What should I start with if im thinking about coding?

HassanPCMR's Avatar HassanPCMR7/27/14 5:06 pm
7/28/2014 5:16 am
luigi_vampa's Avatar luigi_vampa
I've been avoiding trying to code for a while now, since its hard work, but I think its time for me to start coding. I am thinking about making mods, but you can also suggest other types of codes for me to start with before i learn java. I am looking for tutorials that are very helpful to beginners and recommendations on how i should start off.
HassanPCMR
Level 28 : Expert Pirate

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/28/2014 5:16 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
When it comes to web hosting you get what you pay for but if you're just poking about sign up and get a free host here (they're not bad and they add a couple of free databases - You'll get into that if you look at php).
http://www.000webhost.com/

Free ftp client here (This will allow you to upload/edit files online easily).
https://filezilla-project.org/

Free text editor for editing the files
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Good luck, shout if you need something
07/27/2014 6:45 pm
HassanPCMR
Thanks for help everyone! Im currently using codecadamy, to learn html,css,and python, then I will start coding java!
07/27/2014 6:48 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Good Luck
07/27/2014 6:25 pm
luigi_vampa
Wasn't C# a rip off of Java anyway?
07/27/2014 6:22 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Pyro
Supernova666
To those talking about. a flame war, that conversation stops now. The second best way to start one is to talk about it.

@some1epic - I don't think you were being rude, just stating an opinion, but the internet being the internet an opinion is always wrongly taken. I also agree with what you have been saying.

@thegreensniper - Please follow up claims with a source or some credible proof. For the record, I have not agreed with what you have been saying. Too may holes, sweeping statements and things not entirely correct for my liking.

@OP - A good language to start with is up to you. JavaScript is a good fun language to learn, as is HTML and CSS. If you're looking at modding Minecraft, go for Java, and, if it were me, I would follow what some1epic123 said:
some1epic123@OP Either start with something like Python to learn basic programming concepts,
or go right ahead into Java. If you use Java, I would highly recommend reading Oracle's official wiki/docs and avoiding any other websites or YouTube tutorials, as they miss out on a lot of important information. Thanks to those websites, nobody on this site can follow basic OOP rules or organize their packages correctly.

Now everyone please stay on topic.
07/27/2014 6:13 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Programmer
Techdoodle
some1epic123
luigi_vampaI believe you mean greensniper suggested. My two pence was C#!

Ah, I missed that. I'll edit my quote, but either way, neither one of the C languages are good for beginners.

Blaze

Anyone else smell a flame? (war)

I stated good advice to help OP and proved the bad advice wrong. If any of that was rude, please correct me, as I don't mean to spark an argument.

I started out with C++ at the college level, so I learned to clean up after myself and my program. Going from C++ to Java is pretty easy, but going from Java to C++, you still have to learn about important concepts like memory leaks that Java doesn't teach you.

In my opinion, its the right tool for the right job.
If you were making a closed source, professional game, you would probably use C++ or C#.
If you were making an open-source small application for all, you would probably use Java.
07/27/2014 5:57 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
07/27/2014 6:01 pm
Level 46 : Master Princess
OreoVal
Thought I saw a bit of smoke...
07/27/2014 6:06 pm
luigi_vampa
I'm too old for that crap. I was right in it with PC vs Mac and I've had my fill!
07/27/2014 5:55 pm
luigi_vampa
I believe you mean greensniper suggested. My two pence was C#!
07/27/2014 5:57 pm
Level 23 : Expert Modder
some1epic123
Ah, I missed that. I'll edit my quote, but either way, neither one of the C languages are good for beginners.

Blaze

I stated good advice to help OP and proved the bad advice wrong. If any of that was rude, please correct me, as I don't mean to spark an argument.
07/27/2014 5:53 pm
some1epic123
luigi_vampa
some1epic123Really, people? HTML is nothing more than some basic scripting to make up a skeleton for your website, and is in no way related to OOP languages. Learning HTML would have no benefit for OP's objective.

thegreensniper

l'll review some of the major languages.
Ruby is simple, but is useful for websites only(same with Rails.)
Python is overly elegant but has similar uses(not how to use it, however) to C and Java.
C is a better(in my opinion) version of Java.
C++, C#, and the now-nonfunctional Obj. C(replaced with Thrift) are versions of it.
O. C and C++ all contain 99% of C and then some. C#(C Sharp) is similar but contains nothing of C.
PHP and HTML are for site programming.
I hate Java with a burning passion. 'Nuff said.

No. You do not start with C languages, and both languages have their strengths. If you're going to come and tell OP that C++ is somehow superior with no proof, please go to a section that you can help in.

People need to stop giving advice on things they know nothing about and
stating it as fact.

Why not start with c languages?

First you go on to suggest C, which is extremely old, and doesn't even have classes.
After that, you suggest C++, which is basically spaghetti. C++ can be used for more low level programming projects like drivers, but other than that, Java can do everything that C++ can do, and is easier for beginners. Because of all the horrible advice you've given, I don't think that OP should be listening to you. Other than blinding listening to someone who told you that C++ is superior with no proof,
what experience do you have with programming?
07/27/2014 5:45 pm
luigi_vampa
some1epic123Really, people? HTML is nothing more than some basic scripting to make up a skeleton for your website, and is in no way related to OOP languages. Learning HTML would have no benefit for OP's objective.

thegreensniper

Python is overly elegant but has similar uses(not how to use it, however) to C and Java.
C++, C#, and the now-nonfunctional Obj. C(replaced with Thrift) are versions of it.
O. C and C++ all contain 99% of C and then some. C#(C Sharp) is similar but contains nothing of C.

No. You do not start with C languages, and both languages have their strengths. If you're going to come and tell OP that C++ is somehow superior with no proof, please go to a section that you can help in.

stating it as fact.

Why not start with c languages?
07/27/2014 5:38 pm
some1epic123
Really, people? HTML is nothing more than some basic scripting to make up a skeleton for your website, and is in no way related to OOP languages. Learning HTML would have no benefit for OP's objective.

thegreensniper

stating it as fact.

@OP Either start with something like Python to learn basic programming concepts,
or go right ahead into Java. If you use Java, I would highly recommend reading Oracle's official wiki/docs and avoiding any other websites or YouTube tutorials, as they miss out on a lot of important information. Thanks to those websites, nobody on this site can follow basic OOP rules or organize their packages correctly.

This thread can help you with learning Java. Unlike everyone else on this thread, I know what I'm doing, and have years of experience with OOP and non OOP programming.

Good luck
07/27/2014 5:36 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
ETminecraft
GamerAuthority... before you start with javascript.

When did he mention JavaScript? Java and JScript are two different things there, buddy.

"Java and Javascript are similar like Car and Carpet are similar."

If you want to learn Java I recommend TheNewBoston. (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9D83EE3E28)
07/27/2014 5:33 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragonborn
foeLe
GamerAuthority... before you start with javascript.

When did he mention JavaScript? Java and JScript are two different things there, buddy.
07/27/2014 5:22 pm
luigi_vampa
As said before HTML, CSS is a good place to start. As an MS fanboy though I'll always recommend Visual Studio. The express versions are free and the code examples in the MSDN library can help you go a long way. Intellisense will help you out a lot too (it's an integrated tool to help you code better). This'd make c# a good language to move to.
Just make sure you stay in a language vaguely c based like Javascript, Java, C# etc. This makes grammar and syntax easier to understand as you move through languages. Get your arse down the charity shops too. Find yourself some actual books. Programming books usually cost silly money and cthe charity shops are a gold mine. Look for something by Apress or OReilly
07/27/2014 5:22 pm
HassanPCMR
Ok im learning HTML using codecadamy, thanks for the help guys!
07/27/2014 5:16 pm
Level 46 : Master Princess
OreoVal
HTML and CSS are most basic.
07/27/2014 5:14 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
thegreensniper
07/27/2014 5:09 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Modder
GamerAuthority
I'm still learning but I suggest you learn HTML and CSS before you start with javascript.

and for tutorials, I highly recommend this website that I also use: http://www.codecademy.com/
07/27/2014 5:08 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Taco
ussrcolbert
I would try HTML first, that's what I started with. I learned it from here: http://www.codecademy.com/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome