big server problem

Anything that isn't Minecraft-related or doesn't go anywhere above goes here.

Post Permalink
by Kozi » 2/25/2012

well i have port forwarded and done all that and now when my mates wanna join they try and it wont let them join. i dont know what is wrong with it. also somethimes when im port forwarding my connection to the internet from my laptop fails. Can you use a laptop to port forward? please help me :(
Level 13
Journeyman Hunter

Post Permalink
by Leprehaun » 2/25/2012

You can use a laptop as long as its decent ands you need at least 16gb of ram for other people to connect
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by craftboom » 2/25/2012

You port forward from the router.

You tell it that connections to 25565 (or whichever minecraft port you're running) should be forwarded to your laptop. (usually in this format 192.168.0.x). Then you give your friends your Internet IP address. http://www.whatismyip.org
Level 59
Grandmaster Engineer

Post Permalink
by Kozi » 2/25/2012

i think its my lack of ram lol probs
can i do it from a main computer?
Level 13
Journeyman Hunter

Post Permalink
by craftboom » 2/25/2012

Leprehaun wrote:You can use a laptop as long as its decent ands you need at least 16gb of ram for other people to connect

This is not correct. 1 or 2GB of ram will suffice for a few players. However, There are two main problems with running a minecraft server on your laptop.

1st problem is the CPU. Minecraft is what you call bloatware.. it uses huge amounts of resources, so the majority of laptops will not have enough processing power to run a minecraft server smoothly, especially if you're considering using bukkit and plugins.

2nd problem is your internet connection. Hosting a server on your home connection is not recommended for a number of reasons. Regardless of your bandwidth, people will still have latency issues connecting to your server.

You're much better off going for a proper host where you can get a small 24/7 server for a few dollars a month.
Level 59
Grandmaster Engineer

Post Permalink
by jjaammster » 2/25/2012

Leprehaun wrote:You can use a laptop as long as its decent ands you need at least 16gb of ram for other people to connect

i ran a server for me and a few mates with 512meg of ram
Level 29
Expert Electrician
Says: redstone is cool
Minecraft: jjaammster

Post Permalink
by ZaphodX » 2/25/2012

Level 72
Legendary Warrior
Says: I am fond of turtles.
Minecraft: ZaphodX

Post Permalink
by Kozi » 2/25/2012

in know how to make it but its the port forwardin i dont know how to do :(
Level 13
Journeyman Hunter

Post Permalink
by stevo298 » 2/25/2012

can you join?
Level 1
New Explorer

Post Permalink
by ZaphodX » 2/25/2012

Kozi wrote:in know how to make it but its the port forwardin i dont know how to do :(

The guide tells you everything about how to make a server, including portforwarding or Hamachi.
Level 72
Legendary Warrior
Says: I am fond of turtles.
Minecraft: ZaphodX

Post Permalink
by jackattack4000 » 2/25/2012

Off-topic thing I'm probably going to say: Why do people say "Mate" instead of friends?
On topic thing: ZaphodX just answered your question.
Level 30
Artisan Pokemon
Says: "Oh, so now the talking cheese is going to preach to us!" Random fish lady
Minecraft: jackattack4000
mc_server: I like trains

Post Permalink
by jjaammster » 2/25/2012

jackattack4000 wrote:Off-topic thing I'm probably going to say: Why do people say "Mate" instead of friends?
On topic thing: ZaphodX just answered your question.

its a bit more friendly and hey if you go upto someone and say hey friends i would go imbetweeners and start going friends, football friends :P
but if u follow that and it still doesnt work check your firewalls
Level 29
Expert Electrician
Says: redstone is cool
Minecraft: jjaammster

Next

Return to General Discussion