Sooo... Satellite Internet isn't good. (RANT)

overcode's Avatar overcode5/27/15 2:21 am
1 emeralds 909 4
5/27/2015 3:47 pm
anonpmc1279828's Avatar anonpmc1279828
So we just moved to a remote location... From San Diego. I grew up with Comcast, which was OK. Wasn't bad, wasnt good. However, when i experienced fiber, i diddnt know what to do with it!. Now that we switched to the sky, i have noticed some problems other than terrible speed.

1. For some reason, direct IP/Streaming chats (the pmc chat) just fail. They dont take time to load, it just fails out. I have tried requesting and renewing IPs through my router, but it just doesnt work correctly. I suspect it has to do with ping. Satellite is known for terrible ping. However once the ping is established, there is a decent speed.

2. Limits. So limits suck... Simply because with android development projects constantly syncing, it caps out the entire network. Id say a typical sync is around 16k SRC Files. This is fun to watch because every file has to ping. If i where to zip it up and upload it, i bet ya it would finish pretty quickly. but with this amount of data going through this network simply caps out and i end up with a terrible speed. Usually, my RAID 0 hard disks will bottleneck way before the speed dies on FIBER, but not with this.

Anyways, if you hate satellite, or just dont even like imagining living with it, please share your experiences. I mean, i have had slow speeds before, and lived with them through high school, but i mean... Avoid satellite if you can.
overcode
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter