PC Turns On At Random Times

Woodilicious's Avatar Woodilicious5/13/15 11:09 pm
1 emeralds 223 5
5/14/2015 4:09 pm
Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've posted a PC-related question on the forums. Probably because I've mastered all of the insides and outsides of my PC, lol.

Anyway, I would usually ask the PC Group directly in the Skype Chat about my problem, but I think the rest of the community could give me some input.

So I've had my "newly" upgraded PC for about 2 months now. I upgraded my PC to an i5-4460 and an ASRock H97 Pro4.
Ever since I upgraded, I've noticed two things-- first of all, my computer will randomly turn on for no reason when I'm nowhere around it. It just randomly comes to life, sometimes when I'm not even home.

I would usually not be worried about this problem, but a different factor has made me slightly worried. My Intel Stock Cooler is a hit or miss device. Once in every 10-ish starts of my PC, cpu cooler fails to work. The fan just doesn't move at all.

There have been two instances of my PC randomly turning on with a cpu cooler-failure. Luckily, I have been at my house in both of those situations. (First time I was using my laptop next to it. Second time I was at the other side of my house, and my brother told me that my PC turned on and "the fan on the silver thing isn't spinning.")

Anyway, since I fear that my PC will turn on while I'm not home, and my cpu cooler won't start up, I decided to come to the community to see if anyone knows what might be causing the problem.

(Just for the record, if my PC's cpu cooler does fail to start, I believe my case fans should be enough to keep the cpu under 80c. Gotta love multiple air-flow optimized 140mm case fans lol)

Does anyone know what might be causing these two problems? (Random starting and CPU Cooler not-turning-on)
Yes, my CPU cooler is plugged in properly. That was the first thing I checked. I'm going to replace the cooler anyway in a few days, so if it's a problem on the motherboard, that will be obvious eventually.

My Computer Turns on at "Random" Times

(hehehe but seriously, my PC does randomly turn on)
Woodilicious
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/14/2015 4:09 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Well, it could be anything. When you turn it off, with Windows 8, it doesn't completely turn off (if you have fast boot on, which is default), it just puts it in deep sleep mode, and uses really no power. The OS or something software related could be waking it up.
But that's one out of many things that could be happening.

Next time you turn it off, turn your PSU off, and then after about 8 seconds, switch it back on (the psu, not the computer) and see if it still randomly turns on.
05/14/2015 3:26 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut12
What times does it happen? Certain versions of BIOS can turn the computer on and off automatically on a time clock. There's also a thing called WOL, or Wake On LAN. Of course that wouldn't explain why it would turn off. Another feature most BIOS have is called Last State, if a motherboard detects power it will turn back on after it has power restored and is caused by an unexpected shut off of power like a power outage or unplugging it.

I think it's a feature not a bug.
05/14/2015 3:14 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
YES! This same thing happened to me too! At midnight, bam. Scared the poop outta me. I found that it was my WiFi dongle waking it up, but I unplugged it at night.
05/14/2015 3:02 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
NamechangeMaybe your PSU is faulty?

Is someone turning it on when you arent around?

Who still turns their computer off?

For real though, it is probably randomly turning on because your PSU isnt connected to your power button or whatever properly,

maybe the wire is being hit by something?

For the CPU cooler, I just dont know. Why do you ask so many questions, woody

Thought it might be a faulty PSU. However, I connected my PC up to my old PSU (had to unplug my 970 though), waited about half an hour, and the PC still turned on by itself. Bleh.

No one is turning it on when I'm not around. As I mentioned previously, it sometimes happens when I'm sitting right next to it. lol

Me. I do.

The power button connects to the motherboard, m8, lol. Haven't tried it yet, but it might be backwards (however I don't believe it matters)

I ask so many questions because ily bb <3
05/14/2015 12:12 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
It could be a number of problems. Maybe your PSU is faulty? Is someone turning it on when you arent around? Who still turns their computer off?

For real though, it is probably randomly turning on because your PSU isnt connected to your power button or whatever properly, maybe the wire is being hit by something?

For the CPU cooler, I just dont know. Why do you ask so many questions, woody
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome