Graphics Card Crashing

coolkevin867's Avatar coolkevin8674/26/14 10:27 pm
4/27/2014 11:07 am
Navbarry's Avatar Navbarry
Hello everyone! I am having some issues with my PC and could use some help. I will describe my situation to the best of my ability, but forgive me if I use incorrect terminology. I have recently been experiencing multiple different kinds of crashes.

The first, which seems to be somewhat common, generally occurs while I am gaming. The game crashes, my monitors turn black, and I get an OpenGL crash. I have researched the fixes behind OpenGL crashes, but I seem to get different crash reports depending on the occasion.

The second type of crash I get is when both my screens turn black, seemingly disconnect from the rest of PC, then my entire computer reboots. This may be caused by my PSU and not my GPU, but I am unsure. I don't have another PC to test the individual parts on, so I am left to what the crash reports tell me.

The third form of crash is more minor, but still annoying. It has the same symptoms of the last crash, but my PC doesn't actually restart. The screens turn black, seem to disconnect, but then automatically reconnect and gives me a pop-up message. This message basically says that my GPU has crashed and recovered.

My theory: The graphics card, after looking through some reviews, has an issue with overclocking. These reviews say that, sometimes, the card overclocks itself too far and has to shutdown. I have the Gigabyte edition of the GTX 770, which means it is overclocked by the manufacturer. I have tried adjusting the base clock offset with Nvidia Inspector, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Also, my power supply has had some recently bad reviews from people who complain about it not sending constant power. If the power flow fluctuates at all, it may cause the entire computer to shut down temporarily. This may be what I am experiencing with at least one of the crash types.

If you guys have any questions about any one of these crashes, I can describe them in more detail. I really need help in deciding if I should send in an RMA or if there is an easy fix. Any help is welcome

Here is my system information if you find it valuable:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470k
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
Graphics Card: GTX 770
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Case: Cooler Master Haf 922
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX750M
OS: Windows 7 (Not sure what version, but I could find out if needed)
coolkevin867
Level 57 : Grandmaster Baconator

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Navbarry
04/27/2014 11:07 am
Level 42 : Master Blob
he highest it got was 90 C
Which kind of shows the card is overheatting
Navbarry
04/27/2014 9:30 am
Power shouldn't be an issue. 750W should be plenty
MomoMomiji
04/27/2014 9:37 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
It's not that the wattage is bad, it's that the TXM line is incredibly unreliable; thus I recommended the AXi line, and gave a bit of leeway if there is an operating condition we aren't aware of.

Also, please explain to me how overheating can cause OpenGL to crash? The card would brick well before the temperatures required to interfere with drivers, so let's send him down the path of "try updating everything" instead of "you got a factory-defunct card."

As a final point, you aren't "overheating" unless you're going above 70C minimum; try going through the drivers and it at least solve the OpenGL issue.
Navbarry
04/27/2014 11:03 am
He stated that his card went up to 90C while gaming. That seems like overheating.
Navbarry
04/27/2014 12:37 am
Hmmmm....Look at the graphics card, are all the fan(s) spinning. Also make sure your case has plenty of airflow and everything is fairly dustfree. If all the fans are spinning and your case has good air flow, contact them and ask for a replacement.
coolkevin867
04/27/2014 9:25 am
I opened up my case a couple days ago and cleaned all the dust out, so I don't think its caused by that. I bought the case because of the high air flow, which shouldn't a problem (at least from the case's perspective, maybe a fan on the GPU isn't working). I am probably just going to end up sending it in anyway, might as well do it now. Thanks for the help.

Xslare
navbarryIt's overheating

Going to disagree here: If the card was overheating, then visual artifacts would be seen shortly before a crash. Also, the guy is running GTX700 series for god's sake; unless he somehow was shipped a lemon, then I highly doubt this will be the case.

Your second two crashes look like power-supply issues; upgrade to one of the AXi series from Corsair for the power supply, and you should be good. If you're willing to blow the cash, then the AX1200i should solve any possible power issue; otherwise just go for the AX860i.

Going back to the first crash though, I would manually make sure that all of your Nvidia drivers are up to date; Nvidia is good at maintaining compatibility for this type of thing (as they've been holding OpenGL's hand for the last few years now), and a driver crash sure as hell isn't going to be caused by overheating.

I was thinking the same thing about the power supply, but wasn't really sure what the problem was. It just seemed odd to me that the power supply and the GPU would begin to fail at the same time period. I built my computer back in June of 2013 and would have expected earlier signs of defectiveness.

My Nvidia drivers are up to date, but I saw in a forum post yesterday that custom installing may fix the issue. I will try that today and see if it works. If not, what do you suggest I do? Should I get a replacement for both the GPU and PSU?
Navbarry
04/26/2014 10:55 pm
When are you looking at the temps? Are the games it's crashing on graphics intensive?
coolkevin867
04/26/2014 11:49 pm
I am going to bed now and will continue testing in the morning, but I didn't get any crashes tonight (which is a very unusual thing). I was watching my temperature as I went through games and the highest it got was 90 C, but usually hovered around 48-50. The fan got up to 1700 RPM, but generally stayed at around 1100. My GPU load never exceeded 50% and my fan speed never exceeded about 40%.

The fact that I didn't crash, but the GPU didn't get to 70 C, tells me that it is probably overheating. Thanks for the help so far. Do you think I should contact Gigabyte and ask for a replacement?
coolkevin867
04/26/2014 11:01 pm
I don't play many games other than Minecraft. It seems to crash quicker on more resource-intensive games, but still crashes on every game I play. I haven't really watched the temperature while playing games, but I will do that now. Once I crash, I will tell you what the last temperature I saw was.
Navbarry
04/26/2014 10:52 pm
IF the screen turns completely BLACK and the computer restarts and then when you login again yoiu see "WIndows reports a blue screen error (Not sure specifically what it says) then probably your GPU is overheating. To check this use this program: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

While gaming if your temps exceed 70 C then your card is probably overheatting
coolkevin867
04/26/2014 10:54 pm
Thanks for the quick response! My graphics card is usually at around 30 C, or at least far below 70 C. I will keep an eye on it, but sometimes I can't even turn it on. Do you think that this is also caused by overheating?
Navbarry
04/26/2014 10:49 pm
It's overheating
MomoMomiji
04/27/2014 12:56 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
Going to disagree here: If the card was overheating, then visual artifacts would be seen shortly before a crash. Also, the guy is running GTX700 series for god's sake; unless he somehow was shipped a lemon, then I highly doubt this will be the case.

Your second two crashes look like power-supply issues; upgrade to one of the AXi series from Corsair for the power supply, and you should be good. If you're willing to blow the cash, then the AX1200i should solve any possible power issue; otherwise just go for the AX860i.

Going back to the first crash though, I would manually make sure that all of your Nvidia drivers are up to date; Nvidia is good at maintaining compatibility for this type of thing (as they've been holding OpenGL's hand for the last few years now), and a driver crash sure as hell isn't going to be caused by overheating.
Navbarry
04/27/2014 9:29 am
I'm going to disagree with you. He said at one point his card got up to 90 C which is just about the crashing point.
coolkevin867
04/27/2014 9:34 am
I just tested it out again and it looks like the program I was using wasn't working properly. I'm not really sure why it wasn't working, but I downloaded the program you suggested and the highest I ever got was 60 C (But I didn't crash). So it may still be due to overheating, I am not really sure at this point.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome