How to get less lag?

ValleyDew's Avatar ValleyDew11/27/14 12:23 pm
12/10/2014 5:14 pm
ValleyDew's Avatar ValleyDew
I hate how every so often, my minecraft laggs out, especially in pvp. How do I avoid it?
ValleyDew
Level 14 : Journeyman Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

VeryMadCrafter
11/27/2014 12:24 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
Download Optifine.
Carrotblock
12/02/2014 5:38 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
I have Optifine and I have a windows 8.1 Acer Notebook Laptop, I get 50-60 FPS. This laptop isn't made for games, but I have ROBLOX and Minecraft on it. I used to get VERY laggy games, 10-20 FPS ,but I downloaded this and I have the best games I ever played
IDKCharlie
11/27/2014 12:27 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
Most people will say get a better PC. While this is true, good PCs can be expensive. So I'd go with what VeryMadCrafter said and download OptiFine, or turn your settings down, or both.
ValleyDew
11/27/2014 3:47 pm
I HAVE Optifine.
VeryMadCrafter
11/28/2014 10:27 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
Good.
But if it still lags you gotta get a new computer
WTFshady
11/27/2014 3:48 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
What are your PC's specs?
ValleyDew
11/27/2014 9:56 pm
Horrible. Thats what they are.
RAM: 4.00GB(3.49GB usable)
HDD:500GB(465GB)
CPU:AMD E-350 APU with Radeon Graphics. 1.60GHz
Manufacturer:Acer
I usually get 20-40FPS, but sometimes I lag,
Lpswheat
11/27/2014 9:57 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Modder
Can you tell us what is the name of the computer, and if it is a desktop or a laptop.
IDKCharlie
11/28/2014 11:14 am
Level 25 : Expert Archer
That's why you lag. I'm on a 4gig of RAM AMD PC too and it lags a lot.
Jex_Infinite
11/27/2014 9:59 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
20-40 FPS is lagging. Turn the settings to minimum, don't use a texture pack, assign more memory to Minecraft.
Lpswheat
11/27/2014 10:00 pm
I think the main reason is because of the APU, I would get a dedicated gpu for around $100 that will make it better because it will take off some heat and maybe you could do a crossfire
Histor the Noob
11/28/2014 2:07 am
Level 28 : Expert Geek
Nah, 20-40 FPS isn't lagging.
0-10 FPS is lagging.
And besides, I use texture packs, and my MC doesn't lag at all.
BACK TO TOPIC:
Get Optifine
OR Get a better PC/Macintosh
Snowyfox
11/28/2014 10:37 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
^^
Macintoshes (not the fruits) count as PCs, though. And he already has Optifine.

OP, don't be silly. You're part of the low-spec group like a whole lot of us, including me. 20-40FPS is great. Get used to it.

*EDIT* Also, to all the people who still ask OP to save up and get a new computer even though he already stated that his parents are not in the mood of getting them a new computer, please. Not everybody has the capability of saving up.

*EDIT 2* I didn't see much, but based on the 30 seconds of peeking I've seen, your CPU is kinda like trash, OP. But based on your FPS, it looks like it's as strong as an i3, so...
Swag Lord
11/30/2014 2:44 am
Level 28 : Expert Network
20-40 fps means that OP's game lags a little. This means that if he performs certain actions, such as going to the nether, his game will reach "0-10 FPS". You probably have a good computer, or you're not using a texture pack that takes up a lot of space on your computer. He has optifine. And why are you suggesting a mac??
Histor the Noob
12/02/2014 6:43 pm
*cough* *cough* Do I have to be the smart one here? I get around 30 FPS, and I can enter the Nether fine. Besides, I've been told this twice, Mac's are basically PC's, just made by Apple.
And, by the way, my laptop isn't that powerful, but I can run like, really high-qualitiy texture packs, and my FPS stays in the 20-40 zone.
So yeah. 20-40 FPS isn't lagging.
Lpswheat
11/27/2014 10:02 pm
I know the problem now, it's only a dual core cpu.
Rice
11/28/2014 2:23 am
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
2 cores is more than enough to run minecraft. It's probably the GPU causing the lower frame rates, if this is a desktop (which I suspect it isn't, although it may be) I would purchase a new GPU.
_ENDER_DRAGON_
11/27/2014 11:51 pm
Level 26 : Expert Dragon
It not even an AMD A series. I wouldn't bother. There's not much you can do to get playable fps.
Lukerocks1233
11/28/2014 2:33 am
Level 24 : Expert Archer
put your render distance to lowest, graphics to fast change gui scales to medium, put fps higher, particles minimal
PadawanAmy
11/28/2014 10:36 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Princess
at least 30 fps is playable, and texture packs dont make it lag, i changed to faithful and i got MORE fps
nammerbom
11/28/2014 10:49 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
Ok....

Nonono. What do you mean by "Lags out" - does your game get such a low fps that its unplayable or crashes, or do you get kicked from the server because of lag?

There is a huge difference between the two types of lag. Fps lag is all client side - it is determined by how powerful your computer is, how high a resolution of a resource pack you have, what kind of mods youre running, and the density of entities and movable in game works that are within your viewing distance. All of these can be fixed very easily, but in different ways.

If you're getting kicked off a server because there is to much lag, more commonly refered to as "lagging out", that is solely based on your ping, how good your internet strength is, and how well the server itself is performing. An example of this lag is not an fps drop, but rather seeing players teleport around like crazy, in game chat being very slow, and random noise spikes. THIS IS NOT FPS LAG. If you have lag like this, check you internet connection - do you have 5 bars? Is there a storm going on? Do you regularly have problems with naturally slow internet? Also, check your ping - exit out of the minecraft server and look at the little 1-5 bar symbol on the right side of a server listing. If you hover it, it tells you the ping to the server (Lower is BETTER).

It also doesn't have to be your computer at all - if the server is straining itself to keep the amount of players it has on with minimal resources, you will notice a lot of lag as described in the previous paragraph, because the server actually cannot keep up with the demand and physically has to slow itself down. This type of lag is only controllable by people who own the server, as they can fix it by getting a better plan or server, or by removing useless tasks running in the background.

I hope this clears up the difference between the two lag types - by the sound of it you didn't understand that? I could be wrong though but this is still a good thing for people who don't understand the difference between lag types.
ValleyDew
11/28/2014 12:34 pm
It is a desktop tower, and its from emachines. and I have optifine, & will refuse to not use resource pack, because I use one that is suposed to make it less laggy.
LuxLacis
11/28/2014 12:59 pm
Level 42 : Master Fox
CorkyW
11/28/2014 1:49 pm
Level 21 : Expert Architect
I'm with nammerbom on this 1. My desktop is on 4gig and with Optifine I stay around 40fps. A lot say 30-40 fps is lagging, no it's not. I can run circles around others at this rate. But as you describe, I see lag spikes often in multiplayer. It's not fps lag as nammerbom mentioned, it's server side. 1 key way to know/tell the difference is when you see a lag spike (players teleport, delayed opening of chest/furnace/crafting table etc) simply ask the other players if they experienced it too. If all are hitting the same spikes it's not your computer (regardless of your fps), it's the server.

But on topic of keeping your PC running at it's best, obviously use Optifine as everyone has mentioned, do a thorough cleaning of your PC regularly, and open your task manager and shut down any un-needed processes running in the background when you're playing games. You can also try a game booster like Razor or Advanced System Cares booster that automatically shuts down numerous processes and keeps them off while activated.
As for your texture pack, it may not be specifically causing any lag on your end but if it's not absolutely needed during game play, simply remove it. Any little thing helps so take it off and try just to see if there's a difference. If you have mods installed (especially mods that aren't usable in multiplayer or specific servers) remove em from the mods folder. I find it best to empty everything from your MC files so you're playing with the plain ol MC like the day you downloaded it. (excluding Optifine of course)
illuminati128k
11/28/2014 2:52 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Get a better computer or upgrade your current one, simple.
Irish
11/28/2014 4:23 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Yes, because everyone can afford to blow cash on a brand new laptop -_-
illuminati128k
12/01/2014 3:09 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Make money, whether it be legally or illegally. Simple.
Terrobility
11/28/2014 3:03 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
You can get a brand new laptop for about £400, that will run minecraft at 60fps without any lag on other stuff like video editing and all that stuff. Check out amazon or dabs.

EDIT: 60fps on a 64x texture pack, 40fps on a 256x texture pack
ValleyDew
11/28/2014 4:34 pm
My parents don't let me get a new computer,
ZombiePepsiz
11/28/2014 4:56 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Dragon
Save cash to get a new computer. The next time your parents get a new computer, convince them to get a good computer. I bought a macbook pro for $1300, and I can run a steady 120 fps with max settings. It doesn't lag with video editing, and it could run most light pc games.
CorkyW
11/28/2014 9:22 pm
Not everyone can afford a better comp. The point is anything over say 60fps on MC is useless. 120fps doesn't make you move any faster than 60fps etc. Like I said earlier I can run circles around people with 40fps. So spending top $$$ to get 120fps isn't worth the money when it wont affect your game play at all.

And again, if his (or anyone's) lag spikes are server side then ANY fps is null and void. Wont matter how high or low yours is, if the server sucks then EVERYONE'S gonna lag regardless.
ZombiePepsiz
11/28/2014 10:09 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Dragon
Like you said, Not everyone can afford a better comp. And I didn't buy my computer for PC Gaming either. I use it all-around. Since when do people buy a computer for just "one" game?
CorkyW
11/28/2014 10:27 pm
I agree......but you'd be surprised lol.
Find Them Creepers
11/28/2014 9:26 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
nammerbomOk....

Nonono. What do you mean by "Lags out" - does your game get such a low fps that its unplayable or crashes, or do you get kicked from the server because of lag?

There is a huge difference between the two types of lag. Fps lag is all client side - it is determined by how powerful your computer is, how high a resolution of a resource pack you have, what kind of mods youre running, and the density of entities and movable in game works that are within your viewing distance. All of these can be fixed very easily, but in different ways.

If you're getting kicked off a server because there is to much lag, more commonly refered to as "lagging out", that is solely based on your ping, how good your internet strength is, and how well the server itself is performing. An example of this lag is not an fps drop, but rather seeing players teleport around like crazy, in game chat being very slow, and random noise spikes. THIS IS NOT FPS LAG. If you have lag like this, check you internet connection - do you have 5 bars? Is there a storm going on? Do you regularly have problems with naturally slow internet? Also, check your ping - exit out of the minecraft server and look at the little 1-5 bar symbol on the right side of a server listing. If you hover it, it tells you the ping to the server (Lower is BETTER).

It also doesn't have to be your computer at all - if the server is straining itself to keep the amount of players it has on with minimal resources, you will notice a lot of lag as described in the previous paragraph, because the server actually cannot keep up with the demand and physically has to slow itself down. This type of lag is only controllable by people who own the server, as they can fix it by getting a better plan or server, or by removing useless tasks running in the background.

I hope this clears up the difference between the two lag types - by the sound of it you didn't understand that? I could be wrong though but this is still a good thing for people who don't understand the difference between lag types.

Lagging out means your connection is bad and you get disconnected.
TheGrim123321
11/28/2014 10:35 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragonborn
1x1 texture pack, optifine, upgrade ram or GPU
GeekyPaul
11/28/2014 10:39 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
A 1x1 texture pack would add next to no performance improvement, but totally destroy the gameplay. This is Minecraft, not Trove or Cubeworld or Timber and Stone or Stonehearth.
Lpswheat
The only mobo that supports his cpu is built on and does not have capability to have a gpu.
DiamondBeastMC
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
Play skyblock
ValleyDew
11/29/2014 11:43 am
I just hate it when I, no matter if its sp or mp, get huge lag spikes that bring me down to 0-10fps. I only allocate 1024Mb to minecraft, because thats all I can add.

Also, what do chunk updates do? Do they decrease the fps? Because I get 25-50 chunk updates.
CorkyW
12/01/2014 2:44 pm
Yes chunk loading will affect fps in most cases. Not always, but most times yes. And at 25-50 chunks, I'd def say yes. My settings rarely allow chunk updates to go over 10. Sometimes i'll get a jump to 15 or so but for the most part I stay below 10. I don't see the need for huge chunk updates
Histor the Noob
12/02/2014 6:36 pm
Chunk updates are when you go into a new chunk, and it starts to load that chunk.
FCCAGut
11/29/2014 11:13 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
Guess I have to step in to give my 2 cents....learn how a computer works and don't focus on just Minecraft or Java. Your RAM is too high if it's 1GB, more RAM actually makes problems worse.

Chunk updates are like sand that falls, water makes a waterfall, etc. Or that's my understanding of it.

Do spring cleaning on your computer. Problem solved.
Pbat1000
11/30/2014 2:49 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
Your CPU is great for being dual-core, but the speed only being 1.6ghz just doesn't cut it. If you have the money, get a new machine, because there is only so much that small optimizations can do.
escape9179
12/01/2014 2:59 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
Really all you can do is lower your render distance, enable VBOs in the settings, and leave your graphics on 'Fast'. Since your CPU isn't multicore enabling VBOs should help gain you a few more frames.

Recommended settings:

Render distance is huge.
Slozthe
12/01/2014 4:07 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Can I recommend installing the FPS+ mod alongside your Optifine? It changes some of the math in Minecraft to load everything more efficiently and can really boost client-side fps. Other than that, I'd suggest playing around with your Optifine settings and maybe look up some good configurations for them.
Skitto493
12/01/2014 4:30 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Dragon
20-40 fps is fine. I get 15 fps and I don't notice
CorkyW
12/01/2014 5:53 pm
Exactly. That's why I say if people are fighting to get 100+ fps they're just wasting time and money. There's no need for it when the majority players are in that 20-40 fps range with no lag. I average 28/29 fps and play just fine. I don't start lagging until something causes a drop to around 10 or less
Find Them Creepers
12/01/2014 5:59 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Technically speaking, the amount of lag you have depends on your monitor's refresh rate. If your monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz, and it probably is, anything under 60 is lag, and anything over 60 is overkill, which is why those with powerful systems use VSync.
_ENDER_DRAGON_
12/02/2014 11:05 pm
Level 26 : Expert Dragon
Not sure where you heard this from but that is not true. Your monitor's refresh rate and fps are very different things. I have a 60Hz monitor and I can tell a difference when I get 60fps vs when I get 800.
Killertoad
12/02/2014 11:23 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
No, your monitors refresh rate is the max framerate the monitor will be able to show. 60hz = 60fps/144hz = 144fps.

If you have a 60hz monitor, then you can't tell a difference from anything over 60. But you can feel a difference. Say you are running 800, and it drops to 300? That's lagging, and your eyes won't be able to detect it (as your monitor isn't showing that many frames) but you'll feel it when the game jerks when you move. I can feel a frame drop with my mouse without knowing the frames I'm getting. I can also see a difference if it's from 60 down to 40 or so.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome