How do you update a resource pack?

AlphaWolf777's Avatar AlphaWolf77712/13/13 5:18 am
1 emeralds 8.9k 4
12/15/2013 8:47 pm
AlphaWolf777's Avatar AlphaWolf777
So, browsing around the site looking at resource packs, I've noticed that if one is not updated that you can't use it with the current version of Minecraft.

My question is, if I were to make a resource pack myself, which is something that I was thinking about doing, how would I actually update it each time Mojang patches the game so that it will work?

Also, do you need to update your pack every time the game updates? All I would be editing is textures.
AlphaWolf777
Level 34 : Artisan Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/13/2013 5:37 am
Level 22 : Expert Button Pusher
treyishuman
Yes, you do need to make the new textures when an update is release, if the update comes with new blocks, then you will have to make those blocks. New items, then you'll have to make the new items etc.

And the best way to learn is via YouTube or Google.

12/13/2013 1:11 pm
AlphaWolf777
So, that's all you have to do? Say for example between 1.7.2 - 1.7.4, no new blocks were introduced, so I would NOT need to update my theoretical resource pack, correct?
12/14/2013 10:43 am
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
insomniac_lemon
Well, clearing up something here, you don't NEED to add these things for the pack to work, as the new pack format is split up, meaning a missing texture will be used from the default textures.

Now, "not working" is cause by different pack FORMATS..... in 1.6 there was a different pack format, and in 1.5 there was a different pack format still. That's why older packs don't work.

1.7.2-1.7.4 had a small compatibility change, where the "sound" folder was renamed to "sounds" meaning that had to be renamed for it to work.

Final word on this, "updated" is theoretical, really, if the pack works with it, you could just say it's for that version. You could add all or even just some of (any) new textures. Or, you could just say it's for that version even if you didn't make add new textures, doesn't really matter.
12/15/2013 8:47 pm
AlphaWolf777
Awesome, thanks. I think I understand it now!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome