Honest opinions on my website

JWMAN's Avatar JWMAN11/18/13 7:41 pm
11/24/2013 4:42 pm
bloxParadise_'s Avatar bloxParadise_
Hello people of PMC! I have made a mockup portfolio website, and I want some honest opinions on what you guys/girls think. Any changes/edits you would make?

Please view at 100% zoom, otherwise, many of the textures and fonts won't show up correctly. Thank you.

Many people have been mentioning they can't read the language. That is because it is random text generated online, because I can't think of anything to write in the about me section. : P

Media fire link to picture:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wdh3765dgui293n

Thanks for your opinions!
JWMAN123
JWMAN
Level 22 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

bloxParadise_
11/24/2013 4:42 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
Looks good!
VissieIsBaas
11/23/2013 1:40 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Taco
I've got my own website too, you can see it on http://www.undeadzone.net. Could you give your opinions about my site too? I'd really like that.
btw, I suck at CSS so the layout isn't too well but I kind of feel I compensated that with the PHP and MySQL

EDIT: the website isn't done yet, so that's why for example a search bar and a navigation menu are missing
JWMAN
11/23/2013 4:00 pm
I'm quite flattered that you want my opinion! Overall, I think you have a very nice website. (I even played a few minutes of Shift ). You have a very nice logo and sub header, too. The only thing is, like you mentioned, I would probably change the layout. I took a quick look at the code, too. Your CSS looks nice, I wouldn't be too self-deprecating about that. I even spotted some CSS3 stuff, too. But if you could manage to make the "comments" section float to the right, and make the "most played" section go directly underneath it, I think that would look quite nice. You might want to add a min-width to your main content wrapper, so you won't have overlapping sections. Also, if you want to modern and up-to-date on your HTML, I would probably use all divs, instead of tables.

Also, I had a question to ask you, as well. Does it take a lot of skill with PHP/MySQL to make, say, a user login? Or is that pretty basic?

I hope that helped!
JWMAN123
VissieIsBaas
11/24/2013 5:05 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Taco
there is one which is quite easy to implement, you can find it on http://www.php-login.net

what do you mean with the "most played section" underneath it? do you mean that I should swap the most played section with the ad?
JWMAN
11/24/2013 4:39 pm
Oh wow, that's funny. Sometimes I forget I have AdBlock on Firefox. I looked at it in Internet Exploder, and it looked better. Sorry. But it's good to keep in mind that a lot of users have adblock.
jsoft
11/23/2013 6:31 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Geek
To learn PHP/MySQL takes a bit if you've not used any other programming language but a basic login isn't really that complex, of course making it advanced can take a good while to learn. When I learned PHP/MySQL I used http://www.developphp.com and they have a pretty easy to follow login tutorial.
JWMAN
11/23/2013 7:10 pm
Thanks! Do you know any JavaScript?
jsoft
11/23/2013 7:31 pm
I do indeed
JWMAN
11/23/2013 7:33 pm
Wups. Replied to the wrong person!
BananaInCharge
11/23/2013 1:16 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
Amazing, only one thing comes to mind right now in the improving sense, sharing to social media websites?

With the growing popularity of advertising via Facebook etc, I think it would be very beneficial if you had some way to link/share with buttons in the top right or something.
JWMAN
11/23/2013 1:19 pm
That is actually a very good idea! I hadn't really thought of that before. I think I just might add that. Maybe in the footer, or perhaps instead of the "Color picker: " thing.
Thanks!
JWMAN123
BananaInCharge
11/23/2013 1:22 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
Maybe you could limit the colour picker to something simpler, like a light and dark theme selector? That would leave more room for something in that corner. Great work though, I cannot think of anything else that could be improved if I'm honest, maybe the random text with the arrows could have correct spelling but I think it adds to the playfulness of the site.
JWMAN
11/23/2013 1:27 pm
Yeah, that's why I added that text. I spelled it wrong very much on purpose. I tried to give it a more playful look.
jsoft
11/23/2013 1:04 pm
I agree with Chris, you need to be very careful when using the random scribbles because you can lose a bit of the professional look. Although if your targeting a younger audience such as Minecraft server owners and such you may want to not look as professional but as always you want to use good grammar and spell things correctly and use less slang.

Some Things I Liked:
Color Scheme
List of Your Abilities/Skills
Gallery of Things You've Made

Some Things I Didn't Like:
The Spelling in the Scribbles

Suggestions:
1. Group HTML & CSS Together In One Bubble(They're normal considered to be useless without the other so they're grouped)
2. Put the "Send" Button on the Right Side(Personal Preference of Mine)
JWMAN
11/23/2013 1:18 pm
Thank you for your opinion! Yeah, pretty much every one has suggested I remove the scribbles. I guess I added them to be kind of silly, and give it a down-to-earth feel. But maybe I should just leave them out.
About the HTML and CSS in one bubble, I would do that, except I don't want to make the bubbles too big, and I want them to go all the way across the screen. The only reason I added "Being a Geek" was so that the bubbles wouldn't be to big, and would stretch all the way across. But yes, I understand it would make sense to have them in the same bubble.
Thanks for your opinion!
JWMAN123
ChrisL
11/18/2013 11:10 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
That's just the Lorem Ipsum placeholder text, it's Latin. It's not the final text.

The site looks great, though I think the scribble notes should be spelled correctly and maybe have less slang, it looks a bit unprofessional.
JWMAN
11/18/2013 11:50 pm
Ok, thanks! Yeah, the scribbles are to add a sort of down-to-earth vibe, I don't know if I will keep them or not.
Sometimes it's good to know the person you are hiring is human, and has a sense of humor. ( :
Thanks for your opinion!
JWMAN123
LBUlises1
11/18/2013 11:18 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
Pretty much this.
xxsg24xx
11/18/2013 10:59 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Despite the fact i cant read your language the outline looks pretty nice!

Pros:
-Looks proffessional
-Shows a bit about yourself, Picture, little comments ect...
-Examples of previous work which is highly reccommended coming from a fellow business owner. Now a days its hard to trust many sites and if customers can see your previous work then they feel more inclined to trust you.

Cons:
-Only one language, I highly suggest a English slide since a large portion of the community is english and it'd be a shame for you to lose 50% of your customers
-Ive gotta go to bed so sorry i cant keep on helping
JWMAN
11/18/2013 11:49 pm
Thank you for your opinion! No, I speak English, I just have no idea what to write in the about me section, so I put in random lorem ipsum text. You can get it generated online.
Ninniy
11/18/2013 10:25 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Design is kewl.
JWMAN
11/18/2013 11:47 pm
Thank you!
alphapanda13
11/18/2013 10:21 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner
But pretty nice mate!
JWMAN
11/18/2013 11:47 pm
Thank you very much! Anything you would change?
Dusty15
11/18/2013 10:14 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Narwhal
Decent, but is the text just you typing random letters or a language i don't know?
JWMAN
11/18/2013 11:46 pm
It's lorem ipsum text filler. You can get it randomly generated online.
alphapanda13
11/18/2013 10:21 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner
Also, I believe his done that just in a diff language
JWMAN
11/18/2013 10:11 pm
Anyone? I would be thrilled to get someone's opinion!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome