and the old poles will act as a redstone cable. Other FMP redstone cables (for example those in Project Red) will also work.

I'm very much open to any and all feedback people have to offer.
And yes, this means any roads built in 1.6 will not survive into 1.7. That's what happens when you use a beta mod.
Fureniku
Level 88 : Elite Modder