Extremely low FPS - HELP!

nammerbom's Avatar nammerbom1/2/15 2:26 pm
1 emeralds 1.4k 19
1/8/2015 12:29 am
nammerbom's Avatar nammerbom
Hello,

So recently I added a new solid state drive to my computer and reinstalled windows so my computer would boot up faster, and I reinstalled minecraft. However for some reason now, when I play, I'm only getting ~10-20 fps? Yesterday I was playing minecraft with 500 fps, so something is obviously wrong.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4670 3.4 ghz processor
GPU: Asus STRIX gtx 970
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1Tb
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 gb

I also have 2x4gb of ram. If any other information is needed I will be happy to tell.

A few of my speculations: Java or drivers not running properly? The game crashed earlier saying "Pixel Format not Accelerated" and that I needed to update my drivers. I did that though, and nothing changed. I also copied the old appdata file I had to my new one, if that could make any difference.
nammerbom
Level 40 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/08/2015 12:29 am
nammerbom
Just in case anyone still is following this thread still, just thought I would say I did manage to fix the problem. My cpu is running a comfortable 28 degrees now instead of 95 and I am once again able to play mc at 1000 fps.

Apparently I knocked the cpu cooler off the cpu when I was fiddling inside my case and it wasn't making full contact with the cpu.

Much ado about nothing
01/06/2015 5:43 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Narwhal
MineOut
Qwertpop1
nammerbom-snip

Wait a second.. I normally get like 25 fps.. 500?

OP has a high end GPU and a good processor.
01/06/2015 5:38 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Qwertpop1
nammerbomHello,

So recently I added a new solid state drive to my computer and reinstalled windows so my computer would boot up faster, and I reinstalled minecraft. However for some reason now, when I play, I'm only getting ~10-20 fps? Yesterday I was playing minecraft with 500 fps, so something is obviously wrong.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4670 3.4 ghz processor
GPU: Asus STRIX gtx 970
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1Tb
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 gb

I also have 2x4gb of ram. If any other information is needed I will be happy to tell.

A few of my speculations: Java or drivers not running properly? The game crashed earlier saying "Pixel Format not Accelerated" and that I needed to update my drivers. I did that though, and nothing changed. I also copied the old appdata file I had to my new one, if that could make any difference.

Wait a second.. I normally get like 25 fps.. 500?

Are you on a laptop?
01/06/2015 5:18 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1638765
[deleted]
01/06/2015 12:38 am
nammerbom
Ok I have a few things to add to this, I think I may have narrowed down to a few things.

I know that it has to have been something I changed when I put in my SSD, not directly meaning that the problem is with the SSD, but potentially cables being bumped or not pushed in all the way when I was rearranging things. I will be checking this weekend when I have time to make sure that they are plugged in correctly.

Another thing is my CPU...
I've installed CPUID HWmonitor so I can see how much volts and what temperature my components are running at while playing games, and I've noticed that when idle, the cores can reach up to 93-94 °C, and when playing upwards of 100 °C. Pretty sure with my processor that that is far to hot to be running at.....
I will be trying a few things to cool down the processor a little better. Currently my computer is in an enclosed area under my desk with an opening at the front only, which may be causing slow heat dissipation towards the rear fans and thus overheating the computer quickly. Also, I did have to take off the cpu cooler twice to rearrange the pins that secure it to the motherboard, which i think may have disrupted the connection between the TIM and the CPU.

Please note that I am using the stock intel cooler.

What are your guys' suggestions?
01/06/2015 2:35 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Clean off the thermal paste on the cooler and CPU, then put some nice paste on it.
01/02/2015 7:32 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
My post above comes directly from the word and mouth of a computer technician from HP. One that works at the executive level fixing Megs computer when she can't figure at how to use it (Meg is the CEO of HP, if you didn't know)

aka my father
01/02/2015 7:35 pm
Leeberator
Does Meg use a Dell?
01/02/2015 7:36 pm
CascadianX
Dad says Meg uses an HP Elitebook Folio 9480m
01/02/2015 7:30 pm
Leeberator
As Killertoad stated and you sort of skipped over,

KillertoadHave you got all drivers for your videocard, chipset, audio, everything? When you re-install, it removes all drivers from your computer.

Installing your motherboard drivers are essential to system stability and performance. Make sure to get them installed.
01/02/2015 7:25 pm
CascadianX
nammerbom
SherwoodGamingSome software I use to handle a lot of this correctly.

http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php

Try another game and tell us what the results are.

I also would look into the possibility you have a faulty Graphics card, or a dying one. It is very possible that could be the case.

I doubt the graphics card is faulty, I got it 7 days ago

This is even more reason to look into a faulty card.

The possible reason you should look into

1.) Drivers
2.) MAKE SURE the power cord into the graphic card is directly plugged in, not splitting to other devices.
3.) Check your Wattage. Add up all the wattage of all your devices in the computer, and compare it with the power supply, you might need get a higher wattage.
4.) Check fans and thermo throtting may be taking place.
5.) Check power wattages on the BIOS.
6.) Make sure you didn't cut or modify any power cords to increase your fan speed... stupid idea.

7.) If all out checks out, check your CPU
01/02/2015 5:16 pm
CascadianX
Some software I use to handle a lot of this correctly.

http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php

Try another game and tell us what the results are.

I also would look into the possibility you have a faulty Graphics card, or a dying one. It is very possible that could be the case.
01/02/2015 5:19 pm
nammerbom
I doubt the graphics card is faulty, I got it 7 days ago and it had been working excellent ever since. I seem to have helped the game a little bit by redirecting the game to the correct java executable. Originally it was directed to my C: drive which is my SSD, which would then further direct it to my D: drive which is the HDD. I've now directly sent it to the executable on my D: drive and now I'm getting a better fps, but its still much slower than it should be.
01/02/2015 5:13 pm
nammerbom
I just installed all of the drivers, still running at a very low fps
01/02/2015 4:28 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer
ThatGamingKitty
Go to https://optifine.net/ and install optifine. It usually boosts fps up to 50-200
01/02/2015 4:55 pm
nammerbom
If you observed the parts I have you would know I don't have a low end computer. I also already use optifine
01/02/2015 2:50 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Have you got all drivers for your videocard, chipset, audio, everything? When you re-install, it removes all drivers from your computer.
01/02/2015 2:40 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Lad
PieHoletheepic
Is VSync on? Toggle it and see what happens, also in video setting you can set your fps, try that.
01/02/2015 3:33 pm
nammerbom
Checked, VSync isnt on

Also I am currently updating my drivers so I will see if that helps
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome