Is my laptop good enough for filming?

AugmentedBuilder's Avatar AugmentedBuilder10/19/16 1:41 pm
1 emeralds 590 8
10/22/2016 7:38 am
AugmentedBuilder's Avatar AugmentedBuilder
Hey guys, I got a rather cheap MSi gaming laptop. It is the CX62 2QD model with an Intel Core 15-4210H and a Nvidia Geforce 940MX. I own a build team and we film build cinematics and I was wondering if this is good enough for filming. It runs at around 110-400 fps without shaders and with optifine, but it runs at around 20-40 fps with shaders. I understand that shaders greatly reduce performance, but it would still be great if you guys told me if this is suitable for what I wish to do. I know that fps can look higher if you make a video faster (which I have been doing), but is the video quality itself expected to be good? Again, I now that I will probably be considered ignorant and people will say that it depends on what I use to record, but yeah.

And also, is this overall a decent laptop, considering I got it for around £500? I mean it is definitely very good considering my old laptop could only run minecraft at 12 fps on average but I just wanted to know if you guys think this is decent...I don't know much about laptops and such.
AugmentedBuilder
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/22/2016 7:38 am
AugmentedBuilder
wow, you guys are so helpful! all this help is much appreciated!

On a side note, is there a good way to increase the fps of minecraft with shaders on? I can easily make the scenes look like they are at a high fps by speeding it up, but it is still kinda irritating when I am trying to film a build timelapse and every time someone uses a large command my game has a few lag spikes.
10/20/2016 5:49 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
ICEThat
Yes, you will be able to record just fine. You may struggle with recording large modpacks, but other than that you will be fine. I suggest using OBS Studio, because it works flawlessly once set up and tutorials are easy to find.
10/20/2016 4:58 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
noctusserver
Yep, your computer should be able to film decent. And as jtrent238 said try fraps its a very good program which gives you a lot of options.
10/20/2016 4:33 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
jtrent238
Try Fraps(Paid) or Open BroadCast Software(Free) Both Great for recording.
10/20/2016 3:54 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn
McHorse
Will this same method work with Minema?

Yes, and it will work well, and as I stated in my previous post, daipenger (the creator of BauerCam) actually maintains the Minema's fork.
10/19/2016 5:00 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
xBalloraFnafx
Heh your laptops better than mine
10/19/2016 3:43 pm
AugmentedBuilder
thanks! I have actually been using BauerCam and then filming at an incredibly slow pace, and then multiplying the speed to make the overall frames seem smoother. Will this same method work with Minema?
10/19/2016 3:22 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn
McHorse
I think any decent laptop is good enough for filming... if you use a mod called Minema and you make cinematics, but I'm not really sure how well it's going to play with shaders. However I saw daipenger's Minema fork which has some kind of shader stabilization routine.

By the way, it also depends on which types of videos you want to make. For cinematics and machinimas, Minema is quite good, however for timelapses you'll have to use frame based camera mod (like BauerCam from the same daipenger). For LP and other types of videos, I don't think you'll be able to use this setup much smoother.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome