Poll, Which one of these laptop are better for students?

COOOCOOO123's Avatar COOOCOOO12310/19/14 5:25 pm
1 emeralds 2.1k 41
10/22/2014 8:44 pm
anonpmc1206640's Avatar anonpmc1206640
Asus 15.6" VS. MacBook Pro- 13"

Hey guys, for a school project, I have to compare two laptops and take a poll on which one is best for students. Please keep in mind that this is a highly technological school, and that students are on a budget. Thanks!

Keep in mind that I am comparing the 13" MacBook Pro, not the 15"

Here are the links to the websites that I found both of these laptops on.

COOOCOOO123
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/22/2014 8:44 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1206640
[deleted]
10/22/2014 8:23 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
cl4p tp
Don't compare a overpriced Mac to a 200 dollar Asus.
10/22/2014 11:24 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
Asus for low budget students because
1) It will get the job done, especially for school you most likely wont do heavy computing work on it
2) It is 1000 dollars less in price, so its much more affordable for a student
3) It is less likely to get stolen than a MacBook
4) (My personal preference) It runs windows, so most conversions between your computer and any school computer would be easy, and for me it is also easier to use since I have almost never used OSX.

However, it has some cons to it as well.
1) It is a cheaper computer, meaning the parts might not last as long as those on a macbook
2) The computer may break easier (like physically break, not just a screen crack or dent) if it is dropped on accident

Thats my two cents, at least. If I had to choose, I would go for the asus - as much as I hate asus anyways.
10/22/2014 8:20 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
I'd agree with you, except for the 2nd con; I believe the Asus computer would be thicker, so it'd survive a fall better. I'm EXTREMELY CONCERNED when thinking about a Macbook dropping; much like Apple's portable devices, I'm not too sure if it'd survive, due to the thinness of everything.
10/22/2014 11:14 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragon
VeteranDragon
Definetely the Macbook. I use one and it's great for my University studies.
10/22/2014 8:15 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
I would recommend a surface as well. If all you're doing is student related things, get a surface or a Chromebook.
10/22/2014 6:50 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
supernotch893
No offense, but you should actually make an apples-to-apples comparison. Comparing a $1200 laptop to a $300 laptop is like comparing apples (The $300 laptop) to oranges (the $1200 laptop)
10/20/2014 4:31 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Modder
duke_Frans

10/22/2014 8:11 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
Hahahahaha it's sad because it's actually true.
10/20/2014 4:53 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
Creeper7111
I love these pictures
10/20/2014 4:29 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
FCCAGut
You are confused. Everyone knows a Mac is superior in educational tasks. I'd like to see Windows compare.

No, a Mac is not? Windows has more support, always has and always will? You are the one confused...

FCCAGutOf course what more could I expect from a PMC admin, allowing the use of Windows Server 2008 somewhere.

What does this even mean? Windows Server 2008 has it's pros. It can host things that Linux cannot. It can host everything that Mac OSX can't host

FCCAGut
Speaking of which....you are incorrect on the expensive thing, which I'm assuming would be more expensive. You have to purchase Microsoft Office so that's like another $150 and then a new Windows disk, which isn't free. Then there's the anti-virus software yearly subscriptions, etc. That's like $700 right there. A MacBook Air would be about right and then you can use Numbers. An Air isn't overkill and it's cheaper than a Macbook Pro. Of course this is just nonsense right now.

No, Going with a Windows computer is much cheaper in the long run. Office isn't 150, it's 70 dollars a year.

"Get a 1-year subscription including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneDrive cloud storage, and Skype PC-to-phone world calling2 for 1 PC or Mac, plus 1 iPad or Windows tablet." -www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Office-365-Personal/productID.297833200

And most of the time Office comes with new computers, so that renders that false.

Why would you have to pay for a Windows disk? Windows computers come with Windows pre-installed...

And no need to pay for an anti-virus. For one, there are free alternatives that are just as good, if not better. Second, it's a student laptop. Most likely won't be getting many problems.

If you're gonna "correct" someone, at least make sure your information is correct.
10/20/2014 4:03 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
Macbook, or $200 craptop?

The answer is pretty clear.
10/20/2014 4:00 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
if you want cheap, go asus, if you want less viruses go mac, but you can probably find cheaper macs
10/20/2014 3:54 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
You're comparing a über cheap celeron powered laptop to a mac.
10/20/2014 2:12 pm
Level 73 : Legendary Pig
Aequotis
Not saying you shouldn't get a laptop, but personally, I'd get a Windows Surface.
  • Compact
  • Easy to use
  • Multi-purpose (Functions as a tablet and a laptop)

Win-win.
10/20/2014 1:42 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
If you are on a budget, go for the Asus. Macs are not budget computers, they are pretty much the opposite of what you might want if you are on a budget.
10/20/2014 1:48 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
polarluke2
Agreed
10/20/2014 1:35 pm
polarluke2
Im also voting for asus....
10/20/2014 12:17 pm
polarluke2
You are confused. Everyone knows a Mac is superior in educational tasks. I'd like to see Windows compare. Of course what more could I expect from a PMC admin, allowing the use of Windows Server 2008 somewhere. Speaking of which....you are incorrect on the expensive thing, which I'm assuming would be more expensive. You have to purchase Microsoft Office so that's like another $150 and then a new Windows disk, which isn't free. Then there's the anti-virus software yearly subscriptions, etc. That's like $700 right there. A MacBook Air would be about right and then you can use Numbers. An Air isn't overkill and it's cheaper than a Macbook Pro. Of course this is just nonsense right now.[/quote]

Microsoft Office:$75
Anti-Virus:$13(mcAfee antivirus 2015)
Asus laptop:$230
Asus 11.6" Touchscreen windows 8 laptop: $250
Total:$568

Macbook Air:$899(From the apple site )
Total:$899
Macbook pro:$1300
Total:$1300
I think the Macbook would be more expensive....
10/20/2014 1:45 am
Snowyfox
FCCAGutOf course what more could I expect from a PMC admin, allowing the use of Windows Server 2008 somewhere.

This sounds like an insult to me...

FCCAGutYou are confused. Everyone knows a Mac is superior in educational tasks. I'd like to see Windows compare.

FCCAGutSpeaking of which....you are incorrect on the expensive thing, which I'm assuming would be more expensive. You have to purchase Microsoft Office so that's like another $150 and then a new Windows disk, which isn't free. Then there's the anti-virus software yearly subscriptions, etc. That's like $700 right there. A MacBook Air would be about right and then you can use Numbers. An Air isn't overkill and it's cheaper than a Macbook Pro. Of course this is just nonsense right now.

Still cheaper than the MacBook Pro. And students might not be using Microsoft Word; they could be using Polaris Office or OpenOffice or Google Docs if they wanted to. And Microsoft gives dirt cheap prices for educational institutes, I believe. And why would you need to buy a new Windows disk? The Asus already comes with Windows 8. And a lot of higher educational institutes have special stuff that let them provide all students with Windows free at any time.

And an anti-virus software subscription??? My school computers don't even have any anti-virus! They can't fit any with all the bloatware...But seriously, why would they need to get a paid anti-virus? They have no need for such security, and even if they did, Windows Defender would've done the job.

*EDIT* Sorry for my slightly offensive tone. Was just in a tiny bit of shock at your post.

*EDIT 2* Final answer. Definitely going with the Asus. I don't know what these students are doing, but chances are, 4GB of RAM and decent integrated graphics will do the job. They don't need absolutely flawless FPS, or at least, I personally as a student wouldn't mind going through quite a bit of lag in exchange for a large sum of money saved up that I can put elsewhere.

For example...anybody up for adding some tablets together with the Asus laptop? It'll help with the productivity and portability. The tablet also works as a handy little Micro SD card reader.
10/20/2014 1:34 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That's easy. The Asus. A ~$1500 computer of any brand is way overkill for most students, both in price and power. Unless you're planning on using it for other things, like gaming or lots of rendering, it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive computer for word processing and basic internet use. "Good keyboard" or "less lag" does not justify spending that much for such simple tasks.
10/20/2014 1:39 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut
You are confused. Everyone knows a Mac is superior in educational tasks. I'd like to see Windows compare. Of course what more could I expect from a PMC admin, allowing the use of Windows Server 2008 somewhere. Speaking of which....you are incorrect on the expensive thing, which I'm assuming would be more expensive. You have to purchase Microsoft Office so that's like another $150 and then a new Windows disk, which isn't free. Then there's the anti-virus software yearly subscriptions, etc. That's like $700 right there. A MacBook Air would be about right and then you can use Numbers. An Air isn't overkill and it's cheaper than a Macbook Pro. Of course this is just nonsense right now.
10/20/2014 1:46 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I've already got a Windows disk for various OS's and if I needed another, they're cheaper on online software swaps. I didn't think about MS Word, but you don't have to purchase that anyway. There's Open Office for that, which is free. I also don't use any paid anti-virus because I'm smart about my downloads and don't visit unknown sites, which protects me from most of the nasty stuff. I'd still go with the Asus given the price and assuming "student" refers only to basic computational tasks. "Expensive" is entirely relative, so I suppose I'll give you that, but as someone who has relatively no income and is soon to be a student, I would absolutely pick the cheaper, more reasonable option for the tasks I mentioned earlier.

Edit: I'm also not an Admin and have no say in what type of servers we use. I'm not sure if you meant to come off as so hostile, but you did.
10/20/2014 1:31 am
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
"On a budget" that automatically leaves out the Mac. Not even a contest.
10/20/2014 1:34 am
FCCAGut
Not nessesarily. Some schools will provide a Mac or pay for a part of it, discounts, etc. Exactly how much of a budget OP? I don't know but I think we need more information from OP to make a clear choice.
10/20/2014 1:30 am
Level 1 : New Miner
D3b1724
I mean Mac book cost a lot but less lagging/freezing , then maybe Windows 7 Or just a mini computer around 200$
10/20/2014 11:45 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Well, it depends on the laptops specs.
10/20/2014 1:18 am
Snowyfox
I hope I'm not breaking the rules by making 3 posts in a row, but they're all separate and different replies.

I noticed that a lot of people in the polls voted for the MacBook Pro instead of the Asus. It got me wondering how weak this cheap laptop can possibly be. I just looked at the specs, though, and it is still stronger than my Inspiron; that Asus should be able to work just fine with typical programs students are going to use. Of course, they'd be bad if you tried to do gaming on them or more heavy things, but it is unlikely the students will do such things (or maybe the fact that this Asus laptop won't go very well for playing this games will end up being a plus for the teachers).

Now, you said the school is a highly technological school.

What applications are the students going to use?

*EDIT* I haven't voted yet, and I also have the urge to vote for the MacBook Pro due to the sheer overkill of its power that will have a 100% chance of getting the students' job done. But I still believe that perhaps the Asus will fare better. Waiting for OP to respond.

*EDIT 2* Asus has bigger screen, btw. Bigger screens are always handy.
10/20/2014 1:13 am
Snowyfox
Sorry, I mistyped Asus as Acer. Fixed them in both posts.

ANDDDDD, consider this; for the price of one MacBook Pro, you can buy 5 of the Asus laptops. Now consider this scenario; if 5 Asus laptops were then shared between 5 students, that means that 5 students will be on EXACTLY THE SAME working grounds; same OS, likely same software, same ports and instructions to go through, etc.. These 5 students will always be on the same page, so tech support and general work will be easier since they can easy ask each other for help, and all of them know how the others' computers work.

So logically the Asus laptops would also be a good and easy choice for getting the whole class as a, umm, class, instead of a big mess of different machines that are all operated differently.
10/20/2014 1:16 am
polarluke2
Agreed with all
10/20/2014 1:55 am
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
10/20/2014 1:10 am
Snowyfox
Also, OP, are the students bringing their new devices to school? Because if they are, it brings in a new factor; device safety. Bringing ANY form of digital device is already dangerous (for the device, I mean) due to risk of robbery. In this case, it's incredibly obvious that an Asus will probably not get stolen considering there'd be tons of other computers around that are similar in strength or stronger, whereas if you had a MacBook Pro, it'd stand out as a powerful and expensive machine that is also easy as hell to snatch off, so the raw robbery safety is horrendous on a MacBook Pro.
10/20/2014 1:08 am
polarluke2
SnowyfoxThe students are on a budget. A Macbook Pro is wayyyyyy off the charts for these guys. Also, as others said, OP, please, umm, slim down the gap between the two choices.

HOWEVER, logically, the Acer will definitely fare better due to its native usage of Microsoft Windows. Most educational institutions are far too deep into usage of Windows and Microsoft-related products that a Macbook Pro would be considerably odd and tough to deal with due to some incompatibilities. A lot of instructions and the such would also be considerably different on a Macbook Pro.

Sure, you can run Windows on the Macbook Pro but that requires extra effort and you still can't bypass SOME restrictions. Overall the Macbook Pro is far too pricy and overkill for the job. Acer wins.

Agreed
10/20/2014 1:05 am
Snowyfox
The students are on a budget. A Macbook Pro is wayyyyyy off the charts for these guys. Also, as others said, OP, please, umm, slim down the gap between the two choices.

HOWEVER, logically, the Asus will definitely fare better due to its native usage of Microsoft Windows. Most educational institutions are far too deep into usage of Windows and Microsoft-related products that a Macbook Pro would be considerably odd and tough to deal with due to some incompatibilities. A lot of instructions and the such would also be considerably different on a Macbook Pro.

Sure, you can run Windows on the Macbook Pro but that requires extra effort and you still can't bypass SOME restrictions. Overall the Macbook Pro is far too pricy and overkill for the job. Asus wins.
10/20/2014 1:27 am
FCCAGut
It may be too pricey but I'm assuming OP knows this and has reasons for giving us two choices, and judging a computer based on the familiarity based by the institution of an OS is...odd. I'm going by keyboard quality for this one. We got OpenOffice as well.

As a side note what kind of school? I'm thinking college. A lot of people have MacBooks where I live and they go to college.

Edited due to harshness of being unfair.
10/20/2014 12:57 am
Level 33 : Artisan Cowboy
HasselHox
Macbook
-Longer Battery life
-Goodish keyboard (Although you could always get a ducky mini)
-Good OS
10/20/2014 12:38 am
FCCAGut
If your planning on writing a lot, get the MacBook. The first thing I look at on a laptop is the keyboard, if you overlook it you're going to dread using it for the rest of your life. The MacBook has one of the best keyboards to type with, those and Lenovo ideapads.
10/19/2014 5:52 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
Creeper7111
Why are you comparing a $1300 MacBook Pro to a ~$300 Asus laptop?
10/19/2014 5:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
it's really 230, lol.

But he's right, it's like comparing a 2014 Lamborghini Aventado and a 67 Toyota Corolla? The lambo will beat the corolla in everything? Probably even get better fuel mileage?

Compare a same price laptop with a same price laptop.
10/19/2014 5:38 pm
Level 21 : Expert Mage
WolfCubed
I say a mac book less viruses
10/19/2014 5:34 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
COOOCOOO123
Also, feel free to leave any pros/cons that you think of either laptop.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome