I want to snap out of my building style!

Mellorine's Avatar Mellorine4/26/15 1:49 pm
5/11/2015 12:55 pm
bob_2_MC's Avatar bob_2_MC
Hello everyone!

Im Mellorine, and im a medieval builder.
I've been playing for a while and im quite good. Tho, i want to snap out of my building style and create something new and original.
These are some previous builds (plots): http://bunchiebay.imgur.com/

So I need personal tips on how to create something original and new, thanks a lot!

Happy building!

P.S, if you got questions, just ask them below.
Server? play.athion.net
Mellorine
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/11/2015 12:55 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Lego Builder
bob_2_MC
You got some skills man. I would suggest look at a build that is totally out of your style. In this case that would be something with more structure and less detail.
Here are a few suggestions:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... es-dreams/
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... ng-hub-10/
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... rial-city/

Good luck and keep building!
04/27/2015 2:51 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Masque
Your builds at the moment contain very similar blocks. If you wanted to mix things up a bit- try using different materials that still have a satisfying contrast. For example, if you wanted to keep a medieval style, log and wool together can be quite complementary. As for lack of structural ideas... When I can't think of anything to build, the best thing I find to do is to look at pictures of real buildings. Sometimes even when your walking around or in the car, see how the interesting houses have little things like odd beams and archways. The most important thing to keep in mind trying to come up with something original is to not forget details. Making any old house is one thing- but getting the inspiration to think of unique details and structure is another.
04/27/2015 3:15 pm
Mellorine
Aight, i will remember that, thanks mate ^^
04/26/2015 7:01 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I used to lucid dream a shitload as a kid, to the point I would do it every other night. something changed at some point, and now I cannot remember my dreams at all.

on another note, there are 4 basic elements to building. Palette, shape, Depth and detail.

the shape is really well explained by that first video link posted here. Block pallette is something I'm making a tutorial on, and same goes for depth and detail.

to sum up depth and detail though, Depth means you add lots of layers to a build instead of just flat walls. its also essential to get a lot of detail into your build without it becoming noisy.
04/27/2015 1:41 pm
Mellorine
Okay i will try, thanks for answering!
04/26/2015 5:52 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Network
Digital-PenQuin
You could change your block palette, perhaps use lighter colours or add different blocks in occasionally to force yourself out of your previous style.
The other option is to force yourself to change the shape and depth of everything from the wall designs to the overall shape of building.

I always like to build things from movies as it always helps. Building the white Minas Tirith followed by a stone building such as hogwarts (which in itself has different styles e.g the quidditch pitch) for example can really broaden the range of buildings that you can do quite quickly.
This is because often movie subject is quite hard in minecraft. Minas tirith is almost entirly white for example which looks good in the movies but challenges you to find better ways to create contrast. Likewise Hogwarts uses mainly variants on stone (or sandstone depending on your choice) which strips down the general wood-stone style of almost everyone. It can really help broaden your style.
04/26/2015 5:21 pm
Ivain
aaaah, Athion. I see. Try Vadact, Sunfury and Creative_blocks
04/27/2015 1:32 pm
Mellorine
Okay i will
04/26/2015 4:40 pm
Ivain
Which creative plots server, btw? curious
04/26/2015 4:44 pm
Mellorine
play.athion.net
04/26/2015 3:56 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
gumangel
04/26/2015 4:06 pm
Mellorine
Aye, thanks mate
Have a good day
04/26/2015 3:33 pm
Ivain
I have some, As I sort of make a hobby out of changing style regularly. Apart from real life architects, look around the creative community of PMC and the architects of the Internet for inspiration. I myself learned a lot from a lot of different sources, and I've gone through a lot of styles.

Another thing I might recommend is playing on creative plots servers. And I don't mean those that are filled with roleplay and skin contests, but the ones hosted by prestigious or at least skilled buildteams. 90% of my building skills came from servers like that, as making a creation under the restrictions those servers presents a challenge that will help you improve your skills by a lot.
04/26/2015 4:06 pm
Mellorine
I will keep an eye out, i also play on a creative plot server
Happy mining!
04/26/2015 2:32 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I have 2 secret tricks that I use for inspiration, but they're not that secret anymore, I guess

Number. 1
You can go to sleep and then wake up again.
This might sound weird... I know, but let me explain why this might help:

You know how dreams never make sense? Use that! try when you wake up in the morning to have a piece of paper and a pencil beside you. Then when you wake up, draw a quick sketch of what you saw in it.
Now be aware! if you do it, then don't expect that you'll have the perfect and original idea the first time.

I have personally got some weird idea's that I'm currently processing into projects.

Number. 2
Though you can also try something else with your dreams:

Take control of it. This sounds hard but actually isn't. The only problem is that the first time you try this techinch you'll have a hard time understanding what is going on.
It's very simple:
Take a pencil or something to draw with, and then make a Dot in the palm of your hand. When you go to sleep, try to remeber the Dot, and when you see the Dot in your dream, you will be in control of 50% of it. The remaining 50% is your brain screwing with you. That's why you might find it hard to understand why some things in your dream change during it.

This technich does help you remember everything that happens in your dream, though it sets down the level of "Creativity" (the amount of mushrooms that your brain is giving you when you have those weird butt dreams)
But it works sometimes.
04/26/2015 5:44 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
The_RealMan
Isn't #2 lucid dreaming? If it is don't you risk a sleep paralysis?
04/30/2015 7:55 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Well it is. Though you will usually experience the thing you talk about (Sleep Paralysis) if you've just watched something scary (Plane Crash, Horro Movie, Death)
The reason for this can be explained with 2 facts:

1) Your body goes into this kind of "Paralysed" mode when you're in your deepest of sleep. This means you are unable to move. People with this "Mode" weak, will usually become what's known as "Sleep walkers". And that's a thing...

2) You have to remember that when your in a "Lucid dream" then you are only in control of 50% of the dream. The rest of the 50% is (As I said earlier) your brain screwing with you.

Combining these two facts: You have a higher chance of waking up since the remaining 50% of your brain remembers that scary moment, and sometimes it scares you awake, even in your deepest sleep.

Though I have advise if you EVER wake up paralysed:
Tip
Do NOT become scared if you see monsters (Ghosts, Dead people, Horror figures, or other stuff like that)
Relax and remember this post.
The reason for you seeing these "Monsters" is because some of your brain is still sleeping and dreaming. This cause the signal to your eyes to make hallucinations of "Monsters".
04/26/2015 5:58 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Network
Digital-PenQuin
I have never heard that problem, From what i have heard, Lucid dreaming can actually often treat sleep problems such as nightmares or night terrors (as if you can train yourself to know you are sleeping, it can often be less scary and helps you stop). But using it to help with minecraft, Ive never heard that one xD

Anyway there are a lot of sites out there now to tell you about it, ever since inception came out lol ;D
04/26/2015 5:31 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
LOL, if I tried to build what I saw in my dreams then every one would think I was crazy It's a good idea though.
04/26/2015 4:05 pm
Mellorine
That sounds amazing! I will try it (even my gf will try, so feel proud mate! >.>)
thanks a lot
04/26/2015 3:37 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
ElectricMusiq
Post so reminded me of "secret trick to lose weight" scam advert on the internet...

Go on sir.
04/26/2015 3:35 pm
Ivain
Lucid dreaming isn't too hard when your sleep is normal by itself. Very few people have a sleeping pattern fit for it though... (I for one cannot get to sleep before 2 am)
04/27/2015 1:39 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
klutten99
Damn you should really get sleep up man... Destroys your body even if you feel like you are not sleepy in the morning, it's not a good thing you should be sleepy in the mornings else you have not slept well enough.
04/26/2015 2:09 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
i can recommend having architects that inspire you, my favourites are gaudi, heatherwick and gehry, which helps if you want an organic style
if you want a more straightforward style you can try van der rohe, loos, or foster for example
04/26/2015 2:20 pm
Mellorine
I am inspired by Madnes, got any more tips?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome