Is the mobile market destroying the game industry?

PixelHor's Avatar PixelHor9/28/13 3:07 am
9/28/2013 8:39 pm
-Rusty-'s Avatar -Rusty-
Hi, I'm Pixel, and just 5 minutes ago I read something horrible about one of my favourite game developer. Lucas Arts were develeping new, unnanounced games in which I was sorta un-happy about because they would never see the light of day! That was until I read what they were about. I quote from gamespot 'a cross-platform multiplayer game that was reportedly going to allow users to play as a customizable character within the Star Wars universe, "smuggling and trading between Facebook, tablets, and consoles.' and also 'Outpost, a Star Wars version of Zynga's popular social game FarmVille, allowing players to build empires. A third game--Death Star for iOS--was to put players in control of the Empire's iconic hulking space ship' I mean really? That makes me happy that even EA and DISNEY are working on the star wars games.

And also another game that people were looking forward to: Deus ex the fall. That was until people saw that it was iOS. These big titles should stay console only because that is where their true fan base and potential comes out. But no... They put it on iOS and android to milk the consumers of micro-transactions. I for one, suddenly hate the game dev for doing stuff like that. Anyone got opinions on this?
PixelHor
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

-Rusty-
09/28/2013 8:39 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
this is just a short example...

Android Minecraft: 6.99
Minecraft: 20.00
Kfcnyancat
09/28/2013 8:36 pm
Level 25 : Expert Pony
They are. When the kids who are 3-6 years old now grow up, they will effectively kill the handheld market, leave consoles as novelty devices, and even severely dent PC gaming. This is because they were mostly raised on mobile gaming, and nothing else. It sickens me to see my young cousin playing Angry Birds on iOS, a game that is essentially the definition of "What you see is what you get," because when I was the same age, I played Sonic Heroes on Xbox, and that actually involved imagination to get the complete experience.
ChrisL
09/28/2013 8:03 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
No... the mobile market is a new part of the game industry. You aren't mad about mobile gaming, you're mad about micro transactions, basic time-wasting games, and social games. Admittedly, all those kinds of games are a big part of the mobile game market, but there are good games out there, and just because a game is mobile doesn't mean it's going to be filled with micro transactions.
XBlackRavenX
09/28/2013 6:55 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Idk man, I like mobile games. Minecraft PE, most of Kairosoft's games... What I hate are the freemium games, cuz I can't really enjoy them knowing I have to pay to get ads removed and such. Sorry, but I just can't. But I don't think it will destroy the game industry as long as they don't start building playstation mobiles (yes I am aware of the existence of Sony Xperia) and xbox mobiles so we can play the games. Also if they do that, companies start making freemium games for them '-'
Karrfis
09/28/2013 5:43 am
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
mobiles will kill the game industry when i can play skyrim on my phone
PixelHor
09/28/2013 6:03 am
That's what I hope to never see :c
thenoobbomb
09/28/2013 5:26 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Narwhal
Ask yourself a question: 'Do I see mobile games as full games?'
and
'Do I see mobiles and tablets as full on gamin devices?'
MegaHaagie
09/28/2013 5:39 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Engineer
^ This.
I have nothing more to say.
PixelHor
09/28/2013 5:16 am
Anyone else got more opinions?
Jaxtrm_
09/28/2013 3:52 am
Level 24 : Expert Taco
I've always liked handheld consoles. Handhelds let you go anywhere with your games. Many games have sold incredibly well on such consoles. To name a few, Tetris (35 million) (100 million on mobile phones), most Pokémon games (at least several millions), New Super Mario Bros (30 million), and Angry Birds (1... billion). It's much less tedious to just sit it one place while having to grind away. You can do other things while playing handhelds. Handhelds are just worth so much. Just because they can't hold up to the capabilities of home consoles doesn't mean they're not as good, even for iOS and Android.

I have neither. Nintendo handhelds are all I can judge.
PixelHor
09/28/2013 4:01 am
I support HANDHELD consoles, but most games now-a-days on the iOS and android have plenty of farmville clones, hell, even I do play handheld consoles because they are dedicated to games. And imo, iPhone games are dedicated to paper.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome