The Official Guide to Planet Minecraft

CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_8/9/15 11:59 pm history
1 emeralds 2.7k 24
11/28/2015 7:23 pm
CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_
Hello one, hello all.

Welcome to the new, improved, and ever-expanding Official Site Guide, now being maintained and managed by myself, Cal (formerly known as MGB).

As it currently stands, this guide includes info about a wide variety of topics of the site, which all fall under three categories, Site, Forums, and Chat.

I am still in the process of importing the original guide into this one. As I do not have access to the original BBCode, this is a time consuming process. Thanks for you patience!

I hope you find this useful!

Thanks,

Cal & The Crew

Table of Contents:

Site

Forums

Chat

Changelog/Credit
CalPal_
Level 38 : Artisan Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

info You're currently viewing a single reply. View all replies
CalPal_
08/10/2015 12:00 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
Forum

Main credit: DAP.Full credit in Credits post.

Forums, Sub-Forums, Threads, and Replies:
Click to reveal
This is all really simple. Forums and sub-forums are like sections and sections within sections, to channel related topics together. Threads are topics in sub-forums, and are related to that sub-forum. Replies are comments, answers, etc. on that topic, where people give opinions, help people out, etc.

Forum:

Sub-Forum:

Thread:

Reply:

Posting a Thread:
Click to reveal
Posting a thread is pretty easy:

1. First, write the topic here. This is what the thread will be about.

2. Write about the thread or whatever the topic of the thread is here. If it's a problem, be descriptive.

3. This is BBCode. You can format the thread with fonts, bolding, images, etc. This can make your thread neater if it's longer.

4. Smilies are emoticons that can be used in the thread to show feelings, reactions, etc.

5. These are some options you can enable/disable in the thread:
  • Disable BBCode: This is if you don't want BBCode on the thread, so [.b][./b] (when correctly used) just shows up like that, instead of the sentence you plug it in actually being bolded.
  • Disable Smilies: This is to stop things like ;.) (no .) turning into . Helpful if you are writing something with no smilies, and then in the middle of the sentence, a smilie appears because you used the code for it.
  • Do not automatically parse URLs: It is recommended to keep this un-checked, but what this does, is changes a link that is clickable, http://www.planetminecraft.com, to a link that is un-clickable, forcing you to copy and paste the URL into your address bar.
  • Attach a Signature: This is automatically checked (can be edited in the User CP, which will be explained later) when you are posting a reply or a thread. This is to enable the showing of your signature after your post, on a seperate line.
  • Notify me when a reply is posted: I've not used this too much (maybe somebody could confirm), but I think this sends an email to you when a reply is posted on your thread; good for wanting to reply fast when somebody replies, instead of having to keep refreshing.

6. These buttons are for either saving your thread, to actually posting it:
  • Save: This saves your thread as a draft, which will be viewable (and postable) in your User CP.
  • Preview: This allows you to preview what your thread would look like when you post it. This enables the BBCode, images, etc. allowing you to see what other people will see.
  • Submit: This actually posts the thread, allowing other people to view and reply.

7. This is poll options, in-case you want to post a poll for people to vote in. Here is a picture with the options described:

• Poll Question: This is the question that people will see on the poll view.
  • Poll Options: This is the different things people can vote for. Put up to 10 options here people can choose.
  • Options per User: This is how many different poll items users can select.
  • Run Poll for: This is to make the poll disappear in a certain amount of days - an expiration date if you will. The poll will still stay there, but nobody will be able to vote. This is good for viewing opinions of people in a small time period. 0 is the default, and that allows it to stay there forever. And ever.
  • Allow Re-Voting: This allows user to change their vote(s) to something else, in-case they have a random opinion change or something.

That is all the options for a thread, and once you decide what you will do on all of them, preview first (recommended), and then once it seems there is no typos or errors, then Submit it

Posting a Reply:
Click to reveal

The "Reply" area is found after the last post on the thread - so pretty much just scroll down all the way to find a white box. Here are what the numbers mean:

1. Simply type the words for your reply here. Whatever you want users to see that YOU said, jot it down here.
2. This is the BBCode area, where you can format your post like fonts changes (bold, italic), to quoting, to making a list. All of what this means will be explained in the next spoiler.
3. These are the smilies which you can use to enhance (but not spam) your post. It pretty much just adds more of your emotions to the post.
4. These are some options you can enable/disable in the reply:
  • Disable BBCode: This is if you don't want BBCode on the thread, so [.b][./b] (when correctly used) just shows up like that, instead of the sentence you plug it in actually being bolded.
  • Disable Smilies: This is to stop things like ;.) (no .) turning into . Helpful if you are writing something with no smilies, and then in the middle of the sentence, a smilie appears because you used the code for it.
  • Do not automatically parse URLs: It is recommended to keep this un-checked, but what this does, is changes a link that is clickable, http://www.planetminecraft.com, to a link that is un-clickable, forcing you to copy and paste the URL into your address bar.
  • Attach a Signature: This is automatically checked (can be edited in the User CP, which will be explained later) when you are posting a reply or a thread. This is to enable the showing of your signature after your post, on a seperate line.
  • Notify me when a reply is posted: I've not used this too much (maybe somebody could confirm), but I think this sends an email to you when a reply is posted on your thread; good for wanting to reply fast when somebody replies, instead of having to keep refreshing.

• Preview: Preview allows you to preview your post before posting, and allows you to see what others and you will see.
  • Submit: This actually posts your reply for the whole world to see. Make sure you previewed before posting

Remember that everybody (registered or not) will be able to see your post, so remember to think twice before posting!

BBCode:
[spoiler]BBCode is very important when creating a long thread or just a reply - it enhances and formats your post to make it more professional, and readable. Here are each of the options for BBCode (how to use them/demonstrations will be after explanation):
[simg]gyazo.com/b42cd776088ecf9b615b92003370f729.png[/simg]

Here is the format for the list:
[i]Name of BBCode (BBCode Symbol):[/i]

[list][*][b]Bold (B):[/b] This makes the highlighted portion of text bolded, creating a more blackened text.
[*][b]Italic (I):[/b] This makes your text slanted, making it come out a bit.
[*][b]Underlined (U):[/b] This makes your text underlined, usually used for important areas of text.
[*][b]Quote:[/b] You can use this to make a area of text look like a quote. There is also an option on the thread on each reply that allows you to quote that person's reply.
[*][b]Code:[/b] This allows a small area of text to be represented as code. This means BBCode or smilies won't work, and is good for demonstrating the BBCode for something to somebody, or raw code.
[*][b]List:[/b] This allows you to create a list of things, like what I am currently doing now. If you use the bullet code with this, it will make bullet points
[*][b]List=:[/b] This makes it so you can change from having bullet points, to having numbers or letters.
[*][b]Bullets ([ * ]):[/b] You can use this instead of actually typing out the [ * ] thing, and is used to create a list as said above. It just adds the bullet to the lists.
[*][b]Image (IMG):[/b] This allows for an image to be shown in a reply, instead of somebody having to travel to the link. You need to have the direct image link (a link ending with .jpg, .png, etc.) to be able to do this.
[*][b]URL:[/b] This allows a URL to be clickable, making it so people don't have to highlight, copy, and paste the link into their address bar. Generally, this happens automatically though.
[*][b]Font Size (Normal):[/b] You can change the font size of a highlighted area of text, making it pop out more to a reader.
[*][b]Text Color (Font Colour):[/b] This changes what color the highlighted text area will be.
[*][b]Center:[/b] This allows a highlighted text area to be centered, making it so the text area will be in the exact center width-wise.
[*][b]HR (I think it stands for horizontal rule):[/b] Basically creates a line across the reply. Used for creating sections, and making it easier to read.
[*][b]Sliced (S):[/b] This creates text that is cut in half.
[*][b]Small Image (SIMG):[/b] This has the same purpose of Image (IMG), but if the image is too big, and gets cut because of it, use this, and the site will scale it down to the size of the reply area, making it so users can see it.
[*][b]Spoiler:[/b] This is a simple way to hide text that you can easily see by clicking it. Used for either making things neater, or maybe hiding a spoiler like a movie spoiler, answers for something, etc. that people can choose to see or not.
[*][b]YouTube (YT):[/b] This makes it so you can embed YouTube videos in your reply. Pretty much makes it so you can play the video without leaving the site.[/spoiler]

[b]Reporting:[/b]
[spoiler]You can use the [simg]i.imgur.com/Me9Bmf2.png[/simg] button to report posts/threads that are breaking the rules of the forums listed here: [url]www.planetminecraft.com/rules/[/url]

Reporting is simple; if you find a post/thread that is not complying to the rules, then you can click the report button to report it to forums mods that are ready to take of the problem.

Once you report the rule-breaking thread or post, then you are done, and the forum mods will take it from there.

You can receive two different types of replies from a report:
1. Closed: When a forum mod closes a report, that means that the report was valid, and you have helped clean the PMC community successfully.
2. Deleted: When a forum mod deletes a report, that means that the report was invalid. This doesn't mean you are in trouble (unless you purposefully reported incorrectly), but you should check the rules again.[/spoiler]

[b]Quoting:[/b]
[spoiler]Quoting can be used to either specifically reply to a post/group of posts, or to show proof that a post existed.

To quote a post, simply click the [simg]i.imgur.com/P8ZLBmr.png[/simg] button on the post, and it will automatically redirect you to a page where you can type your reply underneath the post you quoted. The quote button is very magical, as to where it automatically quotes all posts that were quoted in the specific post you quoted (up to three). That was a mouthful![/spoiler]

[b]Signatures:[/b]
[spoiler]A forum signature is either a piece of text and/or images that is automatically added at the end of every post you make (seperated by a divider). This is a good resource for multiple things.

[simg]i.imgur.com/Muyv65C.png[/simg]

Read the [url=www.planetminecraft.com/rules/]rules[/url] for the full list of what you may or may not put in your signature.[/spoiler]

[b]Forum Profile:[/b]
[spoiler]Your forum profile is another profile besides your site profile that you may access via the forum settings.

[simg]i.imgur.com/IZR2ZCI.png[/simg]
(some things were blacked out as they are not on the user forum profile)

In this profile, you may put different social network and contact info for all to view. You can also change what is said on the side of your posts, underneath your avatar.

[simg]i.imgur.com/TOVlcFC.png[/simg]

Your "says", favorite server, Minecraft username, website, and location will be displayed on the side of your posts.

[simg]i.imgur.com/3rO1ws9.png[/simg][/spoiler]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome